shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on 2.6 H&A round LGD

dianaR

Rough_Rock
Hello!
I’m new here! Let’s see if I can explain my story without typing out a wall of text. Basically, I’m getting a new ring because I haven’t worn my ring in years since it doesn’t fit me. I went to get it resized but when the jeweler inspected it, he said if I knew about the fracture/chip in my diamond. I had no idea about it. (I can’t win the lottery but I can fracture a diamond? Thought it was really difficult to do that!) so now the jeweler is afraid to touch my diamond and then I can’t get it resized, which means I can’t wear it.

Went to another jeweler and he got me this 2.64 H&A LGD. (LG557235616) saw it in person and it was beautiful. And I got a great price on it. I just learned about using the HCA tool and I’m relatively new to all this diamond business. I put in my IGI report number and got a cut score of 1.3. The light return was deemed very good as well as the spread. I don’t know why I’m bugged on this. I thought it’d be excellent! I guess maybe the experts can help me feel better about my diamond. Maybe stats don’t mean everything?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a beautiful stone! I wouldn't worry about the HCA. It's a rejection tool, and all it's really saying is that the stone has proportions that work well together and is worth further evaluation. Have you been able to wear it around lots of different lighting environments to see how it performs?

dianaR

Rough_Rock
It's a beautiful stone! I wouldn't worry about the HCA. It's a rejection tool, and all it's really saying is that the stone has proportions that work well together and is worth further evaluation. Have you been able to wear it around lots of different lighting environments to see how it performs?

I wore it around the jewelry shop and it sparkled like crazy. I didn’t wear it outside or anything. He showed me an ideal cut diamond but it didn’t do anything for me. Plus, it had a shadowing of some sort in the middle. I did find it odd that he didn’t seem to think there was much difference between the H&A cuts vs ideal

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wore it around the jewelry shop and it sparkled like crazy. I didn’t wear it outside or anything. He showed me an ideal cut diamond but it didn’t do anything for me. Plus, it had a shadowing of some sort in the middle. I did find it odd that he didn’t seem to think there was much difference between the H&A cuts vs ideal

I would ask to wear it by the window or in an area without the jewelry store lights. Those lights can make the poorest cut diamonds sparkle. A diamond can be well cut without having H&A, and an H&A doesn't necessarily mean a diamond is well cut.

dianaR

Rough_Rock
E8EB0EB1-DAC7-4992-BB77-780DEF2F7723.jpeg
Here’s a photo that I took inside the store. Excuse my dry hands lol. I’ve already committed to the stone at this point. He’s creating the setting for it.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello and welcome to PriceScope, dianaR!

Don't worry about the HCA...it's a mass rejection tool, not an individual selection tool.
It uses the averaged and rounded numbers off the grading report, so it can not provide an actual light performance analysis.
The reason for the estimated VG result for light return is likely due to the slightly steeper 35.5° crown angle in the 40.6/35.5/57.5 combo.

If you look at the pavilion depth, it is listed at 42.5% which means that some of the actual measurements of the pavilion facets are probably in the shallower 40.4-40.5° range, which can actually be better for the slightly steeper 35.5° crown angle.

Your diamond was listed in Ritani and Brilliance virtual inventories for around $2400 before your jeweler secured it. Hopefully your price was in the ballpark.

Here is the link to the vendor video:

And here is the link to your grading report (you can download a digital PDF copy):

Congratulations on your new diamond - it looks great!

Last edited:

dianaR

Rough_Rock
I would ask to wear it by the window or in an area without the jewelry store lights. Those lights can make the poorest cut diamonds sparkle. A diamond can be well cut without having H&A, and an H&A doesn't necessarily mean a diamond is well cut.

Ahh ok. Maybe that’s what he was trying to explain to me, but it wasn’t being communicated properly. So I’ve been on YouTube watching different videos to educate myself. And majority all said super ideal or H&A cuts are superior to ideal cuts. Could you give elaborate on this a bit more?

@DejaWiz thanks so much for the info! I was actually curious to see how much my jeweler paid for it but couldn’t find anything on it except what StoneAlgo provided. That’s kind of cool you can find any info on the diamond. I paid a little over 3k for it so I’m not complaining. I was going to go with Whiteflash. They had one very close to the one I have, except they were asking $7300 :oops2:o_O

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
dianaR you did darned good on price for shopping local!

dianaR

Rough_Rock
Woohoo! THat's a nice stone!

It looks so massive on my size 4 finger :lol-2:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahh ok. Maybe that’s what he was trying to explain to me, but it wasn’t being communicated properly. So I’ve been on YouTube watching different videos to educate myself. And majority all said super ideal or H&A cuts are superior to ideal cuts. Could you give elaborate on this a bit more?

I want to clarify again that an H&A diamond does not necessarily mean it's well cut. So an H&A diamond is not necessarily superior to an ideal cut diamond.

I'm going to direct you to one of sledge's fine posts on what differentiates a super ideal cut diamond.

dianaR

Rough_Rock
I got my ring yesterday! :) I am a terrible photographer. DBC85D24-193C-4201-BF6B-AC2A8B33FC79.jpeg

Attachments

• 41F013F4-F49D-4599-BA5C-2D5D124033CD.jpeg
    41F013F4-F49D-4599-BA5C-2D5D124033CD.jpeg
    125 KB · Views: 27
  • 71E62A3B-F968-4D94-BBD4-9C2D85F0EA65.jpeg
    71E62A3B-F968-4D94-BBD4-9C2D85F0EA65.jpeg
    151.2 KB · Views: 27

dianaR

Rough_Rock
Hello and welcome to PriceScope, dianaR!

Don't worry about the HCA...it's a mass rejection tool, not an individual selection tool.
It uses the averaged and rounded numbers off the grading report, so it can not provide an actual light performance analysis.
The reason for the estimated VG result for light return is likely due to the slightly steeper 35.5° crown angle in the 40.6/35.5/57.5 combo.

Question: so the HCA report said very good for light return. Is there a difference visually between very good vs excellent?

If you look at the pavilion depth, it is listed at 42.5% which means that some of the actual measurements of the pavilion facets are probably in the shallower 40.4-40.5° range, which can actually be better for the slightly steeper 35.5° crown angle.

Your diamond was listed in Ritani and Brilliance virtual inventories for around $2400 before your jeweler secured it. Hopefully your price was in the ballpark.

Here is the link to the vendor video:

And here is the link to your grading report (you can download a digital PDF copy):

Congratulations on your new diamond - it looks great!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Question: so the HCA report said very good for light return. Is there a difference visually between very good vs excellent?

Not always, depending on the factors that the HCA can't account for. Your diamond appears to have outstanding light return, based on your pictures.
What do your eyes and mind tell you?

dianaR

Rough_Rock
Not always, depending on the factors that the HCA can't account for. Your diamond appears to have outstanding light return, based on your pictures.
What do your eyes and mind tell you?

Oh I think it’s great! I was just wondering if I had an excellent light return diamond to compare to, would I be able to see the difference? Curiosity killed the cat.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Oh I think it’s great! I was just wondering if I had an excellent light return diamond to compare to, would I be able to see the difference? Curiosity killed the cat.

Rest your mind...because I also think your diamond looks great.

dianaR

Rough_Rock
Rest your mind...because I also think your diamond looks great.

Ah ok. Sorry… my OCD is kicking in.

My brain: “What’s the difference between very good and excellent?! Is there more sparkles and fire, etc?? Would a person be able to detect the difference??”

And so forth… but now I’ll tell it to behave and be quiet. Lol thanks for putting it at ease. For some reason I can’t add emoticons

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Ah ok. Sorry… my OCD is kicking in.

My brain: “What’s the difference between very good and excellent?! Is there more sparkles and fire, etc?? Would a person be able to detect the difference??”

And so forth… but now I’ll tell it to behave and be quiet. Lol thanks for putting it at ease. For some reason I can’t add emoticons

You're going through a very normal phase of hyper-scrutinizing where all the "what if" questions start to form and swirl around in the brain. It will subside with time... especially after you get your first few compliments from randos while you're out and about. :)

dianaR

Rough_Rock
You're going through a very normal phase of hyper-scrutinizing where all the "what if" questions start to form and swirl around in the brain. It will subside with time... especially after you get your first few compliments from randos while you're out and about. :)

Oh, so this is a thing? Maybe that’s what it is.. I’m “what if-ing”. I haven’t been out and about so maybe I need randos to approach me with compliments. Compliments aside from my MIL lol. Thanks for helping a newbie out :)

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I think it looks beautiful. Congratulations! Just enjoy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results