shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts about this red spinel?

viridian

Rough_Rock
Hello PSers! It's been quite a while since I last posted.
Recently, I've been really into red spinels, and I got a great offer from a seller I know :) It's a Vietnamese red spinel weighing 1.33ct. I'll attach the pic they sent me :D
B4A9F44B-3BBE-4EED-9712-99E93546EDAF.jpeg
They also sent me a video however I can't seem to be able to add that here:(
What do you guys think? It's below $500 and I like how it's more pinkish than orangish. My only concern is that it might look TOO pink IRL, but what are your thoughts?
I always try to avoid brownish tones or darker reds, so I'd like to hear from my spinel experts here! :)
Thanks as always!

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
I love it, and I think it's a great price. I don't really see orange in it though.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it, however I am not an expert.

DK :kiss2:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Recently, I've been really into red spinels, and I got a great offer from a seller I know :) It's a Vietnamese red spinel weighing 1.33ct. I'll attach the pic they sent me :D
What do you guys think? It's below $500 and I like how it's more pinkish than orangish. My only concern is that it might look TOO pink IRL, but what are your thoughts?
I always try to avoid brownish tones or darker reds, so I'd like to hear from my spinel experts here! :)
Thanks as always!

Good price. It’s not a vivid red, but a lovely shade. It’s an orangey red to my eyes. Pink is just a lighter tone of red.

That's a fabulous price, pinkish or not. It's beautimous!

welcome_back001.gif

viridian

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much! I was away for a while so I couldn't reply back to them but really y'all the best! :) I actually ended up getting a different spinel from the same seller, which to me seemed to have a better saturation of red. I wanted something that didn't have a lot of orange undertones and I hope that I've made the right choice!
The stone is a 1.1ct cushion at the same price. I hope it'll arrive soon so that I can share some pics here at PS :)

I've also uploaded the video on YouTube since PS doesn't allow me to attach a video.
Link:

Below are the vendor's pics :)
Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 6.57.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 9.45.49 PM.png

Thank you all so much! I was away for a while so I couldn't reply back to them but really y'all the best! :) I actually ended up getting a different spinel from the same seller, which to me seemed to have a better saturation of red. I wanted something that didn't have a lot of orange undertones and I hope that I've made the right choice!
The stone is a 1.1ct cushion at the same price. I hope it'll arrive soon so that I can share some pics here at PS :)

I've also uploaded the video on YouTube since PS doesn't allow me to attach a video.
Link:

Oh yeah, that's a vastly superior saturation than the first, IMO! Naturally, I don't want to see an obvious orange modifier in my red spinel, BUT jussssssst a touch can give it that neon stoplight quality. I know most folks would rather them be much more pink-leaning. Not me. I want my red spinel to look RED and I want my pink to look PINK. Come at me, bro! :lol-2:

But this color is very typical of Vietnamese reds... deep, but not overly dark and richly saturated. Congrats and enjoy!

kimberlyqkim

Shiny_Rock

Link:

adore that color! Do you mind sharing the vendor?

viridian

Rough_Rock
Oh yeah, that's a vastly superior saturation than the first, IMO! Naturally, I don't want to see an obvious orange modifier in my red spinel, BUT jussssssst a touch can give it that neon stoplight quality. I know most folks would rather them be much more pink-leaning. Not me. I want my red spinel to look RED and I want my pink to look PINK. Come at me, bro! :lol-2:

But this color is very typical of Vietnamese reds... deep, but not overly dark and richly saturated. Congrats and enjoy!

Awww thank you so much! I totally agree with you on how spinel reds should be red and pinks should be pink! This is actually sort of like an experiment for me, as it's my first time getting a red spinel and buying from this seller, but I hope it looks better IRL. Will post more when it arrives! ;)2

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks as always!
It will most likely be a little pinker in your sunlight if you are not in the tropics. Warm colors get more vivid the closer to the equator.

landscape

Shiny_Rock
This is a common color of Vietnamese spinels, pinkish red with orange tone, and some merchants call it red lotus. It is a beautiful spinel. It is very beautiful when it is facing the light source, but brown in the dark. 500usd/1.3ct is a normal price
The color just like the right one as below DSC_2723a.jpg

Last edited:

viridian

Rough_Rock
Hi PSers!
The spinel actually arrived on Sep 20th but I've been busy lately so I'm writing a review now!
As some of you have mentioned, they do seem to shift A LOT depending on the light source. I really love them under sunlight or most indoor lighting though so I don't mind! The spinel weighs about 1.1ct and is a chubby elongated cushion cut stone. It doesn't have any neon to it, but it's almost pure red without any brown or orange undertones, which is what I originally wanted so I'm quite satisfied about it :)
Also, considering the price, I guess I can say that I'm happy about my new red spinel! What do you guys think? :)
red spinel 1.jpeg red spinel 3.jpeg red spinel 4.jpeg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As long as you are ok with all the shifts, since you said you are ok with the price. Cutting looks good. Seems like there's no clarity issues either.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a vietmanese red which I like to call "strawberry red" Its not a red red but it sure is pretty. As long as you're happy with the color and shifts for the price, that matters most of all.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a beautiful color!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I think it’s extremely beautiful, so well cut, and what a great price!

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Hi PSers!
The spinel actually arrived on Sep 20th but I've been busy lately so I'm writing a review now!
As some of you have mentioned, they do seem to shift A LOT depending on the light source. I really love them under sunlight or most indoor lighting though so I don't mind! The spinel weighs about 1.1ct and is a chubby elongated cushion cut stone. It doesn't have any neon to it, but it's almost pure red without any brown or orange undertones, which is what I originally wanted so I'm quite satisfied about it :)
Also, considering the price, I guess I can say that I'm happy about my new red spinel! What do you guys think? :)
red spinel 1.jpeg red spinel 3.jpeg red spinel 4.jpeg
Nice stone! You did well! Nice photography too!

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely stone and it seems like a great price! Wear it in health.

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock

Link:

WOW! Awesome stone at a sweet price!!! You did incredibly well!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
It's a definite keeper for me! I love that mix:kiss2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results