shape
carat
color
clarity

Thought I was halfway done when I chose the stone....

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
I would like to show all of you the OEC I finally purchased (from OWD) in the "temp" setting that Adam found for me (found kicking around in his shop, I guess. I assume he bought a ring, took the stone out to sell loose, and had the setting left over). I had told Adam my criteria for a setting and we both looked around some, and couldn't find exactly the right thing. He sent me a picture of this setting which at first I didn't love, then it started to grow on me. Eventually, even though it's not my forever setting, we decided to set the stone so I could wear it now, and in the meantime think about what setting would be the real deal for me. I do want to say I have nothing but love, love, love, for OWD and Adam who is a customer service KING as far as my experience goes. He is endlessly patient, methodical, answers all emails promptly, and exudes a desire to make sure his customers are happy.

The setting has some things I like. I'm trying to categorize them to help me figure out what setting to eventually end up with. The important things for me are: LOW profile--can't have anything sticking up high off my finger. Second, no pave or halos. I think the stone is big enough as is, and lots of tiny diamonds makes me nervous (I'll lose one and never notice). Third, I have big beefy hands and fingers, so a tiny delicate shank will not work. I like the face on view where the shank gets wider as it gets closer to the stone. This setting does all those things.

What is not working (I think, your opinions are what I'm looking for) is the size of the baguettes and emerald accents--too small next to a 3 carat stone, I think. But I'm not sure. Also, this stone looks amazing in so many different lighting situations and the baguettes seem relatively dead in comparison. I think any side stones I have, and I think I would like some side stones on the shank, need to be equally flashy.

I am just finding it so difficult to picture the perfect setting for me. So many halos out there (not for me), so many delicate shanks (not for me), and lots of stuff I find a bit too fussy. Even the setting I'm posting is a little too fussy, too much going on. Anyway I'm not sure what my question to all of you is, except: what do you think of the current setting, and do any PS settings come to mind that are low profile, no "flying saucer look" (big head on skinny shank), somewhat vintage looking, and all the other things I can't articulate but want very badly :angel:

Thanks for ANY input at all. I really rely on your expert opinions and good taste. BTW stone is 3.10, OEC, L color, VS2, 9.02 X 9.04 mm.

img_1499__1_.jpg

img_1500__1_.jpg

img_1507__1_.jpg

img_10423.jpg

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
BTW here are a few I like but not sure what the side view is like, which is very important to me. And whether they are low set enough.

belike.jpg

greenlake2008.jpg

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! Congrats on a stunner of a stone!! I really like the first of the setting options you posted. That little bit of space on each side is really pretty! I also like the milgrain edging and double prongs.

What do you think of this setting?

screen_shot_2016-01-08_at_9.png

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Um. Can I have your current setting when you are done?

And can I get more pictures of it.

:oops:

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm line behind Gypsy! I love your current setting.

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
I know this setting has some things going for it!! It's just not precisely what I imagined. But I really am enjoying it for now, and can take my time figuring what I want for keeps. I guess I never really thought of emeralds, although I have a clear memory of my mom's wedding ring (which got stolen when I was a kid and she never replaced it) and it was small diamonds with emerald accents.

I'll post a few more pics in daylight tomorrow with a real camera. My phone camera isn't really cutting it.

I did start a dialogue with Greenlake Jewelers in Seattle (a day trip from where I live) and did some planning with a designer there. I'm not sure I can post anything from my design page on their website but I'll try, so you can see what I'm envisioning.

I feel VERY cognizant, however, of the pitfalls in designing one's own ring. Too often, it seems, we laypersons turn out not to be very good jewelry designers. But we don't seem to know we're no good at it until we get a ring that doesn't make us happy. I want to avoid this.

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
SparkleySoprano, that Beverly K setting has something of the feel I want, although the fancy shanks seem a little too wide for the stone. But the general feel is right.

And Gypsy, you help me find the perfect setting and maybe I will send the old one your way. :angel:

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
OK it seems I can post pictures from the design page I started at Greenlake.

I began with this ring from Leigh Jay Nacht. I really like this ring and I have seen some other PSers have it. It's a classic Art Deco style. However the picture is with a 1.5 carat stone and LJN don't size up the shank and the scrolls for a bigger stone, which changes the proportions too much, I think.

Then I saw this on the Greenlake site. I like parts of it but want prongs not bezel, and it's a little too rustic looking--needs refinement. So we inserted the Art Deco head with fishtail prongs from the LJN ring:

The Greenlake ring has very small accent diamonds, and I think I would want bigger and blingy-er accents than what is shown.

I think it works but I'm worried I've created something that won't work IRL. The side view is a little too "flying saucer" on a thin shank for me. Would make the head wider in the north south direction, so it doesn't have to taper so rapidly to the shank. If that makes sense. Also, the fish-tail prongs are historically correct but I worry I might find them clunky. I suppose that could be refined, as well.

But my fear is I've created a monster that contains many elements I like but isn't actually pretty. Design-oriented PSers, any thoughts (Gypsy??)?

glfishprongring.jpg

glbezeldeco.jpg

ljndecoscrollfront.jpg

ljndecoscrollprofile.jpg

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1452313854|3973066 said:
Um. Can I have your current setting when you are done?

And can I get more pictures of it.

:oops:

I was just about to post the same thing! :oops:

starrylight

Shiny_Rock
I think you need to define what you like a bit more and find more direct inspiration. A handful of other settings:
jabel.jpg
edith.jpg
viola.jpg

All images came from Cross Jewelers.

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the pics and links, Starry Night and Gypsy. Many of them have features I like. I will say I have looked at every single ring on Single Stone and Leigh Jay Nacht, not once but many times. Sometimes I find something I like from the top but almost always it sits too high from the side. That seems like the single biggest problem for me--finding what I like in a low profile version. Or it's bezel set and I want prongs. And I worry about trying to tweak a ring that has been designed a certain way for a reason. Remember the Monty Python skit in the pet shop where the customer wants a bird and all they have is a beagle? The clerk calls into the back, "Harry, can you do a budgie job on a beagle?" Or maybe it's a terrier. And a budgie, if I remember, is a parakeet.

DonnaH

Rough_Rock
I think your setting is beyond stunning. what about double claw prongs with graduated French cuts an milgrain

_35947.jpg

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
I do like shanks with French cuts. How sparkly are French cuts? Are do they have more sparkle than baguettes, which I don't find sparkly enough?

DonnaH

Rough_Rock
I'm no pro with French cuts but I believe they o provide more sparkle than bags. I actually keep going ack to look at your current ring and it is georgeous.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sagefemme|1452378972|3973368 said:
I do like shanks with French cuts. How sparkly are French cuts? Are do they have more sparkle than baguettes, which I don't find sparkly enough?

Yes, they do have more sparkle than baguettes, they do need to be kept very clean though.

Show me your top three settings that you love, EXCEPT for how high they sit. I have a thought.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your "temporary" setting. Egad, it's fantastic. Also can't wait to see gypsy's ideas on other settings you like.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sagefemme, The setting your diamond is currently set in is GORGEOUS!!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results