shape
carat
color
clarity

Thought I purchased a Round .81ct /E/ I1 diamond..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

brian833

Rough_Rock
Im new to buying diamonds, and I think I made my own mistakes, but as did the Jeweler.

I purchased a .81ct E I1 round brilliant diamond (inclusion visible to naked eye) 9-10-02

I just had the stone appriased today 9-11-02, and it is a FG color diamond, the Jeweler I purchased this from told me it was an E colored diamond, as did the information that was in the sleeve the diamond came in. The company has a 100% satisfaction garuntee.

What I want to know is, When I go talk to the store manager, what can I "hold them repsonsible for" is this "fraud" ? I would rather not deal with this company again, so I just want my money back.

Also, what is ballpark retail for this stone..?

bingbongbug

Rough_Rock
Well, if they have a 100% satisfaction guarantee, then you seem okay, provided that their guarantee isn't somehow limited in the small print.

I would not suggest accusing them of fraud, as it will only make them defensive and angry. It is not unheard-of for there to be a two grade difference between appraisers, and fairly common for their to be a single grade difference. Color grading does have some level of subjectivity, and some people might grade a low F as a high G, and vice versa.

If you are no longer happy with your purchase, just tell them that you had an appraiser tell you it was a lower color grade than you thought, and you'd like to return the ring, under their guarantee. I'd recommend being polite and honest.

I hope you find a stone that you like better. Good luck!

brian833

Rough_Rock
thanks for the reply.

straight forward and honest is the best approach im sure.

The appraiser told me they may have mistakenly graded it as a E due to strong Blue flourecence.

here are the specs on the stone

measurements 6.02mm (AGD) x 3.58mm
cut Round brilliant
color f-g
clarity I1
girdle Slightly thick
Culet none
polish very good
symmetry good
flourecence strong blue
total weight .810ct

bingbongbug

Rough_Rock
A strong blue is usually something to avoid in a diamond. While it may make the diamond look whiter in artificial lights, when you get into natural light, it can cause a chalky look in your diamond. I have always been advised not to select a diamond with more than a medium fluorescence, although personally I don't think I would choose one with even a faint fluorescence. Fluorescence can have a huge effect on price, especially for a strong one. You didn't mention what you paid for the stone, so I don't know if the store really took advantage of you on that spec or not. But if they did not even mention that it could have an effect in different lighting situations, I'd be a bit concerned.

I am a little dubious about the idea of grading a color better than what it is, because of fluorescence. Graders understand fluorescence and the results of it.

If it were me, I'd return the stone and look for a better one online. There is so much more selection on the internet and much better prices! Also, ask plenty of questions and read up on the diamond tutorials, so you know what to look for in a diamond and will know you made a good purchase. :)

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results