shape
carat
color
clarity

Thought about this setting?

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I've been dragging my feet about spending the last of my insurance money (we were robbed a few years ago and I lost all my jewelry except for my wedding set which I was wearing). Nothing is grabbing my attention. I think because everything I want is double my budget. :roll:

I came across this ring on ebay, and the setting has grabbed my attention. I've never seen a cabochon halo before, and I really like the look. The diamond in the ring s smaller than I was looking for, so I don't think I'm going to buy it, but I was wondering about the costs to have something like this replicated. What do you guys think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131703535766?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't give you a number, but I think the costs would be pretty high since the sapphires, in all likelihood, would have to be matched and custom cut for you.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
A lot of money is my best guess.

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
That's what I'm wondering - more than they are asking for the ring, perhaps?

If the ring is actually art deco, and if those are actually sapphires rather than glass, I would assume they are synthetic as it was common at the time, which are generally less expensive. But I'm wondering these days where someone would be able to source cab sapphires for a halo like this? What kind of maker could copy such a piece, and would it be more than this ring? I love the halo, but I don't love the gap between the diamond and the halo, and I ideally would like a larger diamond. So I don't love this particular ring, but I'm unsure if I could get it made in the future.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Possibly more than they are asking for the ring, yes.

I wondering you can pop that center bezel out and put a bigger stone in the outer bezel.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1454373321|3985366 said:
Possibly more than they are asking for the ring, yes.

I wondering you can pop that center bezel out and put a bigger stone in the outer bezel.

I've thought the same thing. If the center stone is indeed .71 ct, then the center using the outer bezel could probably accommodate about a 1.5 ct stone. But that estimate is based on rough calculations and using MRB proportions - you'd probably be better off asking the seller to measure the outer bezel for you and going from there... ;-)

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the information, it is very helpful. I'm going to think it over for a while. As it is the last of my insurance money, I'm dragging my feet big time. I would probably want another old cut diamond in the ring. I could possibly sell the one in the ring now to help offset the cost of a larger stone. I love antiques, so there is that in its favor. But it seems like every ring I have bought lately is a halo of some type because they are so trendy, and I'm not the biggest halo fan anyway, so I was planning on getting a solitaire. But then everything I like is double my budget. :roll:

These are all RHR by the way. I love my wedding set too much to upgrade.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results