shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughs on this diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

thumpcbd

Rough_Rock
Been lurking for a while and want some thoughts on this diamond. This is from a local B&M jewler who comes very highly recommended for their workmanship and selection.

Round Brilliant 1.01, G, SI1, Very Good Cut, ex-ex GIA certified

depth: 61.6
table: 58
crown: 33
pavillion: 41.2
girdle: Slightly Thick to Thick, Faceted
flourence: no
culet: no
measurements: 6.39 - 6.43 x 3.95 mm

price: $7,500

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/30/2009 4:38:32 PM
Author:thumpcbd
Been lurking for a while and want some thoughts on this diamond. This is from a local B&M jewler who comes very highly recommended for their workmanship and selection.

The thick girdle makes it face up about 5% smaller than a proportionately cut 1ct should. That would be the reason it received VG in cut rather than Excellent (the star and lower half lengths are not listed and could also be factors). It could be a nice performer but there is no way to know without more info; preferably an ASET or ideal-scope image.

I am of the opinion that the convenience of working with a local jeweler is worth a premium. However a search on this site''s landing page for 1.00-1.05 G SI1 rounds of similar table/depth turns up numerous diamonds of proper spread for $6700 and lower, with cut grades from AGS Ideal & GIA EX on down. Is there a setting included in the price you were quoted?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/30/2009 7:53:28 PM
Author: John Pollard

The thick girdle makes it face up about 5% smaller than a proportionately cut 1ct should. That would be the reason it received VG in cut rather than Excellent (the star and lower half lengths are not listed and could also be factors). It could be a nice performer but there is no way to know without more info; preferably an ASET or ideal-scope image.

I am of the opinion that the convenience of working with a local jeweler is worth a premium. However a search on this site''s landing page for 1.00-1.05 G SI1 rounds of similar table/depth turns up numerous diamonds of proper spread for $6700 and lower, with cut grades from AGS Ideal & GIA EX on down. Is there a setting included in the price you were quoted?
Ditto Sir John''s advice.

Welcome Thum!

thumpcbd

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your feedback. No, this does not include the setting. I found the star and lower half lengths, if that helps.

Star length: 55%
Lower Half: 75%

Thanks for the help, I am still looking but I think this is a strong contender.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/30/2009 7:53:28 PM
Author: John Pollard

I am of the opinion that the convenience of working with a local jeweler is worth a premium. However a search on this site's landing page for 1.00-1.05 G SI1 rounds of similar table/depth turns up numerous diamonds of proper spread for $6700 and lower, with cut grades from AGS Ideal & GIA EX on down. Is there a setting included in the price you were quoted?

Date: 2/2/2009 10:17:52 PM
Author: thumpcbd
Thanks for your feedback. No, this does not include the setting. I found the star and lower half lengths, if that helps.

Star length: 55%
Lower Half: 75%

Thanks for the help, I am still looking but I think this is a strong contender.
You're welcome Thump. I want to make sure you saw a couple of flags, above (highlighted). The star & lower halves are within EX tolerances so the girdle running to thick is what knocked it to VG.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results