shape
carat
color
clarity

This VS1 looks a little cloudy, what do you think?

proposing222

Rough_Rock

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
proposing222|1454183952|3984241 said:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.25-carat-f-color-vs1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-840849

It looks like the surface has a lot of imperfections. Will this affect light performance significantly? I imagine I won't be able to see any of the imperfections with the naked eye, but my concern is more about the effect of them on the light performance.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the rest of the cut looks very excellent, and passes the HCA tool with flying colors.
Look dirty or dusty, i.e., photographed without being cleaned.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks good. It is not uncommon to find a diamond photographed without cleaning at JA

proposing222

Rough_Rock
Awesome, thanks guys. I had assumed they would clean them before taking pictures, but I believe you are right on this one.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Checking with their expert (not customer service rep) would not hurt for extra assurance

FancyIntense

Shiny_Rock
It has internal and surface graining which can cause haziness/cloudy. I don't think it's a coincidence you are seeing something.

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
FancyIntense|1454650020|3987057 said:
It has internal and surface graining which can cause haziness/cloudy. I don't think it's a coincidence you are seeing something.

Hey FancyIntense :wavey:
The cloths that are used for cleaning diamonds often produce allot of lint when they get worn (or if made of lower quality) - that's all this is - someone forgot to blow off the lint after cleaning it - if those were inclusions it wouldn't have received a VS1 clarity grade.
When looking at diamonds, if you are able to tilt the stone so that light reflects off the facet you are looking at, that's how you can tell if something is an inclusion in the stone, a surface reaching (open), or a blemish on the surface of the stone...or in this case lint ;-)

FancyIntense

Shiny_Rock
ADN|1454650882|3987064 said:

The cloths that are used for cleaning diamonds often produce allot of lint when they get worn (or if made of lower quality) - that's all this is - someone forgot to blow off the lint after cleaning it - if those were inclusions it wouldn't have received a VS1 clarity grade.
When looking at diamonds, if you are able to tilt the stone so that light reflects off the facet you are looking at, that's how you can tell if something is an inclusion in the stone, a surface reaching (open), or a blemish on the surface of the stone...or in this case lint ;-)

The AGS report says surface graining and internal graining not shown, not me. It has surface graining and internal graining and received VS1. The stone has a bit of dullness to it to me like the poster stated. I know what lint on diamonds looks like, I look at Diamond by lauren diamonds all the time and they always have lint and dust on them, but never look dull. Just saying. :angel: I'm sure you're correct about the lint, hopefully the op will report back with great joy.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FancyIntense|1454655874|3987085 said:

The AGS report says surface graining and internal graining not shown, not me. It has surface graining and internal graining and received VS1. You said if those were inclusions it wouldn't have received VS1? It did. The stone has a bit of dullness to it to me like the poster stated. I know what lint on diamonds looks like, I look at Diamond by lauren diamonds all the time and they always have lint and dust on them, but never look dull. Just saying. :angel: I'm sure your correct about the lint, hopefully for the op's sake.

Yes, the report indicates that the diamond has surface graining and internal graining.
http://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/faq/surface-graining-pinpoints-or-additional.htm
Those are added as a side note and "non-issue", not determining factors for VS1 clarity.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
That diamond is not cleaned properly before putting it in the machine. It's not graining that you see. And the effects from graining and clouds don't look like that.

It has grade setting inclusions as crystal and secondary inclusions cloud feather. At VS1 it's not graining that would make this stone cloudy.

And the stone does not look cloudy or hazy to me. That's just dust.

Also I've experience with that Machine making the video. It might make some stones look cloudy with some specific crown/pavilion angles. And that's just obstruction because of camera being too close to the diamond. (however this is not that case).

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
FancyIntense|1454655874|3987085 said:

The AGS report says surface graining and internal graining not shown, not me. It has surface graining and internal graining and received VS1. The stone has a bit of dullness to it to me like the poster stated. I know what lint on diamonds looks like, I look at Diamond by lauren diamonds all the time and they always have lint and dust on them, but never look dull. Just saying. :angel: I'm sure you're correct about the lint, hopefully the op will report back with great joy.

It's not shown because it's not the clarity setting characteristic - it's only shown on the plot if it's a characteristic that sets the grade (or a significant identifying feature). The graining isn't the clarity setting characteristic in this stone - the grade setting inclusions are the very small crystal and cloud under the table.
I'm talking about all of the white lint covering the outside of the stone, not the colourless graining that can be seen running across the pavilion facets under the table when the stone is at a certain angle (when you look really closely, and which in my opinion..and AGS...doesn't affect the stone at all) - it's only mentioned in the 'comments' because it can be used as an additional identifying feature.

If those were inclusions, they also wouldn't be called graining – this is graining (sorry about the link - it's a PDF link - just google 'GIA graining pdf' and it's the first result:
http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?blobcol=gfile&blobheader=application/pdf&blobheadername1=Content-Disposition&blobheadername2=MDT-Type&blobheadername3=Content-Type&blobheadervalue1=attachment;+filename%3DWN06A1.pdf&blobheadervalue2=abinary;+charset%3DUTF-8&blobheadervalue3=application/pdf&blobkey=id&blobtable=GIA_DocumentFile&blobwhere=1355958253214&ssbinary=true

I too look at diamonds all the time - when buying, sorting, grading and selling...and I know what lint looks like as well ;-)

Hopefully the OP loves the stone - cheers :)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is dirty, but JA will have a gemologist look at it to settle any doubts.
That is what I would do just to make sure.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
flyingpig|1454657194|3987091 said:
Please correct me if I am wrong.
It is one of those things that can and has happened but it is not that common.
The labs are pretty lenient on graining and I have seen cases where it was not deducted for it, but was bad enough to make me not buy the diamond in a vs graded stone.
I am not saying that is the case here however.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, it is definitely a dirty diamond!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results