shape
carat
color
clarity

this spinel or this sapphire

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have yet to get them in person but these are vendour shots. The spinel is 8.5 x 5.5 mm and is 1.18ct. The price is $1000. The sapphire is 2.04ct and is 6.8mmx 5.35 mm and is unheated. It is $1785. I plan to put whichever one I get into a ring with 2 .5ct diamonds on either side for our ten year anniversary ring. I fell in love with the spinel upon seeing it and bought it right away. I saw the sapphire after and like it for it`s sparkle and size, but it looks more blue than purpley blue in the hand shots. I am leaning towards the spinel, but input would really be appreciated! :twirl:

spinel.gif

sapphireround.jpg

sapphireround3.jpg

sapphire4.jpg

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Any way to get larger pics of the Sapphire? To me it looks like it has a window in the middle, but I can't say for sure with those small pics.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are two more pics of the sapphire but unfortunately that is all I have.

sapphireround2.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If there is indeed a window in the sapphire (I cannot tell, only see a slightly dark area that isn't bright and reflective like the rest of the stone), it is very small and will close up in a setting.

My answer will not be what you'd like to read. Both look pretty enough in the pictures but they are taken under different lighting conditions. To make a fair and accurate assessment, they must be compared side by side under the same conditions, meaning it is best that you wait to receive both stones before deciding. Secondly, some sapphires colour shift a lot, and some barely. The same goes for spinels. Sometimes the shift is beautiful and sometimes the shift is less than attractive. We won't know until you get the opportunity to play around with both.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you choose one, or are you still deciding?

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Minousbijoux I won't be getting either. I don't like either withmy skin tone. I want something darker and more intense. It is amazing to see the Luc Yen in person though!

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
ilovegemstones|1353532087|3312374 said:
It is amazing to see the Luc Yen in person though!

You didn't happen to photograph the Luc Yen, did you? I sometimes photograph stones that I end up returning just to have a basis for future comparison. :))

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, that Luc Yen looks amazing!

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will get a pic of it up here tomorrow.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tomorrow can't get here fast enough. :appl:

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I know tomorrow is here but now I need the smartphone to take the Luc Yen's pic and it isn't here! I have to wait till 5 pm. I really love the stone but can't afford to keep it if we are getting the sapphire. Chrono, I think I am going to go back after all and get the one we discussed earlier that I said was way out of my budget. You know, the 2.82 $2800 blue oval from Tan? Here is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330823475698
So you don't think it is overpriced? I actually just bought it for a bit less! It worked out to the same with the GIA cert. Thanks for all the input Chrono, LD and everyone else. I think it is the stone we have been looking for, especially after all of your input. The Luc Yen, however, is truly beautiful. It flashes so much blue outside! But you were right about the shifting, Chrono. Inside it is quite lavender have brown skin so I really think an intense blue sapphire between two 0.5 ct diamonds would look stunning a 10 year anniversary ring as opposed to a lighter coloured stone. I am thinking DanielM or Sally for the setting, but I haven't seen many 3 stone rings of Sally's. I need something really simple and not blingy. Suggestions? I would love to see pic of 3 stone settings you all like and vendour suggestions too. Luc Yen pics tonight!

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are a few pics I snapped with the smartphone. I just got it now as my husband worked late and I missed. In sunlight it is just like rhe vendor pics. It has blue and pink flashes in the lavender.

20121122_210811.jpg

20121122_210244.jpg

20121122_210654.jpg

20121122_210805.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Luc Yen. I think it looks great against your skintone, but that's my opinion!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the pics and I see what you mean about it being not suited to your skin tone. It needs a rose gold setting to stand out.

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
That spinel is absolutely gorgeous - being a guy, I'm not much for pear-shaped stones, but the colour is fantastic!

I can see what you mean regarding skin tone - perhaps that colour would flatter someone with a fairer skintone better? That said, if I fell in love with a colour, I'm not sure I would give much consideration to my skin tone. That deep reddish orange is lovely on you, though. ;-)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You made the right choice - the sapphire will pop against your skin. Can't wait for pics!

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
I like the sapphire much better too. Very pretty!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results