shape
carat
color
clarity

This site versus the Shane Company (Went there first, I like this place!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
OK...I''m new to all this. First time diamond buyer...Feel free to read my signature for my specifics...

My situation is this (A bit long)...

I started at the Shane Company site...For obvious reasons: I''m new and thought I was willing to pay extra in order to be safe. But then I was informed they Shane comapany wouldn''t forward the diamond I was interested in to a branch in Indy. I wanted to see it before buying it for obvious reasons...Just to be sure!

So...If I can''t see it before buying it, why not come here and get a better deal??? I assume that''s solid reasoning??

I was looking at this stone...

Oval Diamond
Carat Weight 1.31
Color: G Clarity: SI2

$6,530.00

...And was pretty happy with the deal.

I guess what I''m asking is...How much of a better deal can I expect here?

I''ve found this: http://search.virtcert.com/cgi/u/1012/v.cgi?stock=2381270&_s=1012&_p=sdf348gd743&_c=&_fs=1&prestock=&_ln=ps

OVAL
Carat 1.74
Color G
Clarity SI2

Price $ 6353.61

Which obviously looks like a MUCH better deal. Is this too good to be true?

I guess the one thing I''m giving-up here is the Shane Company''s 12 months same as cash...But even then...It''s a GREAT deal!! Right???

Thanks for any help!!

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Hello, and welcome to Pricescope!
1.gif

I wish I could help you, but I know next to nothing about ovals. You might want to look at the stones listed on http://www.goodoldgold.com/oval.htm -they provide all sorts of info on the cut and performance of a stone, and are a dream to work with. I'd personally prefer dealing with a vendor that has the stone on hand, rather than just drop shipping.

Also, you might want to check out the cut grades at www.gemappraisers.com.

Hopefully, other oval experts out there will chime in. There are more of us here that know rounds, so be patient, it may take a little while to get a reply.

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
I know nothing personally about Shane, but if you seach the word "Shane" on Pricescope, you will find some unfavorable reviews.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Welcome... you've come to the right place!

I LOVE ovals and they would look awesome with trilliant (triangle) shaped sapphires! Definitely for the platinum. However, could I make a suggestion?

Why don't you go for a little better clarity, say SI1 or VS2, and even say close to a 2 carat stone (which in an oval will be HUGE!) and forgoe the necklace and earrings at this point. Honestly, if my b-day were on Christmas (eve), and my honey pulled out a HUGE oval diamond engagement ring in a three-stone setting with side sapphires in a platinum setting, I WOULD NOT be expecting/looking under the tree for a b-day and Christmas gift that year!!! You will have PLENTY of opps in the years to come to get her the earrings and necklace. But you only have this ONE opportunity to make the "impression" of the e-ring. Sure, there can be "upgrades" in the future, but it isn't the same as the original proposal -- you can never get that moment back. (I know because I've had the upgrades over the years and while I love them, it is a different "experience".

This is just my two cents -- whatever you do you are a hero
saint.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 1.74 is certified by EGL... how about the 1.3 piece ? Prices depend on the type of cert. That medium blue fluorescence may have also lowered the price a hair.

And even assuming all concerns about cut away (not that it is the greatest idea, IMO) what makes these two SI2 ? It is pretty standard to be able to at least see a copy of the certificate if not the gems. Those clarity plots are not the greatest way to look at diamonds, but it's better than nothig
sad.gif
I didn't check to see if all SI diamonds listed by the same seller come with the note "110 Eyeclean" - whatever that means.

About cut: at least the EGL cert should have crown height and girdle thickness listed aside the 61%depth and 64% table available online. Worth asking. Pictures are good to have too of course.

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
I totally second headlights post. I think she will be so over the moon with the ring, that other jewelry would fade. Much better to have her get them for future presents and have her associate each piece with a special moment/memory.

If you want to get her b-day and x-mas presents, perhaps you could go for something like a manicure- so she can show off her pretty new ring on her pretty hands, and a nice jewelry box, to have some place to put her ring if she takes it off at night.

In fact, you could have her open one or the other first- say manicure, then give her the ring, saying she might need it to show off her beautiful hands. O give her the jewelry box, then tell her she needs something to put in it.

In any case, it is so sweet of you to do all of this for her. There are Shane Co's near me, and i have to say, I think you can honestly get a better deal with one of the trusted vendors here. My boyfriend, who is not even a jewelry person, very much dislikes the Shane Co just from what he has gotten as feedback from his guy friends. Whether it was customer service, or the fact that the jewelry lost alot of its 'luster' when away from the store lights.- he just hasn't had any good feedback from friends who have experienced buying there.

Edited to add: Love the cartman avatar! Just watched that episode the other night, laughed my head off!

Try doing a search on this site for oval stones, see what pops up.

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
I had not shopped at Shane but just did a quick check.

They are selling a J SI1 RB for 22% more than I paid for a J SI1 AGS0 H&A that my appraiser would have called an I color and thought had a fab cut.

They provide no real info on the diamond: no cert, measurements or pictures. My PS vendor shared the AGS cert, magnified pics, H&A pics & idealscope pic so I could really understand what I was buying.

Shane does offer a 30 day return window while most PS vendors allow a two week return window. Shane has some sort of insurance, if you allow 1/2 year inspections. Are these benefits worth a 22% premium?

Two weeks is enough to get it appraised and I recommend you put the ring under your home owners insurance as it's a better deal.

Date: 10/27/2004 10:14:38 PM
Author: headlight

Welcome... you've come to the right place!

I LOVE ovals and they would look awesome with trilliant (triangle) shaped sapphires! Definitely for the platinum. However, could I make a suggestion?

Why don't you go for a little better clarity, say SI1 or VS2, and even say close to a 2 carat stone (which in an oval will be HUGE!) and forgoe the necklace and earrings at this point. Honestly, if my b-day were on Christmas (eve), and my honey pulled out a HUGE oval diamond engagement ring in a three-stone setting with side sapphires in a platinum setting, I WOULD NOT be expecting/looking under the tree for a b-day and Christmas gift that year!!! You will have PLENTY of opps in the years to come to get her the earrings and necklace. But you only have this ONE opportunity to make the 'impression' of the e-ring. Sure, there can be 'upgrades' in the future, but it isn't the same as the original proposal -- you can never get that moment back. (I know because I've had the upgrades over the years and while I love them, it is a different 'experience'.

This is just my two cents -- whatever you do you are a hero
saint.gif
Thanks for the comments everyone.

Headlight...

I guess the reasons for my buying the necklace and earrings are a bit too complicated to list here. And, together they're only 500 bucks. And to tell you the truth, that 500 bucks is not limiting the purcase of my stone. Basically I'm going 500 over my budget in buying them.

And just so you know...No upgrades for us. Knowing her, she would have nothing of it. And to be honest, I'm keeping a journal of all this (Including links to this forum) so she can go back afterwards and **Kind of** experience all I'm going through. She'll like that, and I suspect, will keep her from ever wanting to change that stone or ring.

But...This I do know...

Now I'm considering stepping up in clarity quality. Plus, even though it looks like I can afford it, I might not go with as big of a stone as I assume now (1.8-2.0) because it just MIGHT be too big! Don't want anyting too guady. She's a tiny girl with tiny hands and the last thing I want is for her to think her stone is TOO big!!

Keep an eye out for THAT post!! LOL!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results