shape
carat
color
clarity

This Sapphire Worth the Price?

liliangrae

Rough_Rock
Hello all,
I fell in love with this golden sapphire (love the color and the hexagon shape). Do you think it is worth the price? About $800 for a little over 1 carat. I thought the price a bit steep for a heated stone but the cut is just amazing. Any thoughts?

Thank you pricescopers.

Golden%20Sapphire.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its worth will vary to each person's opinion. To those who love the work of this particular lapidary, it might be worth it. To a person who loves the shape and concave faceting, it might be worth it. To a person who looks at it solely for colour, it might appear too expensive.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Is that a Richard Homer stone? Can you find a 1ct heated orange-yellow sapphires for a lot less elsewhere? Yes, you can. Only you can decide if the premium he charges for his cutting is worth it to you.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
yellows and golds are ripe for Be treatment and I think Swishman said most yellow/golds with signs of heating or labeled as heated are generally going to be Be treated as well.

I sure do like that color a bunch!!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
amethystguy|1305737596|2924871 said:
yellows and golds are ripe for Be treatment and I think Swishman said most yellow/golds with signs of heating or labeled as heated are generally going to be Be treated as well.

I just wish he would stop photographing everything against a dark background. It tends to make stones look more saturated then they really are. I prefer a grey or white background.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
TL|1305738888|2924886 said:
I just wish he would stop photographing everything against a dark background. It tends to make stones look more saturated then they really are. I prefer a grey or white background.

Ditto, for all vendors who do it.

Consequently, hard to say re color on this sapphire. On my monitor it has a fair amount of brown that would put me off, but what people like is very different (thank goodness, or we'd all be clubbing each other for the same gems!).

--- Laurie

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
amethystguy|1305737596|2924871 said:

I've got to say that my immediate thought when I looked at the colour was "oh oh, BE treated". The reason for this is the strength of colour (saturation). Even rough can be BE treated and I believe (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) that it's almost impossible to detect in rough as it is in cut stones. Since there are only a few labs that have the equipment to test, if I were to buy this stone (considering its price) I would DEFINITELY put the sale as contingent on having a lab report confirming heat and no other treatment.

liliangrae

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all the input. I definitely recognize that the value of a gem will change from person to person depending on what specific qualities they value. The vendor specifically list Be treatments when used for stones. This stone only list heat as a treatment, so I assume no Be treatment, although it may be a good idea to get a lab report to confirm this.
Do you think it would fair to ask for a photo in hand? I always appreciate the different in the look of a gem when placed against human skin. Seems to be more telling than a stand alone shot against a black background? Thank you all for your thoughts and considerations.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, you're not really going to know what the true color is if it's on a dark background.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sure, you absolutely should ask for more pictures. Most of the precision cutters are willing to provide more information, because no one knows better than them how hard it is to accurately capture the stone. Occasionally you find cutters that don't want to take additional photos. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results