shape
carat
color
clarity

This Ruby Yes or No?

Sorjtosie

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone! I am new to this forum but I have seen a lot of insights and good opinions from many other threads so I figured to post a ruby I am considering to buy and get some of your opinions.

2B529429-680B-462B-8407-6D9A424A66DA.jpeg 67D8F3DD-FB0C-4A46-B3F6-AA40BE4B4593.jpeg BC12BB2F-39F6-4AFC-BA05-35380E9D666E.jpeg

This ruby is
1) GRS Certifed
2) Natural Ruby
3) 1.01 carat
4) Vivid Red* with special comment “this vivid red Mozambique ruby is reminiscent in color saturation of ‘GRS-type Pigeon blood ruby’ (without strong fluorescence).
5) No indication of thermal treatment

I am quoted at the price of USD 3,300 per carat.

Is this a good price?

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am no ruby expert. I just wanted to say that the stone in the second photograph doesn’t look at all like the stones in the first and third photographs.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s the same ruby in all photos, you can see the inclusions.
GRS is a reputable lab and provided the vendor is also reputable (it has been known for gems not to “match” the certification) it seems a fair price. Incidentally strong fluorescence is a much desired attribute in rubies, it gives them their glow. This is why Burma rubies are so revered, they have strong fluorescence.

Sorjtosie

Rough_Rock
Premium
It’s the same ruby in all photos, you can see the inclusions.
GRS is a reputable lab and provided the vendor is also reputable (it has been known for gems not to “match” the certification) it seems a fair price. Incidentally strong fluorescence is a much desired attribute in rubies, it gives them their glow. This is why Burma rubies are so revered, they have strong fluorescence.

All 3 photos above are the same ruby, I took them at different angles. May I know how do you see the inclusions? Is it the dark areas?

Also, how do I ensure that the rubies match the certification, do I buy from the vendor with good return policy then sent for certification again ?

In addition, I was also shown these 2 other rubies:
5B3C244A-F6A9-48D7-B0F9-2ECA71C839F7.jpeg

Out of these 3 rubies(including the ruby in the first post), which would be is a better choice to purchase?

Thank you all for your reply!

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
All 3 photos above are the same ruby, I took them at different angles. May I know how do you see the inclusions? Is it the dark areas?

Also, how do I ensure that the rubies match the certification, do I buy from the vendor with good return policy then sent for certification again ?

In addition, I was also shown these 2 other rubies:
5B3C244A-F6A9-48D7-B0F9-2ECA71C839F7.jpeg

Out of these 3 rubies(including the ruby in the first post), which would be is a better choice to purchase?

Thank you all for your reply!
I like the ruby in the gem box on the left the best. Which one speaks to you?

Sorjtosie

Rough_Rock
Premium
I like the ruby in the gem box on the left the best. Which one speaks to you?

I myself is torn between these 3 rubies.

The first ruby has a nice red color but my concern is the black area seen at some angles. The one on the left sparkles the most and sometimes look translucent (is that a good thing?); it is certified vivid red. The one on the right is certified Vivid red (GRS type Pigeon blood) and thus cost slightly more than the other 2. Both ruby on the left and right has a red color that has a shade of pink to it (is that due to fluorescence?)

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I myself is torn between these 3 rubies.

The first ruby has a nice red color but my concern is the black area seen at some angles. The one on the left sparkles the most and sometimes look translucent (is that a good thing?); it is certified vivid red. The one on the right is certified Vivid red (GRS type Pigeon blood) and thus cost slightly more than the other 2. Both ruby on the left and right has a red color that has a shade of pink to it (is that due to fluorescence?)
I don’t know if it’s due to fluorescence. I do know that my higher quality rubies have more fluorescence under black light though. I like vivid red best.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The black area's you see are Extinction or shadows and are the result of how the gem was cut. It's pretty common in oval gems..............but you can find some without it. And yes, it's something that if it bothers you.....then look for a gem that doesn't exhibit this. I cannot NOT see this shadow so stay away from stones that exhibit it. Others can ignore it and are happy with ovals............it's your choice.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the one in the box on the left.
The one on the right is seemingly a “non standard” shape oval - fine if you’re getting a custom made ring but tricky for a “stock” setting.
The flaws (or dust flecks - hard to be sure) are in all the photos.
Btw you expect a ruby to have some flaws, it’s actual more of a worry when they don’t - usually a sign of being synthethic.
As for vendors honesty, if a bricks and mortar store you are usually ok, they have a business and reputation which you assume they value and want to keep.
And personally, I like the rubies that are “pinker” they just seem more lively and bright to me. The deep red can look almost black in low lighting.

Sorjtosie

Rough_Rock
Premium
The black area's you see are Extinction or shadows and are the result of how the gem was cut. It's pretty common in oval gems..............but you can find some without it. And yes, it's something that if it bothers you.....then look for a gem that doesn't exhibit this. I cannot NOT see this shadow so stay away from stones that exhibit it. Others can ignore it and are happy with ovals............it's your choice.

What is the best shape/cut to reduce extinctions?

Sorjtosie

Rough_Rock
Premium
I am also concerned with the deep red color as it might appear even darker when it is placed on a setting.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My two cents on rubies... buy the color you like and not “pigeon-blood” red because it is supposed to be the reference, put it in a semi-mount to make sure it doesn’t get too dark for you. Pigeon-blood red is a dark red with a drop of blue. Make sure you really like that color. It is dark.

I purchased a 2.01ct certified Burmese pigeon-blood red ruby as I thought it was the reference. I had it put into a platinum custom setting and I hated it. The pigeon-blood red is far too dark for my taste and once mounted, the stone looked even darker than when it was loose. I spent a lot of money on it and I sold it because I hated looking at it. Big mistake and my big lesson learned it... unless you are an investor “pigeon-blood” red is meaningless. Buy the color you love.

I realize now I prefer cherry-red, stop-light rubies. I do not like pigeonn-blood red at all.

I hope his helps. Good luck to you.

Sorjtosie

Rough_Rock
Premium
For rubies that are GRS certified vivid red only, there are no comments in the certification if the ruby has strong fluorescence or not. Fluorescence are analysed in the cert when the ruby color is Pigeon blood or reminiscent in the color of Pigeon blood. In that case, how do I tell its fluorescence ?

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Another thought... be weary of stones with a weight ending in 0.01. Like my Burmese ruby that was 2.01. It was surely cut for weight.

Sorjtosie

Rough_Rock
Premium
Another thought... be weary of stones with a weight ending in 0.01. Like my Burmese ruby that was 2.01. It was surely cut for weight.

Interesting, .01 wasn’t smth that I pay attention to. By ‘surely cut for weight’, do you mean it was deliberately cut .01 heavier so as to price higher since the price is calculated $/carat?

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Fluorescence (LW) in some gems is absolutely overrated and unfortunately misleading if we talk about quality.

A treated Mong Hsu ruby, a heated Mogok ruby, an afghan or mozambique ruby, a vivid fuchsia sapphire, a medium pink sapphire- they all show a strong red fluorescence.

Same in pink to red spinel.

It WAS ( and is if you find one) typical for Thai ruby with higher iron content and a brownish red color.

------

It is for example a good help to seperate light green Grandite from Mali and Merelani Mint with a slightly yellow mintgreen ( if you still want to call them Merelani M. ) course Merelani M. fluorescence orange, Mali is inert.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
When you pass the “carat” mark, you can command a higher price because say, a 2.01ct stone is more “rare” than a 1.99ct. It’s like a diamond. Many colored stones preserve weight at the cost of cut.

Buying a gemstone is an emotional purchase. I wanted a “two-carat Burmese pigeon-blood” Ruby and I got caught into the emotional hype.

Similar to when ladies want a “1ct” diamond engagement ring.

For me, I now pick a size I want based on mms (say 8mmx6mm) and then next the color. The weight is really third to me as colored stones are all cut slightly different, some very deep.

You are worried about the first ruby being too dark. I think it will be very dark once mounted. As for the other two, they are a little too pink for me. I do not like pink in rubies at all. But if you like pink, of the 3, I would get the one on the left.

I’m not a pro, only a lover of precious colored stones who has learned the hard way with several mistakes.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
812B43A1-7C5F-4789-8764-879578F18EC2.jpeg With mine, in low light, you can see just how dark the one on the bottom left looks. Its a deep red, with purple tone. The bottom middle and right ones are more a pure red and the top line of three, toned to the pink.
Colour is very subjective, don’t try buying a “named colour” buy the colour and tone that appeals most to you.
There’s a colour and tone for everyone!

Sorjtosie

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thank you for all your comments. It has been very helpful for me.

May I also ask for the specs indicated above, is the price given reasonable?

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Generally extinction or shadows are seen in gem's with one dimension longer than the other......so round gems rarely exhibit extinction. Simply put: the dark shadow on an end is extinction...the extinction will move between ends depending on the gem's movement..........but will usually show itself easily and only disappear in exactly the right lighting.......which is how some vendors photograph their gems. Look at the ruby and see if the darker area moves from one end to the other when the gem is moved back and forth.........a simple test. Some folks are totally okay with this and ovals are prevalent shapes but now you have a bit more info about this condition.

Bron........nice pic of your rubies and great explanation!!

Sorjtosie

Rough_Rock
Premium
812B43A1-7C5F-4789-8764-879578F18EC2.jpeg With mine, in low light, you can see just how dark the one on the bottom left looks. Its a deep red, with purple tone. The bottom middle and right ones are more a pure red and the top line of three, toned to the pink.
Colour is very subjective, don’t try buying a “named colour” buy the colour and tone that appeals most to you.
There’s a colour and tone for everyone!

Wow! Thanks for sharing. Personally I like the bottom middle/right ones, however I haven’t been able to find a pure red ruby from the vendors I have been to thus far.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pigeon's blood is a marketing term, and one that not even people in the trade all agree on sometimes I see it used for so called "ideal" dark blood red rubies like the one you have in the initial photo and other times I see it used for more vivid blood red rubies. I personally would ignore the terminology and go for the most vivid and brightest coloured one. I own a few rubies and the one that is dark like the one you have pictured first was way too dark (it wasn't selected by me, my MIL and husband picked it) after it was set, so I never wear it.

Sorjtosie

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone again.
Just to seek your opinion again for the rubies below:

173DCA77-B29C-4A45-846E-41AE88C4C34C.jpeg

Ruby Color (top) VS Ruby Brilliance (bottom). What you think?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have more pics? The top one looks very dark. The one below also looks dark in this lighting.

Sorjtosie

Rough_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately I don’t have anymore photos. The rubies are not as dark as depicted in the photo :/

Perhaps rather than giving opinion on the photo above, are you able to give advise on choosing between ruby color VS ruby brilliance?

Sorjtosie

Rough_Rock
Premium
T
Hi everyone again.
Just to seek your opinion again for the rubies below:

173DCA77-B29C-4A45-846E-41AE88C4C34C.jpeg

Ruby Color (top) VS Ruby Brilliance (bottom). What you think?

Both rubies are GRS certified. The ruby on the top is Vivid Red* and the ruby at the bottom is Vivid orangy red.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
T

Both rubies are GRS certified. The ruby on the top is Vivid Red* and the ruby at the bottom is Vivid orangy red.

Well the pictures must be incredibly inaccurate because I see absolutely nothing "vivid" about those stones in terms of color. In fact, they both look like dark pyrope garnets to me.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well the pictures must be incredibly inaccurate because I see absolutely nothing "vivid" about those stones in terms of color. In fact, they both look like dark pyrope garnets to me.
Interestingly enough, in my recent ruby hunting I also viewed a stone that had a GRS lab report indicating “vivid red” and while it looked beautiful it lots of light, on the hand it seemed rather dark to me.

I guess lab noted colors should be taken with a grain of salt?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interestingly enough, in my recent ruby hunting I also viewed a stone that had a GRS lab report indicating “vivid red” and while it looked beautiful it lots of light, on the hand it seemed rather dark to me.

I guess lab noted colors should be taken with a grain of salt?
The only lab that uses purely objective and logical methods to determine color, tone and saturation is AGL. I believe GRS and other labs are more geared at helping vendors sell stones with their metaphors, and oversimplified and generous color grading.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I know it can be very hard to capture the color of stones in pictures. Like Miki Moto and Arkeib1, I also prefer less dark red stones.

I would take your time to see more rubies. Once you have seen many, you will see one that takes your breadth away. That's the one to get.

If you live near DC, you can see some really top color rubies at the Museum of National History.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results