shape
carat
color
clarity

This page just cracks me up :D

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Oh my lord!!! No wonder the incidence of depression in women was so high back then!! :errrr: :errrr: :errrr:

I want to reach back in time and slap the MEN who came up with those ad campaigns!!! :nono:

It's laughable now, though. :cheeky:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
A Lysol douche??? good heavens

Reminds me of the Good Wife's Guide.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Wow, the blatant sexism... I kind of kept thinking... are these real? :errrr:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Isn't that AMAZING? Can you see why women's lib just exploded? Sheesh!!!!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Women are soft and gentle, but they hit things. If your wife hits something in a Volkswagen, it doesn't hurt you very much
:lol:

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don't worry darling, you didn't burn the beer. ;-)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow.

Back when all this stuff was published, was anyone outraged?
Have we really changed that much?
Back then did women just lay back and take all this?

I think in 50 years today's men-bashing ads will provoke the same outrage that yesteryear's women-bashing ads get today.
Who will they bash then?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, Kenny, they did take it lying down -- I'm old enough to have been a little kid when some of these ads were around, thank God, toward the end of all that attitude. Look at tv from that era -- Leave It To Beaver or Father Knows Best -- the little lady cleaned house in a "house dress," they actually sold them in that name -- heaven forbid a female wore pants for chores! Women were ornamental but not too bright -- they ALWAYS told the girl to stay in the car & she never did, so the man had to stop fighting the bad guys & rescue her. I doubt any real wives got the kids all cleaned up, put on pearls & high heels to welcome Daddy home every night -- but they felt like pikers because they didn't.

Grown-up stuff, too, was appalling. Joe Doaks took out a credit card & got an extra for Mrs. Joe Doaks to use. Women couldn't get credit in their own names; the card said "Mrs. Joe Doaks," not "Sarah Doaks." My father died when I was a kid -- when Mom put gas in the car a few weeks later, her credit card was refused! The company cancelled it because the cardholder was dead. His wife? Well, women didn't know how to handle M O N E Y! I remember Mom coming home exploding with rage. They turned down her immediate application for her own card; she had no credit history in her name. That's the sort of thing that started bra burning & past time, too. Women in Switzerland didn't even get the VOTE until 1971. Before that, Swiss women could not own bank accounts nor, I believe,property in their own right if they were married; husband's name went on it too.

However, I do agree that man-bashing in ads & tv shows is getting pretty overdone. They're all dumb bumblers whose women make mean wisecracks at them. The pendulum will swing back eventually; there'll be a sort of backlash.

--- Laurie

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is so much focus on the negative today, but I think it is wonderful how in some ways the world IS getting better. :appl:

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
WOW.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
packrat|1291477478|2787222 said:
A Lysol douche??? good heavens

Reminds me of the Good Wife's Guide.

Shoot - I just had my exam. If I had read this before, I would have put down that I use Lysol and made sure to emphasize I use lemon scented ;-)

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I recently helped clean out my grandmother's apartment after she moved into an assisted living facility, and found a bottle of lysol concentrate that was clearly very old. It was a brown glass bottle with a metal lid, and very simple red and yellow paper label. In the instructions, they mentioned how to douche with it. Very scary!! :errrr:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results