shape
carat
color
clarity

This might be the one.... Opinions on this diamond please!?

maddyb

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

This is my first post however I have been reading the forums for a few months now. Future hubby and myself have been looking for the right diamond for a few months. I'm dead set on staying at 2 cts and the price range is about CAD $18-$20K max.

Right now we may have found THE diamond, graded by EGLUSA - US902892601D. It is a 2.06 ct, G colour, SI1, and hearts and arrows cut. All the other specs line up with the standards I've found online. The price for the diamond is $17,700, right in budget. The diamond plot on the certificate shows feathers all over the diamond (looks like speckles) however the diamond is eye clean. We went in store and looked at it with 10x magnification and I still wasn't able to see any inclusion other than one small one near the side which could be covered by one of the prongs in my setting. It looked near perfect to me, but I don't exactly know what to look for.

I have been doing A LOT of reading on the subject, and paid particular attention to the fact that this diamond was EGL. The jeweler agreed my caution was warranted, but said EGL USA was the best of the EGLs and in his opinion said GIA would most likely grade this one a G colour SI2. Another worry is how the diamond looks on the certificate with all the feathers. I am worried that this is affecting the brilliance or durability and I am none the wiser? He had others that were GIA, looked just as good, and were about $4000 more.

I have a found a few other diamonds I am interested in in that price range which look good (an E SI2 and an I SI1 (GIA)) but they're online from blue nile and a US based jeweler so I wouldn't be able to see it before it is shipped.

Really appreciate if you could help me in chiming in on this.... All I know is what I've read online and I am by no means an expert. I think this one could be the one, but I hope I''m not missing out on something important here... the certificate was from 2011 and I don't understand why this woudn't have been sold before (jeweler says it wasn't set and on display and they have had it in stock since 2011)

I've attached some pictures (if they help)

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to some opinions :)

_36870.jpg

_36871.jpg

Q

Queenie60

Re: This might be the one.... Opinions on this diamond pleas

I am certainly not an expert however I caution you on purchasing an EGL certified stone. Their grading is inaccurate.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium

You have done your research. You know what EGL USA is like, and how PSers would respond regarding this lab.

Cutters are smart, so are the diamond dealers. After all, these people are dealing with some seriously expensive stuff. If it is truly a well-cut G SI1/2, why wouldn't the cutter send the stone to GIA? Why wouldn't the dealer send it to GIA for re-certification for potential $4000 more profit? It simply does not make any sense. In my case, I simply cannot picture myself handing over 17k to anyone when such uncertainty still remain unanswered.

I did a quick search.
I easily found a 2.0 G SI1 EGS IDEAL PLUS at 1.7k CAD.
You are paying a fair price at best, and there must be a reason why it is valued at 1.7k.

Lastly, I don't like the diamond in the picture. That's a really unusual contrast pattern (ring of darkness), especially from that distance. I have never seen a super ideal (or near super idea) H&A with such contrast pattern.

maddyb

Rough_Rock

Flyingpig - thank you for the detailed response. Would you have any other alternative suggestions for something in my price range? After checking out diamonds in person I wouldn't want to go below a G/H. Do you think I could find something in my price range that would have a GIA certificate?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3645770.htm?source=pricescope

Try looking at this stone. It is from Whiteflash and their Expert Selection category. It is GIA graded and has faint fluorescence. This is not one of their top of the line stones but I could just about guarantee it is far better than the EGL one you are considering. If it interests you, put it on hold and give them a call. They would be happy to discuss the particulars of the stone with you and they are a very reputable company. You can see from the images that it looks worlds different than the stone shown on the EGL cert.

maddyb

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the suggestion. I believe this is in USD which makes it more like $26,000 CAD.... Exchange rate is killer lately.

Any other suggestions in a bit lower price range? What would you guys think about going to an SI2 and trying to find one that has nothing too visible to the eye?

I found a 2.01 ct H colour SI2 and the jewellery store has advised it appears eye clean. I can get it set in a platinum custom setting for around $23,000 all in (tax, shipping, etc) this is still a bit above my budget.

Thanks guys!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

maddyb|1459212017|4012310 said:
Thanks for the suggestion. I believe this is in USD which makes it more like $26,000 CAD.... Exchange rate is killer lately.

Any other suggestions in a bit lower price range? What would you guys think about going to an SI2 and trying to find one that has nothing too visible to the eye?

I found a 2.01 ct H colour SI2 and the jewellery store has advised it appears eye clean. I can get it set in a platinum custom setting for around $23,000 all in (tax, shipping, etc) this is still a bit above my budget.

Thanks guys!

There are eye clean SI2 stones to be had but not always readily available. Finding an eye clean stone is but a bit of the battle; the cut quality should be your top concern. A 2.01 H, SI2 could be beautiful or a real dog. You need much more information than that to decide.

You are talking about spending 20K+! Make sure you get the most bang for the buck - even if you drop somewhat below that 2 carat mark. A larger, dull stone won't get you where you want to be.

maddyb

Rough_Rock

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It scores a 3.8 on the HCA and you are looking for a score of under 2. The crown angle is too high for that pavilion angle to truly be complimentary.

Here are parameters to use when looking for a stone:

Table 54-58

Crown 34-35

Pavilion 40.6-40.9

Depth no more than 62.2

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Are you from GTA?

maddyb

Rough_Rock

Yes I am, any ideas?

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium

http://diamonddealfinder.com/enquiry.php?id_field=2813585
http://diamonddealfinder.com/enquiry.php?id_field=2794303

These two have similar proportions as your EGL diamond. We dont usually recommend something like this, but since you liked the EGL, I will just list these. Note strong fluo

http://diamonddealfinder.com/enquiry.php?id_field=2852847
Gia x, hca less than 2.0, potentially AGS ideal, potentially beautiful 60/60

US cerified is a PS vendor located in GTA. Call and make an appointment to see what he can offer . There have been many positive reviews from shoppers in GTA. His pricing is among the lowest, if not the lowest.

maddyb

Rough_Rock

Thank you, that last one looks really good on paper.... I've reached out to go see it in person (its like less than 10 mins from where I live :) Do you have any indication from the details if it is eye clean or would I have to see in person?

IS this USD or CAD? because the price its right if its USD, but if its CAD I can potentially stretch a bit higher to around $16.5K.

Thanks a ton for your help!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium

All pricing is in USD so 15k should be around 20k CAD. Or wait for crude oil to bounce back. Loonie will bounce back. You are correct as you stated. A Good looking GIA stones within your 20k cad budget is a hard find, but not possible I must say.

You have luxury of inspecting the stone in person. Take advantage of it. Ensure to make an appointment: he may have to bring stones in. Ask for the last stone (60/60) and couple recommendations within your budget. Tell PS directed you there, and looking for a stone with ideal light performance (you can ask for super ideal. But it may not be realistic) Ask if IS/ASET scope is available so that you can view thru it and take a photo for record.

You are dead set on 2.0c. But have you seen 1.8c with ideal proportion?
http://diamonddealfinder.com/enquiry.php?id_field=2855616
It costs nothing to see. It may change your mind while saving a couple thousands.

It is also possible that he can bring in stones offered by other vendors (virtual inventory).

Good luck

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium

maddyb

Rough_Rock

As per @flyingpig's recommendation I reached out to Martin Sheffield and he found me a very beautiful diamond. It's a bit out of price range but I can stretch of it is truly special'.

Could some one give me a quick summary of what hca <2 does to the appearance to make it so desirable? I had never heard of this before this forum.This is a 1.5.

Lastly is it better to stay at H SI1 or go to G SI2 for colour.

Thanks!

_2698.jpeg

_2699.jpeg

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium

1. HCA is a screening/elimination tool. You want a score of less than two.
2. Do HCA again and check the graph. See where "X" is situated. It is clearly within in the dotted outline, meaning GIA X proportions (as expected), and it is within the solid outline, meaning potential AGS ideal proportions.
3. Table 59, Crown 33.5, Pav 41 are all slightly outside the super ideal ranges, but not much. More importantly, these numbers complement each other (shallow crown/steep pav), as indicated by HCA score of 1.5.

This is exactly what I meant when I said "a stone with ideal light performance (you can ask for super ideal. But it may not be realistic)" considering your budget and desirable carat weight.
It is not a super ideal H&A, but is something very close. It is certainly way better cut than the stone you listed initially.
Don't you agree that this arrow contrast pattern is more desirable than the pattern in the EGL stone??

1. Now you need the IS or ASET image to assess the stone's light performance. This is THE SELECTION tool. I would not buy a stone without it, especially at this carat and price range. Ask Martin if he can provide one.
2. See the stone in person and ensure it is eye clean, and you like the appearance
3. Assess the stone for any milkyness/haziness from med fluo

If you can find a well cut G/SI2 that is EYE-CLEAN, definitely consider that option.

So far, this stone looks promising, and I think Martin is guiding you to the right direction.

maddyb

Rough_Rock

Great, glad to hear I'm finally on the right track... Happy that this one meets the HCA scale but still meets all of my original criteria as per the GIA cert. Will the diamond actually look like it has those darker colour arrows in person, or is that just because its on a darker backdrop? Agreed that this diamond looks much better than the original one I was looking at - I owe you guys big time for helping steer me in the right direction because I was literally about to buy that EGL.

Martin actually advised that going to a G / SI2 would be a big mistake becuase he said no SI2 is truly eye clean (Especially at that size) and that the med fluo makes it more like a G/H anyway. I love the look of a big white diamond which is what pushes me to look at a G, but I can't up the budget to a G/SI1 and hopefully the H looks white on its own anyway (I'm setting it solitaire)

I asked about the IS/ASET images and I'm waiting to hear back.

Thanks!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I do agree with what Martin said regarding SI2 (eye clean SI2 is a difficult find), and medium fluo (as long as no milkyness).
The arrow contrast pattern is visible under a certain light condition from a certain distance.

If the ASET/IS image turns out to be good, I expect it would perform something like GOG's Platinum Select, although each diamond is different..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_eHVYzd6RE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV3xnvYOFos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMoj9smvggo

maddyb

Rough_Rock

UPDATE: diamond purchased today!! It is being delivered to an appraiser in Buffalo and will bring it home over the border next weekend!

Thank you all for helping me find it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results