shape
carat
color
clarity

This makes me mad

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol: I suppose this twit advocates only for custom settings as well - no cheap Photocopy mounts, right?

lollllll. This vendor has another post where she states that "9ct gold isn't real gold" because in her (ridiculous) opinion it's not "pure" enough. She says that 9ct gold shouldn't even be called gold because of all the other IMPURE METALS that are in it. Insert enormous eye roll here.

Obviously 9ct, 18ct, and 24ct have different levels of gold vs other metals. But to claim that 9ct isn't "real" is just moronic.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would LOVE to see lab stones and pearls permitted in SMTB!!!

I can see an argument for keeping technical discussions in different fora - market concerns that are unique to mined and lab stones... But even there, honestly, there's so much overlap already... I can also see an argument for eliminating the separation...

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lollllll. This vendor has another post where she states that "9ct gold isn't real gold" because in her (ridiculous) opinion it's not "pure" enough. She says that 9ct gold shouldn't even be called gold because of all the other IMPURE METALS that are in it. Insert enormous eye roll here.

Obviously 9ct, 18ct, and 24ct have different levels of gold vs other metals. But to claim that 9ct isn't "real" is just moronic.

9kt gold isn't considered 'gold' in the US - so I'm guessing that's where her comments on that topic are coming from. 10kt gold is the lowest purity the US recognizes, as 9kt, at less than 40% gold, is not considered to contain sufficient gold to be given the blanket title 'gold'. I can see the sense in having a cut off point. Would 10% be considered gold? 5%? It's an interesting conundrum. And to be honest, I always thought 50% made the most sense to call a metal 'gold', whereas less than 50% could be labeled as 'contains gold'. But the arguments for both (or all!) sides are endless.

As for diamonds, since earth-made and man-made have some fundamental differences in process and price, I think it makes sense to be more descriptive about both diamonds. Obviously linking those differences to certain character strengths and flaws is just stupid and uninformed. I think the discussion is useful, but not when it's posed from that angle, which basically breaks down to "earth mined = good person / man-made =bad person." That kind of approach is of no use whatsoever in the larger discussion and illogical to boot.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Even if I was against or not into lab diamonds, I wouldn't buy from a vendor that feels the need to go on the attack like that... It's like they have lost a bunch of clients to the lab stone world and are bitter. They probably didn't lose their clients to lab stones so much as their unprofessionalism...

I look at my 1.6ct lab Asscher all the time and feel so happy that technology gave me the option to own something so amazing... My mined stones are gifts from the earth but I don't got a spare $5K to drop on a well sized mined Asscher!

_dracarys_

Shiny_Rock
While I love her account, Stephanie Gottlieb is another anti MMD jeweler, but not as anti as whoever this is. There's a market for everybody.

Even if I was against or not into lab diamonds, I wouldn't buy from a vendor that feels the need to go on the attack like that... It's like they have lost a bunch of clients to the lab stone world and are bitter. They probably didn't lose their clients to lab stones so much as their unprofessionalism...

Right?? I don't want to work with somebody who sounds unhinged. Like, would they start screaming at me in all caps if I mentioned the "L" word? :lol:

vetrik

Shiny_Rock
It does make me upset too when they put down lab diamonds by putting down the people who buy one. It doesn't seem very wise as a marketing technique. I also don't like the approach of valuing love by what kind of stone is in your ring, or how much you spent. My grandparents had plain gold wedding bands for the 61 years of their incredibly happy marriage. I've been with my husband for 21 years (married for 17) and we got engaged with a CZ, swapped it out for a mined diamond, upgraded to a lab diamond and obviously our love is completely separate from what I'm wearing on my finger. I know I'm preaching to the choir here anyway!

It's interesting the perceived value also. I always see a major con mentioned about the unknowns of long term pricing of lab diamonds, and if they will fall. We buy things that decrease in value all the time based on our personal budget and interests, a lot of them are ultimately luxury things - cars, tvs, electronics, supplies for hobbies, even jewelry and natural mined diamonds. These things have value to us for the use and enjoyment we get out of them. I've always heard that unless it's a rare, collectible type of stone, you should not expect to get anywhere near what you paid if you try to sell your diamond. Right now I'm wearing a 1.73 carat lab diamond I paid $1600 for, the equivalent in a mined diamond with a quick search right now ranged around $7500-10,000. If lab diamond prices do crater in the future, I'll be happy about the years I've already been wearing my ring and probably buy another one to take advantage of the lower prices!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
My oooonly hesitation with buying a lab diamond now is I'm not sure what prices will be like in a few years. I've always been late to the party. But a 2ct lab OEC for $5000 is awfully tempting!

I guess I don't really care what my lab grown OEC will cost in a few years. It will still look like a 40K mined diamond! I took my ring to a local jeweler to have sizing beads sautered inside my 20 Anniversary OEC (in avatar) and she was oohing and aahing over the ring and showing me all the OECs in her possession. Not once did she question whether it was mined or lab grown. In fact, she was trying to sell me mined OEC studs to go with my ring.

Last edited:
I guess I don't really care what my lab grown OEC will be in a few years. It will still look like a 40K mined diamond! I took my ring to a local jeweler to have sizing beads sautered inside my 20 Anniversary OEC (in avatar) and she was oohing and aahing over the ring and showing me all the OECs in her possession. Not once did she question whether it was mined or lab grown. In fact, she was trying to sell me mined OEC studs to go with my ring.

Oh I have no doubt a lab grown diamond would be just as gorgeous! I'd just be kicking myself if it ends up like, "Man, if only I waited a couple of years, I could have saved myself $2000!" (totally making up the numbers btw).

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I would LOVE to see lab stones and pearls permitted in SMTB!!!

I can see an argument for keeping technical discussions in different fora - market concerns that are unique to mined and lab stones... But even there, honestly, there's so much overlap already... I can also see an argument for eliminating the separation...

I have posted both lab diamonds and Pearls in SMTB. I believe there was a clarification from the admin that it is okay as long as we don't explicitly talk in detail or at length about them. They have appeared on many of my posts in the "Stack of the day" or "most worn jewelry looks"....I wear a combo of mined, lab grown, pearls every day....and in the process of having a mined/mmd 3-stone ring made too. You will see THAT coming soon on SMTB.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I'm just waiting for them to produce an OEC/ACC mmd in a lower color range and then I'm going to work on getting one.
I have mined MRB diamond earrings/ring and I don't even wear them with any regularity. They're too white for me/not my style.
Because I only have unmentionables in my spinel wedding stack(avatar)I have never been able to show them off anywhere other than their original thread or fashion jewelry.:(sad I thought it was frowned upon/not allowed.
Sometimes it makes me sad- I don't have a large jewelry collection and I can't really participate with what I have. I'm proud of the unconventionality of them.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I'm just waiting for them to produce an OEC/ACC mmd in a lower color range and then I'm going to work on getting one.
I have mined MRB diamond earrings/ring and I don't even wear them with any regularity. They're too white for me/not my style.
Because I only have unmentionables in my spinel wedding stack(avatar)I have never been able to show them off anywhere other than their original thread or fashion jewelry.:(sad I thought it was frowned upon/not allowed.
Sometimes it makes me sad- I don't have a large jewelry collection and I can't really participate with what I have. I'm proud of the unconventionality of them.

Bling is Bling. SMTB (show me the bling) is missing out on some beautiful BLINGY jewelry like your wedding set @ItsMainelyYou. It is gorgeous, and I'm glad that you can show it off in your avatar!

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The sad truth is that disparaging of lab anything happening both out there and inside this forum.

Try typing “lab” anywhere and you’ll hear crickets and get your butt teleport here so fast your head will be spinning. Not to mention posters just won’t comment on some poor souls trying to decide if this lab diamond or that lab diamond is better even though it’s the same mathematics whether lab or natural. :(sad

This. This is one big reason I spend a LOT less time on Pricescope in general. I got fed up with this kind of attitude.

FWIW, your set is one of my all-time favorites!

And since I didn’t get that 8mm ruby I posted about earlier, I’m thinking a smaller, oval cut ruby set EW like your spinel might be a better idea for me :Up_to_something:

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

This as well. This makes me so sad that you don't feel welcome to share your high-quality pieces anywhere but a very restricted area. Once a piece is made and you're just sharing it for looking at, it shouldn't matter what the source of the stone was because that's not detailed discussion where differences in characteristics matter.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
I get that they are worried and trying to “protect” their business, but that is rather obnoxious. I have both natural and man made. I had a really expensive setting that I loved and put a Diamond Foundry mrb in it. Hands down, it is the nicest, best cut, sparkliest mrb that I have ever owned.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

I feel so sad reading this
I want to oggle your pretties just as much as mined stones

Are the what are you wearing today thread ? not in cafe ? Where everything goes

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
I love lab stones, and that original post is just ridiculous! Talk about rude!
Lab stones let me enjoy the stones I want but could never afford in a quality I want, like ruby and sapphire. I have never understood someone putting out a lot of money for a badly cut included stone just so they could say "it's real'. Give me a clean sparkly lab stone any day!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Thank you guys for the support, to me and to everyone else. I actually got some pushback in real life when I chose to go with moissanite as if it somehow diminished my rings(but why, you don't have to?). I guess I just don't see the point of limitation. Get what you love whether it be moissanite, mined, mmd, CZ, CS, whatever floats your boat!
I didn't really show them off anywhere @Daisys and Diamonds. Just the one thread when I had them made. But you notice my avatar- so they've been seen all over anyhow :bigsmile:
@AnastasiaBeaverhausen I'm truly flattered! I love them and I love the moissy. Julia did an excellent job. I'm excited for the hunt for your oval!
@OboeGal I do feel welcomed by all the great people I talk to on PS. I love talking to all you guys and sharing your journeys. There are lots of good eggs and I'm happy to be in the scramble with you all.

I know the distinction is made because this is a consumer forum and they have interests to protect, but it quickly could become self defeating with all the rapid technological advancements and changing social acceptance/perception. Truth is, there's room for everybody! I'm always going to fawn over and swoon the sparkly baubles.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you guys for the support, to me and to everyone else. I actually got some pushback in real life when I chose to go with moissanite as if it somehow diminished my rings(but why, you don't have to?). I guess I just don't see the point of limitation. Get what you love whether it be moissanite, mined, mmd, CZ, CS, whatever floats your boat!
I didn't really show them off anywhere @Daisys and Diamonds. Just the one thread when I had them made. But you notice my avatar- so they've been seen all over anyhow :bigsmile:
@AnastasiaBeaverhausen I'm truly flattered! I love them and I love the moissy. Julia did an excellent job. I'm excited for the hunt for your oval!
@OboeGal I do feel welcomed by all the great people I talk to on PS. I love talking to all you guys and sharing your journeys. There are lots of good eggs and I'm happy to be in the scramble with you all.

I know the distinction is made because this is a consumer forum and they have interests to protect, but it quickly could become self defeating with all the rapid technological advancements and changing social acceptance/perception. Truth is, there's room for everybody! I'm always going to fawn over and swoon the sparkly baubles.

Im on my phone so i had to take a closer look :love: :appl: :love: :appl: :love: :appl: :love: :love: :appl: :love: Screenshot_20210227-162422.png

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
Im on my phone so i had to take a closer look :love: :appl: :love: :appl: :love: :appl: :love: :love: :appl: :love: Screenshot_20210227-162422.png

That pink ring!! I have been sighing over it since I joined. I just love it, and I love the prongs. Are they more expensive on a ring than rounded ones?

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
That pink ring!! I have been sighing over it since I joined. I just love it, and I love the prongs. Are they more expensive on a ring than rounded ones?

Thanks! Nope, it was part of the design. I think with most jewelers you can specify your prong choice. Before PS I had no idea there were so many different types.

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
BTW Daisy, if there was a prize here for nicest poster, you'd win!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results