shape
carat
color
clarity

This makes me mad

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why do people feel the need to write stuff like this? Blocked out all names to not encourage flaming anyone. But I just dont get why anyone feels the need to criticize lab diamonds / people who buy them? IMHO it's just incredibly rude and judgemental

20210221_180643.jpg

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Ugh, what an ignorant and rude post! Was this a business??? And the analogy doesn’t even make sense. Then to top it all off making a reference to character? Ridiculous.

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
I agree; it's rude ridiculous. And really over the top. I don't think God and/or Mother Earth care what kind of diamonds we buy. TBH, Mother Earth probably prefers the lab variety for us humans. If I were her, I would want to keep my diamonds.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree; it's rude ridiculous. And really over the top. I don't think God and/or Mother Earth care what kind of diamonds we buy. TBH, Mother Earth probably prefers the lab variety for us humans. If I were her, I would want to keep my diamonds.

Exactly. Both lab diamonds and natural are awesome. And what you buy has NOTHING to do with your relationship.

Not to mention all of the other great options like moissanite. As long as the couple gets what they want, who cares????

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A quick Internet search brought me many articles claiming that lab diamond sales are on the rise and expected to increase. Seems silly for the seller to feel threatened by this and react by disparaging lab diamonds. Perhaps, he/she should consider offering them for sale instead of turning off potential lab diamond buyers.

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
“What defines your love?” Just WOW

Yeah, you know, if you NEED a piece of carbon, a frickin’ pebble that could be found from the strip mall to high end Tiffany’s, that’s frankly only popular due to a success ad campaign by DeBeer’s maybe you need to re-evaluate your definition of love.
but hey, let me tell you about moissanite and lab diamonds so you can save some money for a prenup.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, you know, if you NEED a piece of carbon, a frickin’ pebble that could be found from the strip mall to high end Tiffany’s, that’s frankly only popular due to a success ad campaign by DeBeer’s maybe you need to re-evaluate your definition of love.
but hey, let me tell you about moissanite and lab diamonds so you can save some money for a prenup.

This x 100000000

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why do people feel the need to write stuff like this? Blocked out all names to not encourage flaming anyone. But I just dont get why anyone feels the need to criticize lab diamonds / people who buy them? IMHO it's just incredibly rude and judgemental

20210221_180643.jpg
Boo hiss that bussiness

That's really horrible, hurtful and disrespectful especially with a diamond often being a very emotive thing

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
A quick Internet search brought me many articles claiming that lab diamond sales are on the rise and expected to increase. Seems silly for the seller to feel threatened by this and react by disparaging lab diamonds. Perhaps, he/she should consider offering them for sale instead of turning off potential lab diamond buyers.

Adapt or become extinct
How many really big retailers have gone bust just this past year in every town represented on this forum !

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Well, that was stupid.
That's a message that's going to backfire on them, bigtime.

Buttercookies

Brilliant_Rock
The sad truth is that disparaging of lab anything happening both out there and inside this forum.

Try typing “lab” anywhere and you’ll hear crickets and get your butt teleport here so fast your head will be spinning. Not to mention posters just won’t comment on some poor souls trying to decide if this lab diamond or that lab diamond is better even though it’s the same mathematics whether lab or natural. :(sad

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
The sad truth is that disparaging of lab anything happening both out there and inside this forum.

Try typing “lab” anywhere and you’ll hear crickets and get your butt teleport here so fast your head will be spinning. Not to mention posters just won’t comment on some poor souls trying to decide if this lab diamond or that lab diamond is better even though it’s the same mathematics whether lab or natural. :(sad

I noticed this too. Is there any reason/what is the rationale on the need to differentiate between lab and natural thread? I am still very new in PS btw.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good grief. That is a gross sentiment.

About 1.5 years ago I was at a local jeweler. Asked if they would carry lab diamonds and they responded “We’ll never sell them. We don’t want people to be confused about what they are buying. If they shop here they know they will only be shown natural diamonds.” They started selling lab diamonds this year. Things change.

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
I noticed this too. Is there any reason/what is the rationale on the need to differentiate between lab and natural thread? I am still very new in PS btw.

I can't speak to why the threads are still separate, but prior to the 2018 FTC ruling, there may have been a need to distinguish one from the other. In 2018, the FTC ruled that a diamond is a diamond no matter whether it is grown in a lab or comes out of the ground.

“The Commission no longer defines a ‘diamond’ by using the term ‘natural’ because it is no longer accurate to define diamonds as ‘natural’ when it is now possible to create products that have essentially the same optical, physical, and chemical properties as mined diamonds,” the FTC ruled.

Edited to say that, personally, I don't mind the separate threads. I believe there used to be different types of inclusions/issues you needed to look out for with lab diamonds, depending on the type of technology used to grow the diamonds. This may be a moot point now that the technology has improved, but I don't know for sure. There are different threads for vintage, etc., so a separate thread for lab stones is fine with me. Personally, I agree with the FTC that "a diamond is a diamond," but that's just my personal opinion. Others may feel differently.

Last edited:

BrownGinger

Shiny_Rock
Annoying and yet not surprising. After getting my first lab diamond last year (in the form of studs), I am now all aboard the lab diamond train! In fact, I’m prepping to sell an earth mined diamond ring so I can replace it with a lab and I went to an appraiser to confirm a few things for the listing and he checked to make sure it was “a real diamond” and not lab. :roll:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol: I suppose this twit advocates only for custom settings as well - no cheap Photocopy mounts, right?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
The IG post was really just rude as well as inaccurate to the point of silly.

On the issue of lab diamond being combined with rocky talk, my guess is it has something to do with FTC rules, and inertia.

There is a separation between lab grown gems and non-lab grown gems as well. I personally don't take offense to it. I have purchased lab grown and if the price was right, I would again. However, I do think that lab grown is not going to hold value over the long haul- and I really don't want to argue with anyone over that because that is highly polarizing.

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oof, that is really cringey! Those tactics are painfully superficial and transparent. Seriously, let people enjoy what they enjoy, be it lab created, moissanite, colored gems, fancy shapes, steep deeps, super ideals, or just a beautiful wedding band. Live and let live. Sheesh!!

RockFox

Shiny_Rock

This 1000%. Just why?

Bets on this "vendor" eventually selling lab diamonds - pretty high. As PPs have pointed out, you have to give consumers what they want - and there are plenty of consumers who want lab diamonds for a variety of reasons. Gross sentiment though, and very close-minded.

I'm working on a few wonderful lab diamond projects right now, can't wait to share them. I also own minded diamonds. I think there's room for both - and neither should define "your love".

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results