shape
carat
color
clarity

This isn''t adding up...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cmcwill

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone!
I posted specs of a radiant here over the weekend but I was looking at it again and something''s not right.
This is not a GIA or AGS cert. rather it was done at the jeweler by some sort of lazer measurement and software program.

Total depth 3.54mm

Pavillion 2.26mm
Girdle .29mm
Crown .27mm

The bottom three don''t equal the total depth? Am I missing another part that wasn''t included? That girdle can''t get any bigger!! Is it more the chance that the crown would be bigger or the pavillion? Or is it impossible to tell?

Thanks,
Colleen

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crown depth smaller than girdle ? Is that a buff-top diamond ? I hope this is not right...
cry.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Coleen, my humble suggestion is that you stick to AGA or AGS on radiants. Why? Because I think there are certain important factors when searching for a radiant.

1) Is it suffienciently white to LOOK white? Fancy shapes show color MUCH more than RBs... GIA will be the most reliable when it comes ot color and clarity grading. Others are good, but nowhere near as reliable or consistent in color...grading anything is subjective...

2) Reliability of size, cut, etc...AGS has good cut measurements that they give on their reports that allow a persone to see angles, etc...it's very helpful and CUT is so crucial on a Radiant!!!

Good luck and keep posting!!/idealbb/images/smilies/wavey.gif

cmcwill

Shiny_Rock
Valeria, I hope that isn't right either! yuck! Something must be wrong for the measurements that make up to total depth to not equal the total depth...
Nicrez, is it possible to have a diamond certified by both GIA and AGS or AGA? Can I get the best of both worlds with color and clarity looked at by GIA and angles measured by AGA/AGS?

Thanks!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just my 0.3, for sure:

#1: crown and pavilion angles cannot be translated in "light return" for a radiant - there is no formula for this yet

#2: a Sarin report woud give all the measurements of the stone, on top of any other cert the stone has (reference for different certs' content here)

#3: not sure a diamond cut without a crown would be bad: just no one trued yet, as far as I know. So ? Whatever cut is not considered "good" by industry standars is either a new model altogether with your taste as only judge, or should be discounted for relatively poor quality. Cut and Cost go hand in hand among the Cs
2.gif

You may want to see the comments on rad cut standards on this thread too...
5.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
You can, but I think it's redundant. It also is a cost not needed, because if the stone comes with a cert already, they are more likely to get a GIA cert (perhaps they eat the cost), but not a AGS on top of a GIA...GIA seems to be more marketable because people really trust them. They are the ONLY non-profit agency that grades, but that is taken with a grain of salt of course.

If you have a GIA cert, get a Sarin report to determin angles, etc...but this is not as necessary as if you bought a round stone. The keys I have noticed are in the eyes and the depth and table. If they have good lower numbers, the effect should be a well sized crown angle, that is high enough to do the refracting trick. LOOK at the stones and see as MANY as you can that are cut "lower" because these compared to the deep cuts will seem so much nicer, trust me...But eventually, the stone will speak to you. It will just pop out at your eyes with brilliance and fire, and just scream, "take me HOME!" and when you do, we will NEED pictures!

I am hoping to bring radiants back to style, one PS consumer at a time...
9.gif

katbadness

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 3/1/2004 1:25:24 PM Nicrez wrote:

I am hoping to bring radiants back to style, one PS consumer at a time...
9.gif

----------------

Believe me, Nic.. you're almost converting me...
9.gif

** Edited to add --
I found these pics somewhere..

1-71ct_radiant_solitaire_ring_side_by_side.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results