shape
carat
color
clarity

this is all so confusing

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Shadow Eagle

Rough_Rock
Yes price is an issue i wish it wasn't but can you tell me if this is any good

Shape and cut Marquise Brilliant
weight .92
measurements 10.39 x 4.54 x 3.40

proportions

depth 74.90
table 54.00
crown 16.50
girdle medium to thick faceted
culet none

finish/symmetry good/good

clarity SI1
color j

Flouresence Strong Blue

comments laser drilled

certification EGL

they are asking 2,000 even, I know the color is low but it looked very nice, but then again what do i know.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I can't comment on the quality of the make. Dunno much about Marquis cut.

I can tell you the diamond is Clarity Enhanced. In the comments section, it says "laser drilled". A laser was used to drill a tube into an inclusion. Resin material was injected to coat the inclusion and back fill the tube. There may only be 1 tube, or there may be several. Depends on the number of major incusions.

The problem with CE diamonds is they cannot withstand a jeweler's torch during setting. Acid wash or steam could also damage the CE treatment. Too much heat, and the resin melts. Also, the resin tends to yellow over time, requiring the process to be repeated to maintain the look of the diamond.

Here's a link to the Cut Chart for Marquis cuts. These are guidelines to follow during the selection process.

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/fnc3.asp

1.gif

mm

Rough_Rock
Shadow eagle, I reckon you are pretty lucky- As far as I can remember, the free demo version of diamondcalc has the marquis cut as it's only available stone.

So, while the rest of us fret over whether the princess cut we are looking at will really perform the way we hope, you can properly assess you desired stone shape for free!

Lucky bugger!

cheers
mm

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, a search for "Marquise, 0.8-1 cts, J color, SI1 clarity, 56-68.5% depth, 51-67% table, " produced stones around 2k with no drilling to boot.

The one you have has almost unbelievable proportions: so deep and elongated that I am wanderign wether this is safe to set ! If it is, the extra (extra) depth would probably make it sparklier despite bow tie and what not. This is the first ever marq one over 70% I encounetred !!!! Regardless of the look of this cut, teh proposrtions fringe on demanding a discount - since they are so much aside what the industry considers 'desirable'.

Just my 0.2, of course...

Did you take a look on those AGA charts? If nothing else, they are good to signal those cuts which either demand a discount or deserve a premium
angryfire.gif

Uncle Marty

Rough_Rock
PQ Collectables et al,
Where on the document does it read Clarity Enhanced?
I saw Lazer drilled but nothing about CE.

Did you assume it was a CE Diamond or are you clairvoyant.

Where did you get your Diamond education.

I am neither the seller nor the buyer but your asumption is unfair to both.

Uncle Marty of course

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
PQ, laser drilling and clarity enhancement (also called fracture filling) are two different things. One involves using a laser to bore a hole down to a dark inclusion (which is then bleached with acids), the other involves forcing a glass-like material into surface-reaching cracks/fissures to reduce their visibility.

Both must be disclosed to buyers, thus the "laser drilled" on the certificate. Based on that, there is no reason to believe the stone is also fracture-filled.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 3/3/2004 12:29:34 AM Uncle Marty wrote:

PQ Collectables et al,
Where on the document does it read Clarity Enhanced?
I saw Lazer drilled but nothing about CE.

Did you assume it was a CE Diamond or are you clairvoyant.

Where did you get your Diamond education.

I am neither the seller nor the buyer but your asumption is unfair to both.

Uncle Marty of course----------------

OK. Call me Claire, and Incorrect, as well. Thanks to LG also. I did ASSume when the poster listed the "laser drilled" comment, the diamond was a CE stone. I stand corrected.
9.gif

But don't they backfill the drill hole with something??
read.gif

EdSkinner

Shiny_Rock
Laser drilling leaves a wormhole in the stone and it is permenate. As far as I know acouple of laser holes are not going to affect the durablility of the stone. I have heard that at times they fill the hole with glass to mask the hole but I haven't seen it yet. The stone that shadow eagle has would not be better than a 3b cut because of the depth. It is only going to face up as a .75 ct. The crown, table and girdle sound ok. The length to width ratio is 2.28-1 which is alittle long, but some people like that. The thing to look for in the shape is that it looks like a football with no high shoulders near the points. I know alot of people on this site swear by ideal cuts, but not everybody can afford one. As for the depth I don't think that it would be that much of a problem to set, but then Iam not a setter. And if I had my choice between a deep stone and a shallow stone I would take deep. Shallow looks washed out in the middle, while deep will have a more pronounced bow tie and look like it is going to the dance. So if you are not that worried about cut, we can move on. A "J" color is what it is. It is the lower end of white, and once set up may look alittle yellow. I personally like SI1 stones (VS2 my favorite) You should not be able to see the inclusions with the naked eye, but if it is off to the side and you know where it is, and you want to find it you might be able to. Just as long as the marks do not stand out like a sore thumb. What it all boils down to is with the amount of money you have to spend, does this stone meet your criteria? I can not argue price, it seems very fair if the grading cert is correct. Color and clarity are subjective and may vary 1 grade from lab to lab. If the color and clarity are one grade less it doesn't look like as good a deal but still better than some.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results