shape
carat
color
clarity

This is a NAUGHTY NAUGHTY Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
Okay guys - I''m sure EVERYONE on here has "done it" at least ONCE - admit it now, will you?

How many people have LIED about their jewellery? (not what you thought this topic was going to be about, was it?)

Either you said the stone was bigger than it really was, you "improved" a colour grade a bit or you said you got your e-ring at the local, respectable jeweller (when in fact you got it at a pawn shop - not that there''s anything WRONG with that! I visit my local pawn shop on a regular basis - dude their stuff is WAY OVER PRICED)

Anyone willing to cop to it? What did you say and why? (this is just for fun guys - NOBODY on here can lie to the Pricescopers - they can''t be fooled!)

- Jodie -

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Nope never ever lied about my jewelery ever, unless you count people asking me how much things cost and I tell them I don''t know when I do but I don''t think that counts.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Nope, never lied about where it came from, what its stats are, etc - on any of my pieces. If someone asks, I tell.

I have played coy when someone asked the cost and I felt uncomfortable sharing - I just said I didn''t remember.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, no.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Lol YES! I got my big OEC off eBay and it drives me batty what happens when I tell people that when they ask. People ask me all the time "oh did you get that here?" (meaning at the antique mall I work at). I've found it's much better to just say "yes". If I say that I got it off ebay, then the conversation tends to take a weird turn, and people think it's often OK to ask how much I paid, and so on.

I also will lie and say it's fake sometimes if someone who gives me the heebie jeebies asks if it's real. That's about it though.

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 1:32:46 AM
Author: LittleGreyKitten
Lol YES! I got my big OEC off eBay and it drives me batty what happens when I tell people that when they ask. People ask me all the time ''oh did you get that here?'' (meaning at the antique mall I work at). I''ve found it''s much better to just say ''yes''. If I say that I got it off ebay, then the conversation tends to take a weird turn, and people think it''s often OK to ask how much I paid, and so on.

I also will lie and say it''s fake sometimes if someone who gives me the heebie jeebies asks if it''s real. That''s about it though.
Oh, I do that sometimes as well! In my country diamond engagement rings/wedding bands are not that common so mine attract a lot of attention. If a stranger stares at my hand too intensely at the cafe, bus, etc. and then asks me if my rings are real, I usually say no.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
A plain band ain''t much to lie about.

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
I have a really nice pair of fake diamond solitaire studs, they are about 1 ctw so small enough to be realistically real. I have had one or two friends who know most of my other jewelry is real (these are the only fake ''diamonds'' I wear), make comments like ''those earrings are sooo nice'' meaning that they think they are real diamonds. I just say thanks and don''t mention that they are fake.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 12:49:57 AM
Author:mausketeer
Okay guys - I''m sure EVERYONE on here has ''done it'' at least ONCE - admit it now, will you?

How many people have LIED about their jewellery? (not what you thought this topic was going to be about, was it?)

Either you said the stone was bigger than it really was, you ''improved'' a colour grade a bit or you said you got your e-ring at the local, respectable jeweller (when in fact you got it at a pawn shop - not that there''s anything WRONG with that! I visit my local pawn shop on a regular basis - dude their stuff is WAY OVER PRICED)

Anyone willing to cop to it? What did you say and why? (this is just for fun guys - NOBODY on here can lie to the Pricescopers - they can''t be fooled!)

- Jodie -
Nope...no reason to lie...but i do love seeing some peoples reactions when I inform them that the jewelry they just complimented me on came from a pawn shop,garage sale or thrift store...most people i know have never been in a pawn shop before I take them shopping for jewelry.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have lied. But not in the way you think. I've lied about the price of my setting, and of my wedding band, and John's wedding band to my family who has NO IDEA what jewelry costs and always thinks jewelry costs less (much less) than it does. I think I discounted my setting price by 1K, my wedding band by a couple hundred, and John's band by 50%. Seriously. They would FREAK if they realized what things cost. No clue.

ETA: My family is overly nosey and extremly enmeshed and do NOT get boundaries so playing coy is not an option with things like that. If you do that they get dramatic and assume the worst. It's much easier just to lie. Sad but true. And yes, I have tried to set boundaries, and continue to, things like this are just not worth the effort.

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 1:32:46 AM
Author: LittleGreyKitten
Lol YES! I got my big OEC off eBay and it drives me batty what happens when I tell people that when they ask. People ask me all the time ''oh did you get that here?'' (meaning at the antique mall I work at). I''ve found it''s much better to just say ''yes''. If I say that I got it off ebay, then the conversation tends to take a weird turn, and people think it''s often OK to ask how much I paid, and so on.

I also will lie and say it''s fake sometimes if someone who gives me the heebie jeebies asks if it''s real. That''s about it though.

LOL - funny, I was hoping you''d chime in Kitten. We seem a bit alike on here personally - I also have the "what was I thinking?" finger tattoo (on my right hand - it''s always covered now with one ring or another) and I have the whole "goth" vibe going too (you said that in one of your posts that you were a goth or former goth like me)

I was reading through some of your posts (was looking for more photos of your FABULOUS 3+ carat OEC ring - I just love it) and I had wondered where it is that you work? (if you feel comfortable saying so) I live in Vancouver and come down to Seattle on a regular basis to visit my (future) in-laws. Would love to check it out some time.....

Regarding the thread I started here - I''m thinking I just might say my e-ring is an antique stone (looks like one) I''m anticipating questions about it and it will just be easier and kinda fun to fib about it (it will be a unique shape to a lot of people who have never seen one - a chunky cushion - and a "weird" colour - M) I know a lot of people won''t know it''s a diamond..... "Oh, it''s an antique" will just be an easy answer, you know?

- Jodie -

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 3:10:50 AM
Author: Gypsy
I have lied. But not in the way you think. I''ve lied about the price of my setting, and of my wedding band, and John''s wedding band to my family who has NO IDEA what jewelry costs and always thinks jewelry costs less (much less) than it does. I think I discounted my setting price by 1K, my wedding band by a couple hundred, and John''s band by 50%. Seriously. They would FREAK if they realized what things cost.

Yes, I am in the same camp on this too! My family is totally "open" about everything and it''s not rude at all for any of us to ask stuff like this of each other. My sister already wanted to know how much my e-ring cost and I tried to get away with "not as much as you are probably thinking" (to have it MADE by someone is completely out of her experience so she assumed it was a lot of money) but she wouldn''t let me get away with that! LOL

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I don't know why I would have any reason to lie...if I owned any expensive jewellery I'm not proud of/happy to own, I'd be a dork
5.gif

If anybody ever asks, I'm excited to tell them my ering is a K, as it doesn't look like what ppl would expect. Its only happened once or twice, but those ppl have been very complimentary.

I have played down what it costs to family - but I haven't been asked outright, so there wasn't really a lie - more like a not telling, lol.. I'm like Gypsy, family would freak if they knew how much "my lil habit" really costs, ha!

I have noticed on here before what you mentioned, somebody exaggerating the size of their diamond by quite a bit - I didn't get why they would, so just had to giggle
1.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve avoided questions or downplayed it at times when I felt uncomfortable but that is it.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No I haven't felt the need to lie about any of my pieces but I must admit if anyone shows interest I try to take the opportunity to educate them a little on how cut does not refer to shape and what a difference it makes to the beauty of the diamond!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Nope, no reason to lie.
1.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Never lied. I sometimes forget whether my e-ring is 1.56 or 1.58, so I may have switched those up once or twice. I still can''t remember...

To be honest, not one person off of PS has even asked the color or the size. They just aren''t common questions outside of our diamond bubble. (and anywhere who works with jewelry of course.)

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Nope, except:

I always tell people my husband 'surprised' me with the gift of bling. (he's NEVER involved in the purchase except to sometimes get out his wallet if it's technically a 'gift' from him....saves him trying to shop!) but they seem to react funny if I tell them I bought it myself......it's easier to just say it was a gift from sweet DH.

People in my part of the world seem to think you're a spoiled brat if you buy your own jewellry. I don't get that but can't be bothered trying to explain myself.

A few people have asked how much my BLUEBERRY ER was....they'll say, hmmm, nice ring, what was that, about $X.XX? They usually guess way too low because people have no idea how much custom work is. I just say, "oh no, that wouldn't cover the cost of the sapphire alone" and that shuts them up. (it bugs me when people ask that question, unless it's my mom).

LS

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2009 2:09:07 AM
Author: MishB
I have a really nice pair of fake diamond solitaire studs, they are about 1 ctw so small enough to be realistically real. I have had one or two friends who know most of my other jewelry is real (these are the only fake ''diamonds'' I wear), make comments like ''those earrings are sooo nice'' meaning that they think they are real diamonds. I just say thanks and don''t mention that they are fake.
I will confess to letting someone assume that my studs were real when in fact they were not (only because this someone was completely obnoxious). Otherwise, I have never lied about any of my jewelry.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
I have never lied about my jewelry.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2009 8:21:18 AM
Author: neatfreak
I''ve avoided questions or downplayed it at times when I felt uncomfortable but that is it.
Yeah, I have probably done this before. There have been times when I just don''t feel comfortable sharing price and such.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2009 3:10:50 AM
Author: Gypsy
I have lied. But not in the way you think. I''ve lied about the price of my setting, and of my wedding band, and John''s wedding band to my family who has NO IDEA what jewelry costs and always thinks jewelry costs less (much less) than it does. I think I discounted my setting price by 1K, my wedding band by a couple hundred, and John''s band by 50%. Seriously. They would FREAK if they realized what things cost. No clue.

ETA: My family is overly nosey and extremly enmeshed and do NOT get boundaries so playing coy is not an option with things like that. If you do that they get dramatic and assume the worst. It''s much easier just to lie. Sad but true. And yes, I have tried to set boundaries, and continue to, things like this are just not worth the effort.
This is my inlaws exactly. So my husband did lie to them a bit on how much my upgrade was, even though the stone was heavily discounted due to being in a used ring. They don''t care what my BIL spends on his wife (2.25ct RB), but always want to know how much we spend on everything. Argh. We''ve been married 26 years this year, and it''s never stopped.

No I don''t lie to anyone. I like that we got a great deal on my upgrade. No one in real life asks how much anything costs. I would say it was fake if I got a bad vibe, and honestly, I get the impression that most people assume my set is fake anyway. I am forever in a t-shirt and jeans with running shoes (can''t wear anything uncomfortable on my feet because I''m diabetic). Only jewelry store people seem to know my set is real.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 9:36:56 AM
Author: LostSapphire
Nope, except:

I always tell people my husband 'surprised' me with the gift of bling. (he's NEVER involved in the purchase except to sometimes get out his wallet if it's technically a 'gift' from him....saves him trying to shop!) but they seem to react funny if I tell them I bought it myself......it's easier to just say it was a gift from sweet DH.

People in my part of the world seem to think you're a spoiled brat if you buy your own jewellry. I don't get that but can't be bothered trying to explain myself.

A few people have asked how much my BLUEBERRY ER was....they'll say, hmmm, nice ring, what was that, about $X.XX? They usually guess way too low because people have no idea how much custom work is. I just say, 'oh no, that wouldn't cover the cost of the sapphire alone' and that shuts them up. (it bugs me when people ask that question, unless it's my mom).

LS
I've done this before, especially to co-workers. I just try and keep my jewelry addiction to myself.

Luckily, DH has not made a liar of me during my most recent project. Last night he offered to buy my ACA for me (that should be ready and shipped today)!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I rarely lie and I''ve never lied about my jewelry. Then again, nobody IRL asks.... And, you can''t lie to the PSers, they know!!

Thinking about it, I can''t imagine WHY I would lie about my jewelry either.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Nope, no lies here!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 8:25:06 AM
Author: Lorelei
No I haven''t felt the need to lie about any of my pieces but I must admit if anyone shows interest I try to take the opportunity to educate them a little on how cut does not refer to shape and what a difference it makes to the beauty of the diamond!

Me too! I love to ask people to "guess the color" on my K stone, and then explain how cut can mask color and so on. It''s fun giving detailed info, if folks are interested.

So, no, I don''t lie about the stats of my stones etc.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do tell my co-workers that DH has bought me jewellery when it''s actually me. I let slip to one woman that what I was wearing wasn''t the engagement ring that DH bought me and that I''d actually bought it myself. It just wasn''t worth it. She is of the opinion that you shouldn''t buy jewellery for yourself unless it''s inexpensive, that you shouldn''t replace your wedding set, and that you should never remove your wedding set. It really is amazing how much jewellery DH buys me that he has no clue about and has never seen before.

I give round numbers if asked for a carat weight. The centre stone is .47 (I think). I say "half carat". No need to split hairs to someone who doesn''t really understand and has no true interest.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Nope, never. Never really had a reason to, honestly...

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
Not anymore, years back I had to travel as part of my work, I got mugged once, bad enough to avoid diamonds entirely away from home, even for vaca. Still have 2 fake ring replicas/studs that I hardly wear. No one from work ever asked abut them but if they did, I''d prob tell the truth, they knew about the incident.
Other than that, I have no real reason to give up info about my pieces or my weight, LOL too personal.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve never lied about my diamond. I don''t see any need to.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results