shape
carat
color
clarity

This is a long shot, but I''ll try anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone have a .70ct ish asscher on a size 6 ish finger?

Can''t find anywhere around here that actually carries asschers and I want to get an idea of the finger coverage.

With the economy as it is, gonna have to knock the halo/pave plan for a while and go with a solitaire until I can save up for the setting I really want. Long as I have the setting I want by the time I get married, it''s all good
1.gif

I wasn''t worried about the finger coverage with a halo around it, but I know asschers face up small and since it''ll be a solitaire, I wanted to get an idea of the size.

Thanks all. Feedback/ideas always appreciated.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
The dimensions, I believe, will be close to a .50ct round.

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
Alrighty. Of course I fall in love with the cut that doesn''t look its best in the range we can afford! Haha. I''m really okay with the .70ct size, I have seen a .70ct asscher in a halo here on PS with a size 6 finger, and I love it. It''s just right for me. But as far as a solitaire, I''m skeptical. It will be temporary, and I might not like it, but with the economy the way it is, I''m gonna have to work my way up to the ring I really want.

I thought it would be fun to be in charge of my e-ring, but it''s kind of exhausting!

Hm, maybe I''ll just save longer (okay, a lot longer!) and get a 1ct instead.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Feral! Just wanted to ask what color and clarity you are looking for because if you are going to be waiting, try to see if GOG will find you an asscher in your budget that is an eyeclean SI and an I color. It will look really lovely, and will maximize your budget. Just make sure it's an asscher the qualifies for their upgrade and you'll be okay. I know asscher girl got hers from them and it's a G Si1 and she's got upgrade plans a plenty! Also, I wouldn't focus too much on carat size, but rather on spread. Kaleigh's lovely asscher is under a carat and it faces up almost exactly the same size as my I.096.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 2:59:42 PM
Author: Gypsy
Hi Feral! Just wanted to ask what color and clarity you are looking for because if you are going to be waiting, try to see if GOG will find you an asscher in your budget that is an eyeclean SI and an I color. It will look really lovely, and will maximize your budget. Just make sure it''s an asscher the qualifies for their upgrade and you''ll be okay. I know asscher girl got hers from them and it''s a G Si1 and she''s got upgrade plans a plenty! Also, I wouldn''t focus too much on carat size, but rather on spread. Kaleigh''s lovely asscher is under a carat and it faces up almost exactly the same size as my I.096.
Great idea! I hope they can someday find me an eyeclean SI emerald cut!

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 2:59:42 PM
Author: Gypsy
Hi Feral! Just wanted to ask what color and clarity you are looking for because if you are going to be waiting, try to see if GOG will find you an asscher in your budget that is an eyeclean SI and an I color. It will look really lovely, and will maximize your budget. Just make sure it''s an asscher the qualifies for their upgrade and you''ll be okay. I know asscher girl got hers from them and it''s a G Si1 and she''s got upgrade plans a plenty! Also, I wouldn''t focus too much on carat size, but rather on spread. Kaleigh''s lovely asscher is under a carat and it faces up almost exactly the same size as my I.096.

Hehe hi Gypsy!

Oh, I''m not picky.. Color.. I''d be willing to go down to an I, easy. If it''s eyeclean, even SI2 is fine with me. I will be upgrading my setting way before my diamond. But my goal in the long run (IE maybe when I''m 50 LOL) is to get up to a 1.5ct asscher. That''s my dream size.

But at 21? Bring in the .50-.70 babies!
3.gif

Once I get the $$ saved up I will definitely call GOG and see what''s up. Almost there! I found a .70ct for 1,080, it was a J SI1, and the cut was "premium" which I think is right below Ideal, but not quite as low as "very good"? I don''t know, I wish these sites would all use the same lingo.
32.gif
J is a tad low, but it''s still near colorless enough for me. I saw someone''s J asscher on PS yesterday and it looked awesome to me!

So the deals ARE out there, just have to go find em!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've seen some knock out J asschers. As for premium... don't worry about the lingo. Keep to the specs. Eyeclean SI is going to be much harder in a step cut than a brilliant cut.

Let us know when you start hunting in earnest, I know we'd love to help you out.

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy: I will certainly let you all know when the real hunt begins! At this point SO and I save about 200 dollars a week, with plenty left over for life''s expenses. We''re at 800 right now. So it won''t be long! As things stand right now, I''m pretty much feeling out the range I need to save for.

DiamondFlame: Unfortunately, I don''t have enough saved up to make a move on anything. We originally were going to go with a .50ct asscher, but my research has led me to think that that is just too small to do an asscher any justice.
7.gif
.70ct is probably as high as we can afford to go. The setting I REALLY want is 1,550. But for now, we''re gonna have to do a simple solitaire. And I mean SIMPLE! Haha. SO wants to keep it at 1,100 or so for the diamond, but I''ve only found one .70 in that range, from IDJewlery. Very tight budget here, but I think we can probably make it work somehow.

I wish this post was the real deal "I''m ready to purchase" type thing. But at this point, I''m just curious as to how a .70ct asscher will look in terms of size. Still doing research, so I''m fully prepared when I do make the "all important" post!

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
TOPIC CHANGEEEE!!!

What do you guys think of this diamond, to me it seems like it might be too good to be true. I requested information on it, but I''m thinking if it''s SI1, .70ct and only $960 with PS discount, do you think it''s eyeclean? I mean, it is a J, SI1 and just under ideal cut, but all the other .70cts I''m seeing are nowhere near this price range.

Here it is.

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
You would have to contact them to know. Eye-clean SI step cuts are tough to find, but they are out there. They probably would probably hold it for you if your interested.

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
I am so scared now that I posted that that someone will jack it! I didn''t even think if that. I was just so excited!
32.gif

I don''t think they could hold it for me, cause I won''t be ready to go after it for about 3 more weeks. Which is a bummer. It probably won''t still be available. Man, if that thing is eyeclean, I might just sell my car for it LOL.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The table is way too big on that one honey, IMO. Get the crown height first, then we''ll see.

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
See this is why I need you guys around. So I don't sell my car.

I noticed that the table was a high percentage. I have read all the Knowledge section and read things online, but I just cannot wrap my head around numbers and what they mean, what is good and what is bad. Esp for fancy cuts. Bah. I know you can't tell what a fancy cut looks like from the numbers, but what CAN you tell? What should I be looking for, and what rules something out?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 6:21:38 PM
Author: Feralpenchant
TOPIC CHANGEEEE!!!

What do you guys think of this diamond, to me it seems like it might be too good to be true. I requested information on it, but I''m thinking if it''s SI1, .70ct and only $960 with PS discount, do you think it''s eyeclean? I mean, it is a J, SI1 and just under ideal cut, but all the other .70cts I''m seeing are nowhere near this price range.

Here it is.
no chance of it being well cut
Depth: 71.1%
Table: 72.0%
bleck

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Storm.
1.gif

If the stone is so bad, why on earth would they classify it as a premium cut?

Back to the drawing board, and gonna have to save for a lot longer than I thought! I would go with the original plan of a .50ct asscher, but after the feedback I''ve gotten about half carat asschers, I don''t know if I want to go that small.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 11:45:28 PM
Author: Feralpenchant
Thanks Storm.
1.gif

If the stone is so bad, why on earth would they classify it as a premium cut?
ummmm cant answer that question with in the confines of the rules.
The ratings are useless.

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Strmrdr,
What are the general guidelines for determining the cut quality of asschers?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 12:24:37 AM
Author: Diamond Explorer
Strmrdr,

numbers don't mean much have to have pictures but in general...
1: square - 1.04l/w and under
2: high crown 10% min and proportional to depth, the deeper the stone the higher the crown should be.
3: smallish table under 64 maybe 65, With a high enough crown there are some exceptions.
4: depth under 70 unless it has a very high crown or carries a discount.
5: med girdle or thicker without a wide range, v-thick should be approached with caution but can be fine.
6: vg/vg polish/sym if calling a stone in, if its in stock good polish/sym can be considered on a case by case basis with an expert opinion on its effects.

The rest is all pictures to look for patterns and light return and check the P3 angles.

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/1/2009 12:34:02 AM
Author: strmrdr
Date: 4/1/2009 12:24:37 AM

Author: Diamond Explorer

Strmrdr,

numbers don''t mean much have to have pictures but in general...

1: square - 1.04l/w and under

2: high crown 10% min and proportional to depth, the deeper the stone the higher the crown should be.

3: smallish table under 64 maybe 65, With a high enough crown there are some exceptions.

4: depth under 70 unless it has a very high crown or carries a discount.

5: med girdle or thicker without a wide range, v-thick should be approached with caution but can be fine.

6: vg/vg polish/sym if calling a stone in, if its in stock good polish/sym can be considered on a case by case basis with an expert opinion on its effects.

The rest is all pictures to look for patterns and light return and check the P3 angles.

Thanks, That is awesome to know. There is so much less information on fancy cuts than rounds.

I have seen some very nice and fiery step cuts, and I have seen some real duds. Its good to be able to get an idea from the numbers.

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Looks like you''re really set at getting an Asscher. I started out wanting to get an Asscher but figured I''d need to spend a lot more to get the desired face up size. Decided to go with a cushion and build up the Asscher fund for a future RHR or 10th anniversary gift.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results