shape
carat
color
clarity

This HCA grade thing has me confused...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

murz

Rough_Rock
How exactly does the HCA grade evaluate a diamond? The stone I entered came back with a score of 5 - Good only if price is a major factor (or something like that). I personally liked the diamond (and expected a higher grade), but I guess this begs the question of just how much better it can get? Diamond specs were as follows:

.82 carat
D
SI1
6.07 x 6.00x 3.77
Depth % 62.5
Table % 56
Crown % 15.9
Pavillion % 43.5
Culet none
Price is US$4400

As it is, I think this price is a little high, but still in budget. This grading has me wondering how much better I can get AT this budget. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hodne

Rough_Rock
Check out this ACA from Whiteflash
lickout.gif

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/diamond_Details.aspx?itemcode=AGS-4259504

The price is $3881 for Pricesope visitors
1.gif

mhtv

Rough_Rock
"I personally liked the diamond...."

this brings up a key point. you have actually VIEWED the diamond, and HCA has NOT. hca results very well may not accord with the actual appearance of the diamond. added to this weakness, the conclusions made by the HCA are the subjective preferences of the hca creator. they are virtually arbitrary.

also, the differences between categories do not necessarily have the visual difference that is implied...the actual visual differences, IF ANY, are not at all indicated or explained by the hca system....someone says "less brilliant", but no useful detail is provided..for instance, HOW MUCH "less brilliant"??? is the ALLEGED difference detectable in typical viewing circumstances? by an untrained viewer? by anyone? in actual viewing realtiy, the differences that are often referred to in this forum usually range from tiny to non-existent, and warrant no concern.

if you are looking for a shortcut around actually viewing diamonds and comparing them, and deciding which one APPEALS to YOU the most, you do so at the risk of making a completely arbitrary choice. if you use the HCA as the shortcut, the risk is quite high.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
mhtv.....? hmmmm.....this looks like Brad in (ineffective) disguise.

Brad, is that you? C'mon.....come out and play.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results