shape
carat
color
clarity

This diamond seems promising, any expert opinions?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The proportions are good, but the cut precision is not great. If you share your budget and color/clarity/size constraints, we can help you look.

Pseudonymmed

Rough_Rock
The proportions are good, but the cut precision is not great. If you share your budget and color/clarity/size constraints, we can help you look.

How can you tell? Shouldn't an "Excellent" symmetry mean pretty good precision?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The circled areas are an indication of an unevenly cut pavilion.

imprecise.jpg

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Each grading lab is at liberty to set their own criteria and strictness for what they feel constitutes their own cut grades.

For this particular diamond, you have a heck of an advantage due to the in-depth assessment diagrams...and a 40.7° PA has been assigned a 42.5% pavilion depth, which is a little shallow for the angle: that indicates that there may be a few pavilion facets that averaged out well under 40.7 plus the visual indicator of some unevenness with the pavilion (which Kim N graciously pointed out).
There are also a couple pavilion facets that averaged out around 41°, and the optics can start getting a little dicey when a steeper pavilion facets are paired with steeper crown facets, which a couple averaged out around 35.2°

Screenshot_20231016-195516-888.png

Screenshot_20231016-195709-548.png

Screenshot_20231016-201323-960.png

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@DejaWiz look at the lgf angles just below the 3 oclock main, compare to the other lgf pairs.
Notice the difference between the 2 numbers? 41.64-41.36 compared to doing the same to the other lgf pairs.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
@DejaWiz look at the lgf angles just below the 3 oclock main, compare to the other lgf pairs.
Notice the difference between the 2 numbers? 41.64-41.36 compared to doing the same to the other lgf pairs.

Yup...that amount of deviation tells me that the pavilion is definitely uneven - cutter may have been trying to preserve carat weight and shooting for 0.50+ carat to eek out as much profit as possible.
...which is a stupid tactic with LGD since they are cheap to grow and the trade difference between a 0.45-0.49 LGd is pennies or peanuts compared to 0.50-0.51 LGD.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yup...that amount of deviation tells me that the pavilion is definitely uneven - cutter may have been trying to preserve carat weight and shooting for 0.50+ carat to eek out as much profit as possible.
...which is a stupid tactic with LGD since they are cheap to grow and the trade difference between a 0.45-0.49 LGd is pennies or peanuts compared to 0.50-0.51 LGD.

Bad habits from cutting mined goods.

Pseudonymmed

Rough_Rock
Ok that's a lot of technical detail, how much of a difference will this make to the naked eye on a .49 carat diamond? Every time I think I've learned enough to choose one there is another thing to check.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It will be eye visible to some people in some lighting, 1/8 the diamond will look different from the rest of the stone.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Bad habits from cutting mined goods.

Exactly! I've seen quite a few round LGDs at the discount sellers lately with steep-deep proportions and/or twisted pavilions...there's just no reason for sloppy cutting pursuant to retaining carat weight for LGDs with the amount of rough being grown and cranked out right now.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Pseudonymmed can we help you find some better diamonds to pick from for your budget? Which sellers have you looked at?

Pseudonymmed

Rough_Rock
Pseudonymmed can we help you find some better diamonds to pick from for your budget? Which sellers have you looked at?

I already purchased a diamond ring, and the jeweller has offered to replace the diamond with a better one after I wasn't happy with the original. He has sent me details about a few options and this one seemed the best so far. I know I could look online but it will cost extra if I do, so I was hoping to find a good one through his suppliers if possible.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results