shape
carat
color
clarity

This diamond has me so confused!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I was browsing diamonds on ERD and found this one:

Shape : Round
Carats : 1.22
Cut Grade : Excellent
Color Grade : J
Clarity Grade : SI1
Certificate No. : 15149369
Measurement : 6.84x6.87x4.24
Depth : 61.9
Table : 58
Girdle : M-STK
Culet : None
Polish : Excellent
Symmetry : Excellent
Certification : GIA
Fluorescence : MB

The price is only $4862, so I figured SOMETHING had to be wrong with it. So I looked up the cert on the GIA site and put the dimensions in the cut advisor tool here on pricescope:

Light Return: Good
Fire: Fair
Scintillation: Fair
Spread: Very Good

I guess I''m just confused because it is rated as an excellent cut with excellent polish and symmetry, yet it rates so low on the cut advisor tool. How the heck is that possible? Isn''t excellent cut GIA''s highest grading? And if so, doesn''t the reflection of light have anything to do with their grading????

On a side note, I found a 1.23 J VS1 (GIA excellent cut) that had excellent all across the board on the cut advisor tool, yet the price of that one is only $5115. Does that seem kind of low? Is there something hidden there that the cut tool/GIA report isn''t telling me? Or is this just an extremely lucky deal that I''m about to lose since I just let the public know about it? lol

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Lucky...

As it happens, items contemporaneous with yours are easy to find on the page...see near by this piece on this one, and so, though the second one you mention, based on data shared, seems provisionally attractive, the pricing is a bit advantaged, but not wildly so. Certainly, however, while an unbiased reader can appreciate some possible validity in the controversy, finding among two options (as you have) one which is not compromised by the HCA, I''d pay the $400 premium to get the latter easily.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Wow...thank you for the reply.

It''s comforting to know that the budget was correct. I was thinking it would be $6500-$8000 for a decent 1.25-1.50ct. I''m ecstatic!

ebonykawai

Shiny_Rock
Out of curiosity, what are the pavilion and crown angles?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results