shape
carat
color
clarity

This Diamond Dummy needs help

DonnaH

Rough_Rock
I have been married 13 years and I am looking for an upgrade ring. My budget is $9000. I kind of love Kirk KAra rings and have my eye on one at a local jeweler. The semi-mount is $4100 (WG, platinum---way more)and one of the diamond the jeweler had in my price range was a round VS2 H for $3850. I really would like to have somethng in a better color and clarity....I was definately going for it until I found Pricescope!

I searched online and found another ring I just adore. It is a .99 ct radiant cut with 1 ct of diamonds around it, in platinum.It has a halo of diamonds with diamonds down the shank. Mark Braumond Below are the specifics on the GIA certification:
Measurments:
5.80 x 5.04 x 3.70
Carat Weight .99
Color Grade F
Polish Very Good
Symmetry Good
Flu None
Table: 71%
Am I missing anything?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome, Donna! This place is a wealth of information and I would encourage you to spend a little time reading and exploring before you make a decision. It is easy to choose a well cut round stone almost by the numbers, but for fancy shape stones, we'd have to see pictures and preferably an ASET image to give us an idea of light performance. I'd encourage you to spend some time looking at rings on the Show Me the Bling part of the forum to see lots of different stones and settings. Start on this page and go backwards and you can see pictures of most of the rings that have been posted here over a period of several years:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-forum-engagement-ring-folder-eye-candy.5429/page-229']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-forum-engagement-ring-folder-eye-candy.5429/page-229[/URL]

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
what about the clarity of the diamond?

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Welcome to PS!

The table on the radiant sounds rather large. Do yourself a favor and utilize PS as a learning tool for at least a month before you commit to purchasing something. There is a wealth of knowledge here. Ask questions, even if you think it might be a silly one. The folks here are very helpful, and enjoy sharing their diamond smarts.

Congratulations on the upcoming anniversary!

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Donna,
I upgraded to a radiant cut 15 years ago from a very reputable local jeweler. He went over the 4C's with me, but never all the underlying criteria like polish, symmetry and percentages. It was 1.64ct, up from my .33, so I thought it was great. Over the years it always bothered me that it didn't seem to have any life and I felt I could see that the symmetry was off. (I am a Math teacher, so I like symmetry!!) Anyway, my son became engaged in March so I found this forum in December and learned a lot, before helping him to pick out a stone. The jeweler was a family friend, who told me he would never sell me a stone less than VG or EX for polish and symmetry. I had wanted to upgrade my ring for my 25th anniversary/50th birthday and when I pulled out my GIA report, I saw that my polish and symmetry were both Good. Needless to say, I was disappointed, but now I knew that what I had been seeing all along was right. Our friend helped me pick a beautiful 2.02 H, VS2, EX,EX radiant cut with halo (see my avatar) and what a difference the symmetry and polish make. I can't stop looking at it. It dances in every kind of light. Between this forum and my jeweler I learned a lot. That is why I keep coming back to admire everyone's rings!! I would definitely take your time and good luck in the hunt!!

DonnaH

Rough_Rock
Thanks. The hunt is on!!! The clarity on this diamond is VS1 and the report is GIA

DonnaH

Rough_Rock
Oh, and what is an ASET image? DO all jewelers provide them?

Luminous-MB

Rough_Rock
Trade
Communication and transparency from both the consumer and particularly the vendor is everything in a business transaction, especially in a purchase as important as an engagement or anniversary ring. You have found this site which gives you a great jump-start! Do your research and always ask questions and request more info. Plan different visits to vendors where you can look at different stones in person, compare numbers and learn what appeals most to you. This will give you a sturdier foundation and allow you to make the best decision while going deeper into you hunt! You won't go blind, but you also won't disregard certain stones off the bat either. Congrats and good luck!

DonnaH

Rough_Rock
Thanks MB! I appreciate your feedback. Your designs are lovely. I do have some questions so I will call or email you privately next week. I found some other rings on your site that are incredible!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results