shape
carat
color
clarity

Third time''s the charm??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JandJ

Rough_Rock
whew... okay:

first of all, hello everyone this is my first post. (but i have been guilty of lurking for some time)

secondly, i would love to have all of your opinions on my situation.

i got engaged to my boyfriend this fall w/ a beautiful 1.03 ct d color si1 radiant cut diamond set in a pave setting that was part of a wedding set (although we have yet to make the official announcement to our families-- his sister just got engaged, and then set her wedding for february, so we didn''t want to "steal her thunder", and then this whole fiasco happened) well, we went to christmas at his parents'' house, so i took off my ring and put it in the glove compartment of my car. long story short on the way home we got in a horrible car accident in which our vehicle flipped mulitple times and the ring was lost. the first ring that we purchased, we were really unsure about what we liked, so we opted for a b&m local jewelry store and i think all things considered got a fair value.

well, after the ring was lost (luckily it was insured!!!) and given the fact that we both now had an idea of what we liked in diamonds, we decided to upgrade and go the online route. this time around, we purchased a 1.72 ct e color si2 radiant cut diamond solitare from uniondiamond.com. when it arrived, my fiance immediately said he believed something was wrong with it. i dismissed him, dazzled by the larger size of the diamond, but we planned on taking it to be looked at by a jeweler here, anyways.... well i''m glad we did! because the jeweler stated that the corner of the diamond had been chipped when it was set and we could clearly see it under magnification. needless to say, the ring went back. and from the sort of snotty response i got over the phone, i don''t think i will do business w/ union diamond again.

anyways, in searching and searching, i happened upon this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250203704063

and fell in love! but, given all that ive read here on the site regarding ebay purchases, i, of course, am leary at best.
i really think that i have found "the ring" in terms of the look. now is just finding it... i have searched and searched but can''t seem to find the trapezoid setting anywhere but the mdc place without going completely custom (which scares me).

i have a budget of about $8-9000 for both the ring and the stone (maaaaaaybe more, but would like to stay in that range), and want a more rectangular radiant cut center stone (L/W ratio of AT LEAST 1.10) and would like to get as big as possible w/out sacrificing quality... Can anyone help out?

All comments, suggestions, etc are GREATLY appreciated.

THANK YOU!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, you have been through a lot with your e-ring in a very short time! I certainly am glad you weren't hurt badly in the accident, and good for you for having that ring insured!!!

The first thing I'd like to say, is that Leon Mege makes a fabulous simple platinum setting, and I would recommend him for the setting. There are sample 3 stone rings on his site for you to look at. You will find the center stone (I'd suggest contacting Jonathan at Good Old Gold for the radiant....I have bought from them) and then send it to Leon, and he will match up the sidestones and send you a picture for your approval.

www.artofplatinum.com

www.goodoldgold.com (they can access other stones that are not on the site)

(I just wanted to add that I think you should tell your families that you are engaged! It would only be stealing her thunder if you planned your wedding too close to hers. You have a right to enjoy your own engagement!)

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
To me, that ring looks photo shopped and even if it''s not, I''m doubting that is the exact stone/ring you''d be getting...the photo looks weird on the band...like it''s a cad or photo shop setting???

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto to being through a lot! Glad you''re ok.

And please, buy from a reputable vendor. As ds said, GOG could help you find a stone, and you might try Engagementringsdirect. Mark is known as the cushion guy, but I''m sure he could probably find you a Radiant.

And of course, if it''s in budget, Leon Mege does fabulous work. Can''t go wrong there.

Good luck!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to PS!!!! Thank goodness you and your FI are ok!

I totally agree with the others....contact GOG or Mark at ERD (whom I have personally worked with and he is awesome) and let one of them source your radiant for you....they will also find you pair of matching traps once you pick your center stone....

I LOVE that setting by the way!!!! Make sure to come back and post pics when its all done!!!
36.gif
36.gif
Good luck!!!

JandJ

Rough_Rock
thank you so much for all your kind thoughts and great advice! the search for the perfect diamond (for me!) continues, but i now know what direction to move in!!

another question: does anyone have any opinion on what type of ratio between a center radiant vs the two side traps look best?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2008 11:17:17 AM
Author: JandJ

another question: does anyone have any opinion on what type of ratio between a center radiant vs the two side traps look best?
Gosh, I wouldn''t know. I would try searching on here for "Radiant", "radiant with traps", etc. I know you''ll get some threads with pics and info.

And I know for sure, if you went with Leon for the setting, almost everyone lets him pick out the cooridnating side stones. He does a fantastic job.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2008 11:25:35 AM
Author: Ellen

Gosh, I wouldn't know. I would try searching on here for 'Radiant', 'radiant with traps', etc. I know you'll get some threads with pics and info.

And I know for sure, if you went with Leon for the setting, almost everyone lets him pick out the cooridnating side stones. He does a fantastic job.
yea he should be able too help you with that.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
thank you so much for all your kind thoughts and great advice! the search for the perfect diamond (for me!) continues, but i now know what direction to move in!!

There is some kind of formula they use...Mark at ERD explained it to me when I was considering turning my EC solitaire into a 3 stone with step cut traps.
That's why you need to pick your center stone first, then they will help you find a set of matching side traps to fit the type of look you want to achieve for your ring.
2.gif

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I understand that people need to exercise EXTREME caution when buying on Ebay, but I have personally been very lucky with my purchases! As long as the vendor is reputable (research feedback history at www.toolhaus.org), the return policy is reasonable and you pay using Paypal (my 1st layer of protection) using your credit card (2nd and better layer of protection), you should be OK. I still find Ebay to be a good resource, if you do it right.

Having said that, and with very little Photoshop experience, I cannot comment on the photo itself. But wanted to chime in that the ring appears lovely - the diamond is just gorgeous. If serious about this ring, I would begin by asking to see a copy of the GIA report and verifying its authenticity.

Good luck - cant wait to see what you end up with!

PS: Glad to hear that you are both unhurt after the accident
1.gif

JandJ

Rough_Rock
okay, so i just wanted to update you all on the process and shamelessly beg for some more input!
31.gif

so i have been searching and reading on here like a crazy person tons of old posts on radiants and cushions, traps, etc to get a better idea. i emailed mark at erd, leon mege, and gog to start the search as i realize i really need my center stone first.

mark emailed me w/ some raidant options, but all a little smaller than i was really hoping for:

1.12ct. FVS1

1.15ct. EVS1

1.25ct. FVS1

1.14ct. EVS1

I would need to email him back and try to find some stones slightly less on the clarity scale because as long as it''s eyeclean, i would rather put my budget towards size!

but the real issue is my new dilemma: after reading the multiple posts regarding cushions vs. radiants i finally made it my mission to find a b&m store here that has both to compare side by side (very hard to find around here--but i did it!) anyways, i fell in love with the cushion! i still love the radiant, but im thinking i''m leaning towards cushion.

i emailed mark to see about looking for some cushions, but he told me that if i went the cushion route it would completely change the look of the ring. i realize different shape, different look, but do you all think a cushion cut would look wierd w/ trap sides? what about ovals or trillions?

ACK! this is so hard! fun, but hard!

oh, also i love leon''s work for setting, but am toying back and forth as to if it is worth the cost for my relatively straight forward setting w/ a fair, but not skyhigh budget? thoughts? has anyone gone w/ mark for settings and all?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
If I put anything with a cushion, it might be half moons. But if it truly were me, I''d just get a bigger cushion and put it in a pretty soliatire setting. But that''s just me.

And I''ve seen many pretty rings come from Mark.

JandJ

Rough_Rock
thanks for the input, ellen! a solitare is definitely in the running too... i really liked my radiant solitare (with the exception of the chip) and i figure i can always get an eternity band for my wedding ring if i forego the side diamonds...

i just have to decide between:

1. radiant vs. cushion
2. sidestone vs. solitare
3. if sidestone, the shape...

19.gif
so many choices, and i am so indecisive when it comes to sparkly things!
30.gif
they all look so good! LOL

more opinions would be greatly appreciated!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Ellen. If you want sidestones with your cushion, I would ABSOLUTELY go with half moons. Gorgeous!
Mark really knows what he is talking about, so I would trust him. You just need to decided what kind of ring you want...Easier said than done, LOL!!!
2.gif

ETA: If you really want to get the most out of your budget, I would get the biggest, most beautiful stone you can afford and put it in a solitaire wg setting. Then, later down the road you can change the setting by adding sidestones, etc. That is what I would do.

Y

ydiamonds

I initially debated between radiant and cushion too, and decided on radiant with trilliant sides. I think trilliants would still look great with a cushion, but I like it with half moons too.

As for solitaire vs side stones, I didn''t want a wedding band, and thought a solitaire was too simple. The side stones are smaller than would be in a traditional 3-stone ring and really make the center stone pop, plus add coverage to my finger.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I''d vote solitaire with a cushion: somehow, they just look so classic and elegant to me! If you want to put the bulk of your budget towards your stone, might I suggest something like QOTDR''s solstice setting? It''s a little heavier then, say, the Leon setting of BostonJeff fame, but it looks absolutely beautiful to me, and quite proportional!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cushion-solitaire-pics.75631/

JandJ

Rough_Rock
:) thanks for all your input! :)

in talking with my man, i think i have decided to go with the cushion solitare! i love the simple look of a solitare and the clean lines are just classic and stunning. besides that, HE wants me to have the biggest rock ... LOL

now just to find the perfect stone...

i emailed mark at erd to start the search for cushions, any other places i should check out?

and as far table percentages and everything can anyone break it down a little for me? i have been trying to mess with the calculator, etc on the website here but i am confused...
33.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Let Mark find you the stone, forget worrying about specs, they''re only a small part of the equation. How they look is what matters in the end, and he''ll find you a good one. The only thing you would need to tell him, besides colors and clarities, is if you want a really square one, or one more rectangular.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay!!! Cushion solitaire by Leon is perfection!!! Great choice! Hope you can find a great cushion soon!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results