shape
carat
color
clarity

Third time’s a charm – meet Kallista my HG 5.68ct M SI1 OMC platinum ring by DK

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
** warning long post..

Two years ago I got my upgrade ring from hubby just in time to celebrate the birth of our son and 10 year anniversary. It was a 3.6ct M SI2 old mine cut – DSS set in quickly and before I even got to enjoy the ring (thank you swelling from pregnancy and birth!).

Ever since I have been searching for a bigger stone, but never imagined that it would come true. My requirements were that:
  • The stone had to be at least 10mm
  • White facing up to OP depending on the stone (initially I was willing to go to UV to get the spread but thankfully I didn't)
  • And most importantly under 35k - we went a little over budget
Thank you to @lulu_ma for her endless research so I knew I had a good deal.. and to @Tonks for providing the stone to finger size percentage. After seeing all the visuals, I wanted as close to 60% as possible so I wouldn’t have been satisfied with 10mm on my size 8.25 finger. I had to find something closer to 11mm! If you have been searching for old cuts, you would know how hard it would be to find something with the right faceting, colour, clarity and price. I was open to old European cuts as they seem to face up larger than the old mine cuts but couldn't find anything that fit the bill.

Recently our very own @88_star was able to source some big rocks for some PS’ers. I knew that I wanted to her to help me search for my dream HG diamond. One of the best things about @88_star is that she gets us PS’ers who are persnickety! I wanted a high crown but spready which is almost impossible to achieve! Thank you for your patience and entertaining my crazy requests. I really enjoyed looking at each potential stone in detail and reviewing it with @lula_ma, @Mreader and @oldcutclubmember. These legends also helped brainstorm setting inspiration and also persuade the hubby on the upgrade. If you ever need a bling sister to give you a good argument then these are your people ;-)!

One day I saw this omc that Rita on the Rocks had posted on her Instagram and was immediately drawn to it – a 5.68ct M SI1 white facing old mine cut with a spread of 11mm. I couldn’t stop thinking about it, the shape and faceting was *chefs kiss*. It was slightly over budget but fit every other parameter I had. The only downside was that it was pending sale! Bummer. And to top it all off apparently there were another 4 people on the waitlist to buy the stone. Needless to say, I was pretty disheartened. However, the following week I got a message from Rita that the stone had become available, but I needed to put down a 50% deposit. For one reason or another I guess I felt that Rita and I weren’t a very good fit. It was @lula_ma who suggested that maybe @88_star would be able to source the exact same stone for me. It was a pretty anxious wait and when she confirmed she could the rest was history. I've affectionately named her Kallista aka baby K as she's the most beautiful thing I've seen. Also special thanks to my stone's twin @sweetpea&babycorn for her inspiration on the setting.

An interesting thing to note was while I was going through my phone with all my “research” I found the exact same stone posted on Dolly’s Instagram stories back in December. I am so glad it didn’t sell back then as I was not ready to move ahead with my purchase then. I do feel like it was meant to be, third time lucky!

This ring means so much to me as we just celebrated the birth of my daughter and our family is now complete. It was also Mother's day as well and there is no better way to celebrate than with my two baby girls.

IMG_20240515_165829.jpg

5.68ct M SI1 OMC under a tree https://imgur.com/gallery/mZBDKHF

5.68ct M SI1 OMC in the car https://imgur.com/gallery/DqBcF9i

IMG20240514134437.jpg

IMG20240517123101.jpg

IMG20240515110639.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results