shape
carat
color
clarity

Thinning at base of band

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
I just picked up this beauty from an etsy seller. I adore it, but, it has some pretty severe thinning at the base of the band. The ring is currently a 5.5. I need to get it down to a 4.25. Any one have experience sizing with this much thinning? Is it possible to take the removed portion and add it back to the band to thicken it up a bit?any thoughts would be appreciated! View media item 122464View media item 122471View media item 122465View media item 122468View media item 122461View media item 122463

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't see a photo.
But when the shank is too thin, it might break and impale your finger, and you sure don't want that!
So the back of the shark can be replaced. I've done it many times because I repair my own pieces. A good jeweler can do this for you. The old thin piece cannot be incorporated into the new backing, though.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
Hmm...I must have my album settings wrong if you can't see the photos...albums are new to me, anyone know how to change the settings?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A jeweler can easily replace the shank for you.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
Is that often done with antique-ish rings? Any idea of a price range (obviously every jeweler is going to be a little different)

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, now that I've seen the photo...
Since you are going down in size, a jeweler will cut out the thin area and rejoin the shank.
This will bring you down to size 4.25.
The cost should be around $25-$30.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
Great! I have a friend who has a trusted jeweler locally I'll take it to them and see what they can do! Thanks!
(side note, any idea how to change the privacy settings on the albums? I see mine is set to private, but, I don't see an option to change it? I just had to upload the pictures directly into the thread)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Let us know how it works out.

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results