shape
carat
color
clarity

Thinking of purchasing this Oval diamond... what do you think?

jc133

Rough_Rock
Thank you, yes that's the thread I just noticed so figured I'd ask. Would it make sense for me to buy an ASET test kid (~$50) or would I be too much of a novice to even be able to tell when I was looking at. I will shop around and get as much info as possible and post it here. @WillyDiamond said, "Let some of the fancy experts find you a stone for your GF" I'm not quite sure what they meant by this though?

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ASETs on fancy cuts are not always pretty - that's why it's also important to see video or see them in person to see how the facets move and light on/off. If you feel confident enough to asses them on your own then by all means buy one...but it does take time and lots of examples to really "know" what you're looking at.

WD is saying you should start a thread explicitly stating what you're looking for (i.e., 'looking for 1.4+ oval diamond') in order to get stone suggestions from the fancy cut PS experts.

jc133

Rough_Rock
Ok I will start that up thank you so much, I'm really happy I have found this site!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, that oval you posted has a huge bow tie and looks dead... forget Jared. Let PS members help you.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From the pictures, the stone does look to have a very large bowtie. Anyone on this forum would urge you to stay away from Jared's - you could do better for your money elsewhere. When you move, you can find a reputable local jeweler who could clean your ring and inspect which is typically done for free....

This is exactly what I'd go for if I were you. I'd ask JA for a PS discount and also get $100 off with a referral code which you could get if you have 2 email addresses:
Stone: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.50-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-2775241
Setting: https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...pave-crown-diamond-engagement-ring-item-53125 (go to recently purchased oval under shape and there's a lovely 1.5 oval as an example...the stone above would look whiter bc it's a G. I'd also ask them for delicate claw prongs)

Someone just got the setting above with a princess cut and it was lovely: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-value-for-a-purchase-from-jamesallen.231275/

OP, I'd have JA put this diamond on hold... it's a nice size and the cut looks good.

jc133

Rough_Rock
I was hoping for a F or higher, though like I said I'm very new to this. I have some time (not planning to propose until January) and this is a little bit pricier than I had hoped. Also as I stated in an earlier post about this stone, it looks to have a feather/twinning whisp? at the 1 o'clock on the table but it's not mentioned on the report. Any idea what that might be?

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was hoping for a F or higher, though like I said I'm very new to this. I have some time (not planning to propose until January) and this is a little bit pricier than I had hoped. Also as I stated in an earlier post about this stone, it looks to have a feather/twinning whisp? at the 1 o'clock on the table but it's not mentioned on the report. Any idea what that might be?

JC- have you asked JA to pull the stone and review it? We can speculate, but in reality we know as much as you do. I hope you also read my post that you could get $100 off with a referral code and ask them for a PS discount, which could help. G will still be plenty white especially if the stone is well cut. Someone just posted about an I colored oval that was white in all conditions until they took a picture (which made them nervous).

jc133

Rough_Rock
I have not, I didn't know that was a thing, I did also notice it was L/W ratio of 1.33 and I was looking more for ~1.4 for a more oval shape. However, it may be nice to have someone take a look. If I have them review it do I need to be available for the review or would they do this and get back to me. Is it just the "Diamond Inspection" button on the page with the stone or something completely different? Also, Is a faint fluorescent okay or is none the best?

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not, I didn't know that was a thing, I did also notice it was L/W ratio of 1.33 and I was looking more for ~1.4 for a more oval shape. However, it may be nice to have someone take a look. If I have them review it do I need to be available for the review or would they do this and get back to me. Is it just the "Diamond Inspection" button on the page with the stone or something completely different? Also, Is a faint fluorescent okay or is none the best?

Yes, it's the diamond inspection button. They usually pull the diamond and email you their findings but you could also use the chat function to ask them....

Faint fluorescence is fine...in fact, AGS encompasses both none and faint under 'negligible'.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results