shape
carat
color
clarity

Thinking about an upgrade. Thoughts on this stone?

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How are you now, @ringo865? So many people in this country go through cancer, but when it happens to you...it's like you're the only person. My thoughts are with you and I pray for a successful treatment and resolution for you!

After the initial whirlwind of appointments, tests, consultations, scans, etc., the plan was to do chemo before surgery. I started March 7 and have four chemos (of 16 total) left. Surgery, radiation, hormone blockers to look forward to after that (the order of which will be determined after another mri).

There is hope and you are not alone. Sounds promising that they didn’t rush you right in for surgery.

Don’t forget about reaching out for insight or support. I’ll be keeping you in my thoughts. Please post on your progress.

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oooooh, @carbonfan - then you are my girl on this project!

Can you pls tell me if this was adequately white to your eye?

As for it not making your heart sing - I suspect it wouldn't make my heart sing either, were it a solitaire. That is perhaps because it was made to go into a three stone! And I can definitely help it out in that regard!

And I would love having a stone previously worn by a PSer I like and admire!

One question, tho - if you switched to OECs and CBIs - how did this diamond find its way back to WF?

I love the stats on this stone - for me, they're far closer to perfect than my current stone, so at the very least, I'm making a solid step forward. I'll like that. :))
First off, I am not sure how I missed the medical update earlier, but I am so sorry to hear about all you are going through. I will certainly be sending my most fervent prayers and good vibes your way, believing that a positive outcome is on the horizon for you! ((Hugs!))

As far as the 3.218 stone, it was quite white to my eyes and I was initially enamored with it (in hindsight I was probably enamored with the idea of it as it was a full carat jump from my previous 2.2ct stone and F VS1 to boot!). However, within the span of 5-6 months that excitement faded, and I felt like I had made a mistake. The trade-in options obviously become quite limited at this price point (even if you want to go bigger, which I didn't), so I explored several options and was finally able to exchange my stone for a few smaller stones that have since gone to new homes/projects. It took about a year for all of this to work out due to inventory issues, but I definitely learned some invaluable lessons along the way!

In any case, I like your theory that maybe this stone is better suited as a the showstopper of a trilogy; I could certainly envision that! And thank you for your kind words... it will thrill me to no end for you to have the center stone that makes your heart sing. It sounds like you have really thought this through, and certain aspects of the stone speak to you (smaller table, higher crown, 76 LGF, VS1, etc.), so if this is the one, I'd say go for it! If it is your dream diamond I would love to see it find its home with you! :love:

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
This sounds like your dream diamond Mrs.B and it's absolutely gorgeous, just like you! You've said the proportions are YOUR ideals and we all know how important it is when we are staring at our ring (an unmentionable amount of times day and night lol) that it makes our heart happy and we are not thinking, oh I wish this was this clarity, or size or color. So, of coarse I say GO FOR IT :love: And if you decide to go up on the center or any other tweaks down the road, then it happens:geek2: And, you've done the hard work...you know the setting and style that you love! Now, it's the fun part - the bling sparkles!!!

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gosh what an amazing upgrade of an already amazing ring! From what you’re saying, it seems the knowledge that the stone will be cleaner and whiter is going to important to you. And really... that’s what matters.

Life is full of surprises. The good and the bad. If money is not an issue and this will bring you enjoyment and clear up any mind (or eye) clean issues for you, do it. You may as well enjoy the things you love. So often things can be taken away from us unexpectedly, whether that is certainty about the future, health or someone/something important. I’m glad to hear that although things look scary and the road ahead is tough, that your prognosis is good.

I vote get it and enjoy it if the costs involved are easily managed! I know if I could, I would want an F over a G too as I can see the tint in a G.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get it! You deserve it.
I completely understand the VS1 and above mind cleanness. You might consider an E or D too since the center stone shows more tint than the sides.

I love your 3-stone ring btw.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Despite what I wrote above, I agree that the two H&A have their distinct character - certainly enough for change to make sense (I've been looking at step cuts for too long!)

@cflutist Nothing better than F/VS1 among ACA over three carats, no D nor E in any clarity; fate or WF are making this choice easy.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AV_ , @cflutist, @Crystal_Dreams, @Mcgregor, @bling_dream19, @carbonfan, @diamondseeker2006, @ringo865, @KristyDarling, @chamois, @Dancing Fire, @JPie, @lydial, @MissGotRocks, @yssie, @Slick1, @Diamondbug, @kayla17 and @marcy -

Thank you all for your thoughts and input. I'm still going back and forth on upgrading the center, mostly because I just want to get this right. I've got a few days to think about it, but will update this thread when I've made my decision.

Thank you again - you're all awesome!

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b and @ringo865,
I missed your posts. I wish both you the best possible outcomes and pray that everything goes as smoothly as possible! Hugs and Love!

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, @kayla17 :))

I'm also calling Brittany at WF today to ask about a custom cut. Watch this space.... :)

Exciting for you and a distraction. Please let us know what you decide to do. I wish you the very best in everything as you go forward

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Momentarily derailed by the 4.048ct H VS1 on the WF site. Decided it's too big and too tinted.

In talks with WF about a 3.5ct+ G VS stone, custom cut. Would be a nice size increase, would match my current sides, would not sacrifice too much color.

Looking hopeful - we'll see!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just off the phone with Brittany. And it looks like it's going to be a 3.5ct+ G VS1 custom cut. While I prefer an F, a G is fine, and I've made it clear i need a solid G - preferably a high G - not a low G. This will take a while, but will be some time in the next 2 months.

Very excited! :bigsmile:

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool, I am very excited for you to have the Queen of all 3-stone rings.
Hope your treatments go well.

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just off the phone with Brittany. And it looks like it's going to be a 3.5ct+ G VS1 custom cut. While I prefer an F, a G is fine, and I've made it clear i need a solid G - preferably a high G - not a low G. This will take a while, but will be some time in the next 2 months.

Very excited! :bigsmile:
That sounds like an amazing (amazbling!) choice, @mrs-b! Hooray!! And what an exciting development... I am super stoked for you!! (I have not yet been bold enough to try a custom cut, but I am considering doing one with HPD one of these days... ) However, for now I am thrilled to live vicariously through you! Please keep us posted on things, as I am sure that the outcome will be fabulous!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will be watching with baited eyes - lol! I hope it is everything you dream of mrs-b!

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Amazing!! Looking forward to seeing your upgrade!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b I am soooooo excited for you!! I hope this will be a wonderful and welcome distraction for you will the health challenges you're currently facing. I've been thinking about you a lot and hope for the absolute best for you!

@ringo865, thinking of you and sending you much love and strength!

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I hope your custom cut is everything you desire and much more! @mrs-b
Also thinking of you and sending you lots of luck and good healing vibes for the months ahead. Take care xx

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @yssie :wavey:

I'd keep my style of ring - which is what I meant by 'setting'. It will probably need to be remade. But I love the style and will definitely be keeping that.

I'm not sure if you read I received a cancer diagnosis a couple of weeks ago and am scheduled for surgery and a bunch of tests on July 9th. I am hoping for a favorable outcome, but I won't know what stage I am till about 2 weeks after the surgery when all the tests will have been performed on the tumor. In the meantime, I am developing a keen appreciation for living in the now, and waiting some unspecified amount of time for a piece of jewelry seems insane. I've also come to love my ring MORE over time, rather than less. This has NOT been my experience with previous rings, which have always grown less attractive in my eyes for one reason or another over time. but this one - nope. Still loving it.

It probably feels like I've been talking about a big, final upgrade for a few years now, but it's actually been about 9 months. I had thought my 4.01ct ACA would be the end of it - until I realized I was a stark white kinda girl, and that I'd have to go back to the colorless range. On the other hand - I do apologize if I've been endlessly banging on about my projects; I've kept a track on them in my head, but to other people it probably just feels like one ongoing confusing jumble. I assure you, tho, I do have an overall plan. For what it's worth, earrings and pendants are all done. Bracelets are almost finished except for a few custom made charms I'm working on. I have one bangle to go and a few rings. At the moment, tho, I'm just finishing up all the settings that go with the gems and/or diamonds I already have. Getting there, tho!

I hope all is well with you and that you're enjoying your summer! :))

ETA I totally agree with you about this move being neutral at worst. And there's always the chance I'll say - "Aaaaahhhh - this is it!" I really have gone back to this particular diamond with its perfect stats a thousand times! :kiss2:
@mrs-b - I’m sorry to hear about your cancer diagnosis. I only check pricescope sporadically so I’m sorry I missed this. Thoughts and prayers for you.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You custom cut project sounds so exciting! I am crossing fingers and toes that it goes exactly the way you want. That G will make a stunning center for a three stone.
I’m so sorry you’re dealing with cancer. I am hopeful that you will receive good news after the surgery and that you will be on your road to recovery in no time. I’m thinking about you. Bling upgrade seems like a great idea right now. :mrgreen2:

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b, I wish you the very most best-est of all outcomes--health-wise first and bling-wise, second.
:pray: :love: :pray:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I just don't know if I can do it. I don't know if I can leave the land of 'F' and go to the world of 'G'. I had a couple of bad G experiences, and if I do a custom cut, and it's not what I want, I'm kind of screwed.

To go to a 3.5+ct F VS1 would cost me roughly double the price of going to a 3.5+ct G VS1, so I've hung back and hung back. And spending 16k to go up .1mm seems - even to me - a little nutty.

Can I pls get a little feedback on what people think of this? @cflutist - you're a color sensitive type like me - what are your thoughts? And @MissGotRocks - you have a G. Your thoughts? @yssie? I know your tastes run to warmer stones, but you're a perfectionist like me, so your thoughts would be very appreciated. @diamondseeker2006? You understand the luxury of a F colored stone... And @carbonfan - you owned that 3.21ct F - yet didn't seem thrilled by it, so is your impression that I'd be better to wait? ALL impressions would be appreciated! If you have an opinion, pls feel 100% welcome to throw it into the mix!!

I currently have cancer-stress-brain. I could SO easily make a wrong decision on this. Would I be better off just to wait? Ugh. I cannot see the forest for the trees! HEEEELLLLLPPP!!

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think if your heart wants an F and you can afford it, then go for an F. Coldly analysing the price jump from a G to an an F does make it seem insane for one colour grade, but that price difference is there because of economic fact - both because colour does matter to a lot of people and because of the rarity of the higher colour stones. So if those pricing considerations are worth it to you, and from everything you’ve said it seems they are, then so be it! And to my mind it would be an ultimate luxury to have your idea of perfection on your hand every day; your pieces are always so considered that I *think* you’d regret not going for this goal.

I would be tempted to pause on the custom cut though. It’s tempting to want to make decisions at times of stress, to occupy yourself with thought processes about things that are controllable, to mitigate stress from things that are out of your control. I’m sure it would be a very welcome distraction, but a number of past threads have highlighted that it can also be an unpredictable and very stressful process. I’d be tempted to leave it in the hands of the gods and see if fate throws up a ready-cut option first. The custom cut possibility will still be there further down the line.

Thinking of you for your op.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@mrs-b Can you find a 3 carat-ish D to play with? - an extreme example might clarify how important colourlessness is. Possibly a cure of worry.

(digressing: a blatantly wrong diagnostic of cancer nearly killed me - just the news!; it is the closest I have come o being in your shoes & I will never ask for seconds...)

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b

It seems to me that you are hesitating a bit on a G-VS1 so I would hold out for a F-VS1. Yes it costs more, but high colors in larger sizes do that :mrgreen2:

This way, you will have your Holy Grail 3-stone ring. I have found in the past that I am usually sorry later when I compromise sooner.

I understand the mind cleanness of a colorless (DEF) 3-stone ring, and a G won't fit the bill. Good luck and hugs to you.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b, more than the color, the downside of a custom cut is that you can't dictate the table, crown and pavilion angles. You seemed to be set on a certain set of stats and that just won't be within your control.

As for G color, I have been very satisfied with that color. This is the third G color stone that I have had. I will say though that the higher crown seems to provide some shading but this in no way is about the color of the stone. It actually seems to do more with the scintillation of the stone and the sharper angles. From the side, against white paper, I see no yellow or visible tint. I have had an F color stone - years ago - and sometimes the lack of color almost worked against it. That's not to say I wouldn't own one - particularly a super ideal cut stone that was cut for light performance with great scintillation. Of course the larger the stone is the more apparent much is as well.

Having said all of that, I almost think you should wait and see how you feel in a week or so. Sometimes we get excited about possibilities and our hearts overrule our heads. I understand wanting to complete your forever ring and wanting to have a distraction/something to look forward to but I'd hate to see you settle. Once you get to that price point, trading up again is certainly possible but waiting for that right stone could be awhile in the making.

Just because you might not act upon your decision at this point does not mean that you can't dream and envision what you want your final ring to look like. Haste makes waste so if you aren't entirely sure, just stop and sleep on it for awhile. You may very well decide after much thought to pursue the custom cut. WF can alert you if a stone is in their pipeline that seems to meet your criteria. As much as I hate to slow your roll, I'd really hate for you not to end up completely happy and satisfied.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lissyflo, @AV_, @cflutist and @MissGotRocks -

Thank you, ladies. I hear you. And I think you're right. I really do love my F colored stone. It's a luxury and I love it. Were I to wait a year or two, I could always do the 3.5+ct F VS1 - or even larger, if I was set on that (tho larger seems unlikely, as I think I really have worked out my ideal 3 stone ratios at this point.)

On the other hand, there are some other projects I could just as easily pursue - without reservation - so possibly that might be a better way forward for me. A second diamond bangle leaps to mind, really, and if size is what I'm after, I already have a big cluster coming my way shortly which should scratch all sorts of itches!

What I think I'll do in the meantime is upgrade my sides - which will pretty much seal the deal for me on which way I go, color-wise. Once the sides are Fs, I know myself well enough to know I'm going to want to stay with an F center. And the sides are 1 x VS2 and 1 x SI1 in clarity, and it's been BUGGING me ever since I got them! At the very least, I'm going to want to go to VS1 on both sides; sometimes that single color grade disparity can lead to a better mach overall, so we'll see....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b Just now seeing this, and I see you have come to a decision to wait, which I think is good. F VS1 would probably be my ideal if money were no object. But realistically, I could not pay double for a one color jump in a 3.5 ct stone. I just wouldn't. I have had a couple of AGS G stones and they were white enough and met my budget at the time. So I am positive that I couldn't do F in stones over 3 cts. So that makes my own decision easy. When the cost is double and the budget is not limited, I guess it just depends on how you like to spend your money! But I wouldn't personally custom cut just due to the unknowns of how the specs would turn out and that's necessary for those of us who are OCD on specs!

In my AVR search years ago, Jon just never got in a 2+ ct stone above I color over the few years I was watching the stones (and there have only been a few total ever over 2 cts). I finally ordered an I color one and then a larger one, and that's the one I have had ever since. I keep it, because to me, it is the most beautifully cut round stone I have ever seen (thanks to @diagem). I color is okay to me in an antique style stone with larger facets, but if I could magically change one thing, it would be to bump color up a notch or two. It's totally white in natural lighting due to the great cut. But the tint is accentuated in certain environments such in the car with tinted windows, and so I have to live with that. With ideal cut modern rounds, they are so much more plentiful that it is much easier to upgrade, other than when you get into large sizes and high colors, which you are finding. I'd honestly just tell WF to be on the lookout for a larger F and see if it's meant to be. Or order a large G just to look at and compare to what you have. I think that would be my first step.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @diamondseeker2006 :wavey:

Just in case I wasn't clear, I wanted to clarify. When I say it would be double, I mean the increase would be double - not the overall price. To go up to a 3.5G VS1 would be around an extra 20k. To go to a 3.5 F VS1 would be roughly an extra 40k. As you say, tho, it's a bunch for one color grade.

And sometimes I just think the whole thing is a huge indulgence and that I shouldn't do anything at all. I love my ring as is. I mean - it's a stunner, in my opinion. I get comments on it ALL the time, and I absolutely love it and enjoy it as it is. So maybe changing it at all is a crazy thing to do.

The internal mental grinding of wheels continues....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results