shape
carat
color
clarity

Thinking about an upgrade. Thoughts on this stone?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So this is the current diamond in my 3 stone:

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3872126.htm

I also have 1.25 ctw in sides.

I always thought I'd upgrade to a big solitaire. But as time has gone by, the more and more I fall in love with my 3 stone. You can never say never, but I think this really is my forever ring. I've had it for 9 months now, and compared to it, solitaires just look boring to me once they're on my hand. While not being a fan of a lot of bells and whistles, I like a little more than just a plain soli.

So, let's agree, a three stone is me.

But if that's my future, I want it to be as beautiful as possible. My current ACA 3.05 F VS2 is stunning, but ideally, I'd like it to be a smidge - no more than that, just a smidge! - larger. So for months, I've been eyeballing *this* stone, while at the same time telling myself "naaaah - you always said you'd get the big soli - so this one can't possibly be for you!"

But the sheer class of this diamond is irresistible. It's a tiny bit larger, it's white, it's cleaner (and that's important to me as ideally I wanted better than a VS2), and it has the EXACT stats I love - moreso than my current 3.05ct. So I'm thinking....this is it. Also, if I'm going to stay with a 3 stone, there's only so large I can go! So this might be my maximum anyway.

To that end, you'll notice it now says 'reserved'. :mrgreen: I'm giving it some thought over the weekend, and next week will either pull the trigger, or release it back into the wild.

Along with that, I intend to upgrade my sides from G SI1 up to F VS1, so the stats on all three stones will match. The setting (which I think is perfect) will remain the same.

If anyone has any thoughts on this - please! - speak up now!

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3755577.htm

@MissGotRocks - I'm linking you to this specifically, as we chatted about this plan on another thread.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Any difference between this and your stone is too slight to be obvious on my side of the screen. Then, I tend to be drawn to three stone rings with relatively large side stones, so my instincts are wrong for this very delightful question...

What a stone! - TWICE =)2

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting!! I'm glad you're also upgrading the side stones because side stones somehow tend to show more color. This ring is going to be stupendous!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yass.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally vote go for it. It will be amazing!!!! I can’t wait to see it.

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How exciting, @mrs-b! I totally get the "mind clean" appeal of VS1, and if this stone checks off all of your boxes, I'd say go for it! As a random side note, I know a little bit about this stone and it truly is a beauty... I would LOVE to see you get it! In any case, please keep us posted on what you decide!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phooey. The link won’t pull up for me on the diamond you are considering. Can I have the carat weight so I can find it? Thank you.

L

lydial

So... when I was speculating about upgrading my CBI before it even came I came here to see what you guys thought. EVERYONE said to do it, because better is better right? ... everyone except one or two people who said the change in look may not be worth the expense. And to think about what that money could be used for instead.

At the time my upgrade was a total indulgence, and I had not yet seen my ring, but I had the opportunity to wait for a "future" stone that was 1 color level better, 1 clarity level worse, and 0.06 ct larger) - for 3k ish. So it was a different scenario than yours. You have your ring, that is already a beautiful ring but maybe is not your ultimate ideal.

The 1 or 2 people in opposition to the "upgrade" influenced my decision to stay with my stone and just love it, which I do.

So, I figure I will put it out there - will the upgrade be worth the expense to YOU? This I suppose depends on your financial situation, other financial goals, how badly you want the perfect diamond, etc. Is this change worth your money to YOU? That is your question to answer :)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So as much as I love a beautiful solitaire, they just never seem to look right on me anymore either. Maybe it is just because I am so used to the three stone but I so understand the 'plain' feeling you get. I also think a three stone looks more like an engagement ring if there is enough variation in the size of the center vs. the side stones. All this to say, I totally hear you on the beauty of them in general and yours in particular.

So this was honestly the stone I thought you were referring to in the previous thread - another 16 points - and this would have hit it! I never thought about the side stones - lol! Should have known you would have planned it right on down the wire though - ha!

Tell me why the stats interest you more than what you have - I love all the nitty gritty details and I do believe there are slight variations in looks of different specs.

If this diamond checks all the boxes for you, then by all means just do it. You never know where diamond prices will be later on and then finding the ideal stone with the perfect specs is not always easy to do. My only thought is to have WF photograph the new diamond next to your current one (even though it is set) to make perfectly sure that it makes your heart sing.

Exciting stuff mrs-b - I can feel the wheels churning across the wires. Please keep us posted on your thoughts!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So - to answer some questions....

I was originally planning a BIG upgrade - something in the 'extra 90-100k' category - and that's on top of my current stone. But if I do this diamond, I'll keep this setting and style because I'm rapidly losing interest in the super-big soli option. If I keep this ring, I'll never go for the whopping center stone, as it simply won't fit on my finger along with the sides. The result if I do this, and if I keep this setting, is that I'll probably come out around 70k ahead. In other words, this IS the bargain option for me and the money is not a problem.

Even if I were to go up again in size at some point, 3.5ct is about the largest I could go. Going larger than that causes the side stones either to be dangling in the air a mile above your finger if you want to keep them level with your center stone, or they disappear under the center stone if you want to set the sides lower. At my current proportions, 3.5 really is about the largest center I could handle and keep the relation between the center and sides attractive. At 3.21ct, I'm close enough to that to possibly cause me to stop at this point. If something in the F VS1 3.5ct range ever comes up, I might jump on it then, but if it doesn't, I'll be fine with this 3.21ct.

Keep in mind, I had the 5+ct stone - and found it too big. I had the 4ct stone in a halo, and genuinely disliked it on my hand. But THIS ring, THIS style, curves around my finger and hugs it as if it's really meant to be there. So the style is right and the setting is perfect for me.

Honestly, it's the VS2 that bothers me the most - not the size or the money. I *can* see the inclusions - especially in blown up photos - and I don't like it. I *will* be able to see an oh-so-slight increase in size, and I think that will change the ratio ever-so-slightly in a way that pleases my eye, but it's mainly the rarity of clarity in a diamond this size that I'm looking for.

Will most people see the difference? Nope. And if I chose my jewelry for the approval for others, I would probably care. But I don't - and I don't. I want something I find extraordinarily beautiful. And maybe this is it.

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting, @mrs-b! I totally get the "mind clean" appeal of VS1, and if this stone checks off all of your boxes, I'd say go for it! As a random side note, I know a little bit about this stone and it truly is a beauty... I would LOVE to see you get it! In any case, please keep us posted on what you decide!

<head swings round immediately to carbonfan>

You DO? Spill everything, pls, @carbonfan!!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phooey. The link won’t pull up for me on the diamond you are considering. Can I have the carat weight so I can find it? Thank you.

Marcy, it doesn't show up on inventory anymore, so stats won't help you. I can tell you, tho, that it's 3.218ct. Try the link again? It *should* work.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You'll definitely be able to keep your current setting?

In my experience slight size changes are more noticeable when you've got sidestones (that you're keeping constant - or, at least, constant in size) because they're right there for comparison.

But it really is just a smidge bigger. The primary gain is definitely the bump in clarity.

You’ve been talking about this Big Final Stone To End All Stones for several years now… But I certainly understand that sometimes the things that we dream about aren’t really the things our real world selves want. Even if our realities can afford those things!

I don't see how this can be a bad choice. At worst it's neutral. And I don't say that just to enable you :lol: Compared to what you've already spent it isn't a ton out-of-pocket, you'll be able to reuse your setting, you'll bump clarity up to mind-clean, and you'll have all the time you want to figure out if you do in fact want Big Final Stone To End All Stones sometime down the road...

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Edit - I'd have them retake that hearts photo - at $90k I want photographic perfection as well as practical perfection :mrgreen2:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely not an expert but thought I’d weigh in nonetheless as I so admire your bling and can appreciate the love you have for this three stone. It’s so nice to find the ring that sings to you! Kudos for that alone!:clap:
So about the stone, money aside, it’s a tad larger, a bit cleaner. What stood out to me was the lower pavilion % at 76 rather than yours at 78. Will the larger arrows complement your sides? Will the larger arrows not be to your liking since you love your current diamond’s performance? Just thinking out loud dreaming over having this choice! =)2

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
<head swings round immediately to carbonfan>

You DO? Spill everything, pls, @carbonfan!!
You have received a lot of amazing advice here, and it sounds like you are crystal clear on what you want, so all of that is fantastic! And I certainly understand the penchant for "tweaking" as I am wired much the same way. Would it be helpful to just order the stone and try it on next to your current three stone to see if it makes your heart sing (rather than sending your ring to WF and having them make a video, which would also be helpful... but if you have the stone in hand you would be able to inspect it in different lighting environments, etc.). I actually owned this stone and wore it as a solitaire for a year and a half (here is the link to that thread in case you would like to see more photos of this lovely stone!). Objectively the stone was beautiful, but it just didn't move me as much as it needed to for the price point. I will say that I have seen cleaner VS1 plots than this particular stone has, but it is obviously still amazingly eye clean, so no worries there! I am not sure why it didn't make my heart sing, as it was a gorgeous stone and it checked all of my "colorless" and "mind clean" boxes; I just didn't feel like it was the right stone for me (possibly because it is the right stone for someone else! :))). I have since caught the vintage cut bug and the CBI bug and those preferences have solidly taken over for the moment. I have felt infinitely much more content with my recent choices than I did with my previous ones, so that is a good thing, and significant progress, I think!
In any case, please keep us posted on what you decide... I am excited for you! :appl:

Reactions: AV_

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So as much as I love a beautiful solitaire, they just never seem to look right on me anymore either. Maybe it is just because I am so used to the three stone but I so understand the 'plain' feeling you get. I also think a three stone looks more like an engagement ring if there is enough variation in the size of the center vs. the side stones. All this to say, I totally hear you on the beauty of them in general and yours in particular.

So this was honestly the stone I thought you were referring to in the previous thread - another 16 points - and this would have hit it! I never thought about the side stones - lol! Should have known you would have planned it right on down the wire though - ha!

Tell me why the stats interest you more than what you have - I love all the nitty gritty details and I do believe there are slight variations in looks of different specs.

If this diamond checks all the boxes for you, then by all means just do it. You never know where diamond prices will be later on and then finding the ideal stone with the perfect specs is not always easy to do. My only thought is to have WF photograph the new diamond next to your current one (even though it is set) to make perfectly sure that it makes your heart sing.

Exciting stuff mrs-b - I can feel the wheels churning across the wires. Please keep us posted on your thoughts!

Hi @MissGotRocks :wavey:

I feel as tho you and I have consistently held the line of 'three stones as engagement rings'! And I utterly agree with you - larger center, smaller sides = engagement ring look!

As for differences between my current stone and the new one I'd like;

Firstly, my current table is 57.2. The 3.218 is 55.8. That alone is enough to thrill my heart!!
Secondly - the depth of my current stone is 61%. The new diamond is 61.9. I prefer a tad more depth - I feel as tho it cuts the degree of obstruction.
Thirdly, the lower girdle % on my current stone is 78. On the new one, it's 76, giving it a somewhat chunkier appearance - especially paired with the smaller table!
My current crown % is 14.6. The new stone is 15.4.

Add all these things together, and it puts the 3.218 streets ahead of my current stone! In fact, it's basically the PERFECT combination of stats for me, personally! It's EXACTLY what I like - and there's a lot of range in truly great daimonds, so getting one with exactly what you want - even after you narrow your search to super-ideal cuts - is very unusual!

And then, of course, there's the VS1.... :kiss2:

I can see differences in diamond sizes down to .1mm, so .15mm will be totally apparent to me. Not enough to make it look substantially bigger, but just enough to make a tiny impact of the ratio between center and side stones. In other words, this diamond is my dream diamond when it comes to stats. It's true, I would probably have preferred something in the 3.5ct range, but we're talking a tiny amount of size here, and I doubt I'll care once I have this beauty on my finger!!

The only thing I'm wondering is if this is worth doing now, knowing I might go up a little more at a later point, or whether I should just wait, and go up to 3.5 later in the future. Not sure - and that's the decision I need to make.

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
The only thing I'm wondering is if this is worth doing now, knowing I might go up a little more at a later point, or whether I should just wait, and go up to 3.5 later in the future. Not sure - and that's the decision I need to make.
Since you are reusing your setting and whatever $$$ you put into this stone will roll over to the next one, I say this is a win win situation!! Go for it!:kiss2:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You'll definitely be able to keep your current setting?

In my experience slight size changes are more noticeable when you've got sidestones (that you're keeping constant - or, at least, constant in size) because they're right there for comparison.

But it really is just a smidge bigger. The primary gain is definitely the bump in clarity.

You’ve been talking about this Big Final Stone To End All Stones for several years now… But I certainly understand that sometimes the things that we dream about aren’t really the things our real world selves want. Even if our realities can afford those things!

I don't see how this can be a bad choice. At worst it's neutral. And I don't say that just to enable you :lol: Compared to what you've already spent it isn't a ton out-of-pocket, you'll be able to reuse your setting, you'll bump clarity up to mind-clean, and you'll have all the time you want to figure out if you do in fact want Big Final Stone To End All Stones sometime down the road...

Hi @yssie :wavey:

I'd keep my style of ring - which is what I meant by 'setting'. It will probably need to be remade. But I love the style and will definitely be keeping that.

I'm not sure if you read I received a cancer diagnosis a couple of weeks ago and am scheduled for surgery and a bunch of tests on July 9th. I am hoping for a favorable outcome, but I won't know what stage I am till about 2 weeks after the surgery when all the tests will have been performed on the tumor. In the meantime, I am developing a keen appreciation for living in the now, and waiting some unspecified amount of time for a piece of jewelry seems insane. I've also come to love my ring MORE over time, rather than less. This has NOT been my experience with previous rings, which have always grown less attractive in my eyes for one reason or another over time. but this one - nope. Still loving it.

It probably feels like I've been talking about a big, final upgrade for a few years now, but it's actually been about 9 months. I had thought my 4.01ct ACA would be the end of it - until I realized I was a stark white kinda girl, and that I'd have to go back to the colorless range. On the other hand - I do apologize if I've been endlessly banging on about my projects; I've kept a track on them in my head, but to other people it probably just feels like one ongoing confusing jumble. I assure you, tho, I do have an overall plan. For what it's worth, earrings and pendants are all done. Bracelets are almost finished except for a few custom made charms I'm working on. I have one bangle to go and a few rings. At the moment, tho, I'm just finishing up all the settings that go with the gems and/or diamonds I already have. Getting there, tho!

I hope all is well with you and that you're enjoying your summer! :))

ETA I totally agree with you about this move being neutral at worst. And there's always the chance I'll say - "Aaaaahhhh - this is it!" I really have gone back to this particular diamond with its perfect stats a thousand times! :kiss2:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have received a lot of amazing advice here, and it sounds like you are crystal clear on what you want, so all of that is fantastic! And I certainly understand the penchant for "tweaking" as I am wired much the same way. Would it be helpful to just order the stone and try it on next to your current three stone to see if it makes your heart sing (rather than sending your ring to WF and having them make a video, which would also be helpful... but if you have the stone in hand you would be able to inspect it in different lighting environments, etc.). I actually owned this stone and wore it as a solitaire for a year and a half (here is the link to that thread in case you would like to see more photos of this lovely stone!). Objectively the stone was beautiful, but it just didn't move me as much as it needed to for the price point. I will say that I have seen cleaner VS1 plots than this particular stone has, but it is obviously still amazingly eye clean, so no worries there! I am not sure why it didn't make my heart sing, as it was a gorgeous stone and it checked all of my "colorless" and "mind clean" boxes; I just didn't feel like it was the right stone for me (possibly because it is the right stone for someone else! :))). I have since caught the vintage cut bug and the CBI bug and those preferences have solidly taken over for the moment. I have felt infinitely much more content with my recent choices than I did with my previous ones, so that is a good thing, and significant progress, I think!
In any case, please keep us posted on what you decide... I am excited for you! :appl:

Oooooh, @carbonfan - then you are my girl on this project!

Can you pls tell me if this was adequately white to your eye?

As for it not making your heart sing - I suspect it wouldn't make my heart sing either, were it a solitaire. That is perhaps because it was made to go into a three stone! And I can definitely help it out in that regard!

And I would love having a stone previously worn by a PSer I like and admire!

One question, tho - if you switched to OECs and CBIs - how did this diamond find its way back to WF?

I love the stats on this stone - for me, they're far closer to perfect than my current stone, so at the very least, I'm making a solid step forward. I'll like that. :))

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @MissGotRocks :wavey:

I feel as tho you and I have consistently held the line of 'three stones as engagement rings'! And I utterly agree with you - larger center, smaller sides = engagement ring look!

As for differences between my current stone and the new one I'd like;

Firstly, my current table is 57.2. The 3.218 is 55.8. That alone is enough to thrill my heart!!
Secondly - the depth of my current stone is 61%. The new diamond is 61.9. I prefer a tad more depth - I feel as tho it cuts the degree of obstruction.
Thirdly, the lower girdle % on my current stone is 78. On the new one, it's 76, giving it a somewhat chunkier appearance - especially paired with the smaller table!
My current crown % is 14.6. The new stone is 15.4.

Add all these things together, and it puts the 3.218 streets ahead of my current stone! In fact, it's basically the PERFECT combination of stats for me, personally! It's EXACTLY what I like - and there's a lot of range in truly great daimonds, so getting one with exactly what you want - even after you narrow your search to super-ideal cuts - is very unusual!

And then, of course, there's the VS1.... :kiss2:

I can see differences in diamond sizes down to .1mm, so .15mm will be totally apparent to me. Not enough to make it look substantially bigger, but just enough to make a tiny impact of the ratio between center and side stones. In other words, this diamond is my dream diamond when it comes to stats. It's true, I would probably have preferred something in the 3.5ct range, but we're talking a tiny amount of size here, and I doubt I'll care once I have this beauty on my finger!!

It is very similar in specs to my current stone so I wondered about your preferences. The smaller table, higher crown certainly is pleasing in terms of the architecture of the stone. The higher crown is definitely noticeable from the side which is pleasing to me. On the other hand, I feel like you lose some of the white brilliance (I'm not talking color of the stone) with these specs. It is not so much of a round disc of a diamond but has sharper angles producing a different look. Just a different flavor but you've had lots of stones so I'm sure you've seen some of what I'm talking about.

I think when considering a three stone, it's the total look of the three stones together that counts as opposed to being focused on the center stone size. Spanning the entire finger is the plus - anything that goes beyond is sort of uncomfortable and unwieldly if you know what I mean. Having it curve around your finger rather than sitting on top of it gives it such a pleasing aesthetic in my opinion. However, if you really think you would want to reach the 3.5 carat size at some point in the future, then I don't know that I'd go to the trouble or expense of having yet another setting made now. That's a hard call.

Anyhoo, you've figured out your journey thus far and I've no doubt you will make the best decision for yourself. It's always fun to think about a do over of something that you love with the idea of making it even grander!

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand you. I love a VS1 diamond. There is currently a 3.22 I VS2 right now on WF but I can’t bring myself to get it bc even though I would be going up in size, the lower clarity is throwing me off.
Have you looked at the clarity plot on the new diamond and the video. The clarity plot has a lot of stuff going on. I would just make sure that it doesn’t bother you before you upgrade.
Otherwise I would get it if it’s what you really want, you only live once!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi yssie :wavey:

I’m not sure if you read I received a cancer diagnosis a couple of weeks ago and am scheduled for surgery and a bunch of tests on July 9th. I am hoping for a favorable outcome, but I won't know what stage I am till about 2 weeks after the surgery when all the tests will have been performed on the tumor. In the meantime, I am developing a keen appreciation for living in the now, and waiting some unspecified amount of time for a piece of jewelry seems insane.

@mrs-b I was just diagnosed myself in January of this year. I wish you good luck with your surgery and diagnosis. An upgrade or bling project is a happy distraction. You’re not alone in either camp :whistle:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b I was just diagnosed myself in January of this year. I wish you good luck with your surgery and diagnosis. An upgrade or bling project is a happy distraction. You’re not alone in either camp :whistle:

How are you now, @ringo865? So many people in this country go through cancer, but when it happens to you...it's like you're the only person. My thoughts are with you and I pray for a successful treatment and resolution for you!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How are you now, @ringo865? So many people in this country go through cancer, but when it happens to you...it's like you're the only person. My thoughts are with you and I pray for a successful treatment and resolution for you!

mrs-b and ringo - I did not know about these situations. I can only imagine the emotions that go with this but please know that I wish you both the best of everything in terms of treatments and outcome. Big sparkly diamond hugs to both of you!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marcy, it doesn't show up on inventory anymore, so stats won't help you. I can tell you, tho, that it's 3.218ct. Try the link again? It *should* work.

Thanks. It worked. I wonder if the firewall at work blocked it. Anyway it’s a gorgeous diamond.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness. @mrs-b I am so, so very sorry to read this love :(sad

Please drop me a note to let me know how you are doing!!

There is no chance whatsoever of boring us with your projects - at fruition, in-progress, twinkles in the eye - they're never trifling!

Living in the now.
Well, I can certainly understand that.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh @mrs-b, I have been so busy and not on here enough to see that you did get this diagnosis. The last I read it was just a possibility. I am so sorry and I really will be praying for good news after your surgery July 9th!

Being that bling is a good distraction, I will go on to say that this new stone has specs I love, as well! I am a VS1 girl, too, and wow, F would be my dream color, especially in a modern round! I'd go for it! I think it will be a nice size for a 3 stone ring and you may not even feel like you ever want to upgrade. I really like the large center with smaller sides like you and @MissGotRocks have. I debate about doing that myself, but I need to find a simulant in the same size as my current diamond to try out! Otherwise I plan to do a setting with some detail on the sides even if it isn't a true 3 stone. I look forward to seeing what you decide!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results