shape
carat
color
clarity

Thinking 4th reset OER. "Good cut" & bezel design opinion

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Hello,
Today I put on my OER for the first time since I bought my new diamond. Holy high feeling! I'm a lefty! Thrilled with the lowset of my new trellis!!
I JUST don't see myself really ever wearing my OER due to the height of the setting. I have had this setting for two years now (3rd reset). Specifically chose setting without any side diamonds. 14k white. Only cost me $1200. I'm over it.

I am thinking I would wear a nice lowset bezel vs.the medium height of the current setting. Now, this is where I need your help. My OER is a 1.1, I, VS1. No clue on the cut bc the GIA is older. Diamond has a spread (shallow) so I may guess "good cut"? I can provide measurement, but there are not many on the GIA.

I read bezels do not work well with poorer cuts (specifically shallow) bc light needs to enter from the side to help it perform better. Something like that. I wouldn't want to dwarf the diamond either....
Wow....
I never realized how much my OER didn't sparkle! I told my hubby I can't believe my OER and new stone are both diamonds (not sure he liked that comment, oops).

Thoughts on a bezel? Thank you!!

20160306_112016-2-1-1.jpg

20160306_111545-1.jpg

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Re: Thinking 4th reset OER. "Good cut" & bezel design opinio

I'm not sure what you mean by "OER" but it looks like a MRB to me. I would send it to Brian Gavin and have it recut and set it in a bezel if that's what you want. I have an old ring from my mother that is a terrible cut in a bezel and it is completely lifeless. Not necessarily the bezel's fault but I'm sure it doesn't help.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Hi Liaerfbv

OER...origional engagement ring....

Thought about a recut, but frankly didn't want to spend the money and I would need a new GIA. I won't wear this too often. Especially in this setting. I'm also not sure how small it will end up being after the cut.

Yah, I could see it having zero life. It's like 20-30% life now. :o

Thank you for your input

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I, too, had no idea what OER was, haha.

sassy_pants

Rough_Rock

In the interest of full disclosure, I love a good bezel! So it's not so surprising that I vote to try a bezel. Like you said, you will never wear it how it is, and although it is prong set, the current design looks like it probably blocks a good amount of light from getting to the pavilion side of the stone anyway. So maybe not much of a difference going to a bezel?

I'm attaching two photos of possible suggestions. The first is a James Allen setting, it's a really low set bezel. I almost chose this for my reset, but for me it was a little too low set. It does have some pave in the crown, but I'd still consider it a solitaire without side stones. I tried it on with a sapphire center and have photos if you are interested in seeing it in a hand.

The second is a PSer's ring. I saved it to my file of photos for ideas, but I can't remember who posted it. It's not a bezel, but it has an interesting basket that almost gives the stone and under bezel look. Just ideas!

_36609.jpg

_36610.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Put it in a pendant. If it doesn't sparkle like your current ring you won't like wearing the two together, seeing them both. Put it in a pendant, wear it in your neck where people will lsee the size and you won't be bothered by the performance

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Sassy pants (cute name) nice suggestions for the bezel. First is very stunning. Part of me figures my o e-ring can't sparkle much less. Why not a bezel? Other part of me is like "don't make it worse" lol.

I may have made up OER. Husband was driving and I was getting car sick typing. Shortcut.

Niel, I never would have entertained a pendant (suggested before by others) until I saw Binky5450's post today sharing her new stunning design. The pendant (and chain) turned my head! Wowzers! ❤

Yah, IDK. Need to think about this more. I was offered $2,500 trade in/sale at two places earlier. Wasn't worth selling. I just hate to see it just sit and collect dust.

Thank you. I need to sit on this more. :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

cinnamonstick|1457321694|4000831 said:
Sassy pants (cute name) nice suggestions for the bezel. First is very stunning. Part of me figures my o e-ring can't sparkle much less. Why not a bezel? Other part of me is like "don't make it worse" lol.

I may have made up OER. Husband was driving and I was getting car sick typing. Shortcut.

Niel, I never would have entertained a pendant (suggested before by others) until I saw Binky5450's post today sharing her new stunning design. The pendant (and chain) turned my head! Wowzers! ❤

Yah, IDK. Need to think about this more. I was offered $2,500 trade in/sale at two places earlier. Wasn't worth selling. I just hate to see it just sit and collect dust.

Thank you. I need to sit on this more. :)

Put your diamond in a halo in a pendant, it would have a lot of wow factor , for not too much $$, and something you'll actually wear. Do you know the mm size of it? I bet you could find a stuller pendant, put it in 10k gold and you've got something reasonably priced

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

A 1.1 ct I VS1 is too valuable to sell for $2500. I'd maybe invest in the recut and end up with a slightly smaller but better cut stone. Then I would set it in a pendant. Many options there...bezel, halo, etc. For what it's worth, I had a poorly cut 1 ct family diamond recut to .80, so you have a chance yours could be .9+. It makes a world of difference and you end up with a stone you can be proud of and is worth resetting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results