shape
carat
color
clarity

Things that go missing without trace at home...

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We all have them - or at least we used to have...

What has disappeared mysteriously and without a trace at your house?

Right now I am being driven insane by the fact that my 'good CDs' storage box, which I swear I brought into where I am now, is just not anywhere to be found - and it's got all the CDs that are expensive and/or No Longer Available, and of which I don't have electronic backups.... :mad: :(

There must have been over 100 CDs in there and music is very important to me, but the box is not in the cupboards, I've not put the CDs on the shelves, I could not find the box when turning out my (stacked to the ceiling) storage facility room...

Universe, if you are listening, please let me know where they are!!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A danburite that I hid somewhere in the house before we went on a trip (didn't make time to go to safety deposit box) and I can't remember where I hid it. I've looked in all the usual places. And those pesky sock or footie pairs that go in the laundry and only one returns.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
It sounds like you moved recently, a process that lends itself to misplacing things. Sometime after you stop looking you'll bark your shins on the box.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I'm missing 3 GIA reports. I had them before Sheltering in place started back in March, and I remember putting them "somewhere safe". GONE. Cannot find them anywhere, and I know I didn't go anywhere because I haven't gone anywhere!

Yelena

Shiny_Rock
Small objects frequently go missing in my house due to my playful cats. I usually find them later under the fridge or other furniture or even in the cats’ water bowl. The dishwasher is a bit of problem though because there are small things under there and I can’t get to them. Other things go missing as well. The sorts of things that make great props in games for six year olds and well, that could be anything.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I rarely lose things, in fact I have a knack for finding things that are lost and no one would expect to find again.
Except for Shaeffer Grapes and Ivy sterling silver pens.
Two of them.
They are a vintage item, a teacher at school had one many many years ago and I coveted it.
Finally I bought a pre loved one. Perfect, except I lost it, more like I had it “permanently borrowed”. I was checking jewellery items in a cabinet at an auction and I put it down on the glass top, forgot about it momentarily took a few steps away, remembered and returned but it was gone. I asked but no one had seen it and no one handed it in.
Sad.
A few years ago I found and bought another. I reserved it for special occasions and kept it in one of my jewellery boxes and ....
Now I can’t find it.
I have gone through all my handbags (and I have a lot of handbags) all the drawers in the house, everywhere it might be, even everywhere where it shouldn’t be.
Zip.
Still looking for it and deciding whether third time might be a charm.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A WG bracelet with Russian stones (? lab/MMD) that I bought when I was on holiday in Athens with my late partner.

Can't find it anywhere.

It does not worth a lot, just sentimental, that's all.

Hey ho!

DK :confused2:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@OoohShiny I torture myself when I can’t find something in the house. I look and look relentlessly. What I find sometimes works is if I stop looking and move on with my day. I think the brain is still working on it and it usually reveals itself to me unbidden later on. Works for names and songs too! Good luck!

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Important paperwork, like super important and just about irreplaceable. And even more difficult with COVID....sigh.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Our tv remote has died
Can't find the booklet to tell us the model number so we can get a new one
we always keep our booklets but for some reason in the shift they may have got packed into a diffetent box - but the telly went back into its actual box that the other half had kept in the ceiling of the garage - and we threw that box out finally last year
The tv won't work without the remote and its stuck on the tv1 and i hate tv1 news
And i can't watch Bruce on the blue ray because i can't change the channel on the tv

Rons Wolfe

Shiny_Rock
I can lose things for days, weeks or months in an instant. I'll put something down, reach for it and it's gone. I like to attribute it to getting old, but I've always had this 'skill'.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our tv remote has died
we always keep our booklets but for some reason in the shift they may have got packed into a diffetent box - but the telly went back into its actual box that the other half had kept in the ceiling of the garage - and we threw that box out finally last year
The tv won't work without the remote and its stuck on the tv1 and i hate tv1 news
And i can't watch Bruce on the blue ray because i can't change the channel on the tv

One of our remotes has the model number printed on the back of it. There is also information inside the battery compartment.

Failing this, and assuming the brand of the remote is stated on it (as it is on ours), try googling images of that brand of remote. Lots of images will come up. Find one that looks like your remote and click on it, see if it tells you the model number. You can do the same with eBay or Amazon-- do a search for that brand TV remote and see if you can find a listing for one that looks like yours.

Our tv remote has died

You can google it and figure it out, Daisy! I’m awful at keeping manuals and usually end up having to look for them on the internet. Your TV should have the model number and company on it somewhere and then googling the TV will help you figure it out!

edit: kept reading and saw that pearlsngems beat me to it, haha.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
One of our remotes has the model number printed on the back of it. There is also information inside the battery compartment.

Failing this, and assuming the brand of the remote is stated on it (as it is on ours), try googling images of that brand of remote. Lots of images will come up. Find one that looks like your remote and click on it, see if it tells you the model number. You can do the same with eBay or Amazon-- do a search for that brand TV remote and see if you can find a listing for one that looks like yours.

You can google it and figure it out, Daisy! I’m awful at keeping manuals and usually end up having to look for them on the internet. Your TV should have the model number and company on it somewhere and then googling the TV will help you figure it out!

edit: kept reading and saw that pearlsngems beat me to it, haha.

Thank you both
ill look inside the battry dept
our tv is a um er cheaper tv
see NZ got rid of analogue transmission a few years ago we had a newish sony tv with lovelly sound for Bruce so we just brought this box that made it take digital transmission. I wish we had kept it, but we didn't have room at our old place
then my mum got real real real sick - right on xmas - my sister desided mum/ the trust would give us a nice xmas present and the big box relalier was selling 48 inch for a really great price
its a weird brand - in saying that there is nothing wrong with it (eccept its a little small in this place)
One of the drawbacks of buying it was you couldn't get spair remotes from the retailer
in saying that we have seen them on the internet ....if we can work what the model is
the sticker at the back had sweet f all useful info on it unfortunatly - of course it wouldn't be that easy

but i shell look inside the remote
Thank you

HollyJane

Shiny_Rock
I've always been careful with my jewelry, but somehow a bracelet a friend gave me years ago for my birthday disappeared. It bothers me particularly because my friend is dead now, and he had ordered the bracelet special for me.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chapsticks!
I swear - the things have legs.

Every so often one of the cats will find some new hidey hole to fall asleep in and the ensuing several-hour search will give me a few more greys.
Mina detested strangers for years after we brought her home... The first time my parents came to visit, she disappeared. I was terrified she'd somehow escaped, or gotten stuck in insulation in the then-unfinished basement... I was ready to start taking drywall out when my other half yelled from upstairs - she was curled up in my sock drawer. White fur ALL over my black socks, navy tights... And she yawned at me, and stretched out. Talk about indecent - I'm having a panic attack and the cat doesn't even have the courtesy to look guilty :eek-2::nono:

Last edited:

Yelena

Shiny_Rock
Our tv remote has died

Is the model number not written on the plate with the serial number on the back of the TV? You should then be able to Google the manual. Not being able to watch Bruce on the BluRay is pretty rough. Life is tough enough without you having to go through that as well!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is the model number not written on the plate with the serial number on the back of the TV? You should then be able to Google the manual. Not being able to watch Bruce on the BluRay is pretty rough. Life is tough enough without you having to go through that as well!

Yip - you got it :mrgreen2: (unintentional use of a Bruce song title there);)2
Nothing inside the remote
if nobody minds ill post a picture of that plate on the bacl of the tv - its too dark tonight (this house has terrible 1950s lighting)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is more personal and heavy than I’d like to be on this forum, but maybe if I put this out to the universe they’ll come back to me. I lost a handful of extremely sentimental and irreplaceable photographs. I thought I set them on my husband’s desk for him to look through but they’ve disappeared. It was over a year ago and I’ve turned the whole room over, literally removing every single item from the room and sorting through it. I’ve searched the rest of the house top to bottom. I still find myself holding my breath and saying a prayer as I open a rarely used cupboard or drawer — they’d never be in these places but I just keep holding out hope they’re here somewhere.
try looking in the bookcase between the books.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have yet to find earrings I bought for my two youngest nieces. I bought them a year or two ago (time is flying) and it was about 6 pairs of earrings. I saw them and thought oh they would love them. The youngest doesn't have her ears pierced yet but very soon and the older girl has had her ears pierced for about two years now.

I am bummed because the earrings just disappeared. I put them somewhere for safe keeping. In fact I thought I put them in the safe but no. And then I thought I gave them to Greg but he could not find them either. And now we aren't in Brooklyn so there's no chance of finding them since we aren't going back for a long time probably. By the time I find them (if I find them) they will probably be too young a style for the girls. Oh well.

I misplace things all the time but at the moment that is all I can remember. When I cannot find things I end up ordering them again. With small items it's not a big deal but with larger priced items it's costly.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chapsticks!
I swear - the things have legs.

Every so often one of the cats will find some new hidey hole to fall asleep in and the ensuing several-hour search will give me a few more greys.
Mina detested strangers for years after we brought her home... The first time my parents came to visit, she disappeared. I was terrified she'd somehow escaped, or gotten stuck in insulation in the then-unfinished basement... I was ready to start taking drywall out when my other half yelled from upstairs - she was curled up in my sock drawer. White fur ALL over my black socks, navy tights... And she yawned at me, and stretched out. Talk about indecent - I'm having a panic attack and the cat doesn't even have the courtesy to look guilty :eek-2::nono:

Yes, sometimes the cats disappear seemingly without a trace. I can share stories of Tommy vanishing only to be found by Greg in his man room between the drawers of his big tool chest. LOL I don't know how he gets in there but he does. :lol:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's something new everyday here. Currently we're missing the shelf supports to an antique buffet/china cabinet we bought last week. So frustrating.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Socks!

Every winter I come out with lost pairs or just one sock left. I never lose any other clothes so this mystifies me.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does outside count?

I bought an 18k gold band that I was taking pictures of to sell and had hung it on a branch of a flowering bush, I had just taken the final picture when it dropped off the branch into a pile of leaves below. Despite getting down on hands and knees, metal detector and multiple people looking, it has never been found.

I don't hang rings on bushes anymore without a sheet underneath.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm very particular about where I put things so it drives me insane when I can't find something. Losing something makes me distracted and grumpy until I find it.

A couple of times I've had dreams about a lost item and found it where it was in the dream.

The last thing I lost was my debit card. I know I had it at the pharmacy drive thru but can't find it now and I've looked and looked. I think the pharmacy put my card inside the bag with my prescriptions and I threw it out along with the bag. I also "lost" a pair of huggie earrings coming back from vacation many years ago. I was very tired and in a hurry when I packed and wasn't thinking clearly. Every time I open an old bag or suitcase I hope to find them, but I think TSA uses metal detectors on suitcases and they probably found where I hid them and "borrowed" them.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
My husband lost his wedding ring in our kitchen years ago and we never ever found it. Its like it was sucked into a black hole.

MelMc

Rough_Rock
Daisy and Diamonds, you should be able to get a "universal remote" that will work. They take a bit of set-up but after you figure out which frequency the old remote used it should work just the same. Look up universal remote control wherever you normally get your electronics. Most of them have multiple buttons so you can put the box and the tv on a single remote. I just checked Amazon at they have 20 pages of them starting at around $10USD.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Important paperwork, like super important and just about irreplaceable. And even more difficult with COVID....sigh.

If you would normally have filed it, look at the file folders immediately in front of and behind the folder they should have been filed in. My husband has misfiled papers this way.

If the papers were in a stack and you have recently filed any other papers, look there-- you may have grabbed a bigger stack than intended. We've done this, too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results