shape
carat
color
clarity

Things learned at the appraiser today

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thought I would share some information I learned today on a couple of my rings, starting with this one:

1.20 carat center
Color: L
Clarity: VS2 clarity
Table: 43.34%
Depth: 64.87%
Girdle: Thin to slightly thick, bruted
Culet: Very Large
Flourescence: Negligible
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Good

Melee estimated at .20 carat total H color SI1 clarity

5BAB7998-953E-4289-8937-1519C1EE01F4.jpeg

I was surprised that the table is so tiny! Not really surprised about color or clarity although the sides are quite a bit higher in color and yet I think the diamonds all look cohesive.

Next up, Goldilocks:

1.18 Center
Color: Fancy Brown
Clarity: I1
Table: 48.39%
Depth 79%
Girdle: Not visible
Culet: Large
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Fluorescence: Strong Blue

51051A33-284F-44F1-BD9A-7DCE9486AEB4.jpeg

Surprises here, the fluor was definitely a surprise. Wasn’t shocked by the clarity, Klass gave it an SI2, it has some beauty marks for sure. There were two appraisers, it’s a mother daughter team and they were very impressed with the quality of the setting and engraving, so that is a testament to the quality of David’s work, they see ALOT of jewelry.

Has anyone else been surprised by what was found at an appraisal? Would love to hear if so!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
No interesting appraisal stories but it’s cool to hear the outcome of yours!

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, I find it so interesting to find out everything about a piece. It‘s fun, they do everything right in front of you so it’s super relaxed and they even bring their (very well-behaved) dogs to the office too!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw thanks @stracci2000, at one point she actually told me I have a good eye, she wasn’t wrong, I still have one good eye anyways :lol:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw thanks @stracci2000, at one point she actually told me I have a good eye, she wasn’t wrong, I still have one good eye anyways :lol:

Of course you have a good eye, we've all been telling you for years!
Your good eye obviously makes up for your weak eye!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I have a weird love for the exceptionally tiny table oecs, I think they're harder to find. But, don't let that stop you from gifting me any of your collection, I'll take them all :lol:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a weird love for the exceptionally tiny table oecs, I think they're harder to find. But, don't let that stop you from gifting me any of your collection, I'll take them all :lol:

I know that people will purposely seek out OEC’s with tiny tables, this was just good old fashioned luck. No way would I have the patience to search to find a diamond with certain proportions :snooty:

I am going to keep your generous offer of taking on a part of my collection in mind if I ever hit it big, or hit the big one. Hopefully before I bite the big one :lol:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I know that people will purposely seek out OEC’s with tiny tables, this was just good old fashioned luck. No way would I have the patience to search to find a diamond with certain proportions :snooty:

I am going to keep your generous offer of taking on a part of my collection in mind if I ever hit it big, or hit the big one. Hopefully before I bite the big one :lol:

See? We're always looking out for each other:lol:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
That's a lovely gesture. I would be honored!

We always wait until it's some ridiculously high pot and then buy one ticket, to really increase our chances of never winning.:lol:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ItsMainelyYou DH will buy tickets if the pot is really big and I’ll go “CT never wins anything, you’re wasting your money” :lol-2:

It is true though, it’s always Florida or the Midwest, I guess they figure the Northeast has enough money.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He didn’t buy any tickets :(2

Well at least now I can stop daydreaming about what I’m going to do with a million dollars!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well at least now I can stop daydreaming about what I’m going to do with a million dollars!

I bet you were planning to buy a diamond mine....!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bet you were planning to buy a diamond mine....!

Surprisingly that was not on the list. I was thinking very practical:

Pay off the mortgage and car loan

New roof on the house and replace the driveway

Pay for the kids college (only half though because they need to pay their own way too)

And other very unsexy things

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
@ItsMainelyYou DH will buy tickets if the pot is really big and I’ll go “CT never wins anything, you’re wasting your money” :lol-2:

It is true though, it’s always Florida or the Midwest, I guess they figure the Northeast has enough money.

Pfft, well that's crap, 'cause they didn't give us the special key and club code word!

How are we going to not win now?!:cool2:
We have the entire side yard dug up and there was no treasure, not even a little one.
Where is my Tennessee gold hoard?
What. A. Let down.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ItsMainelyYou, better to find nothing than bones, unless they are dinosaur bones, that would be awesome!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
@ItsMainelyYou, better to find nothing than bones, unless they are dinosaur bones, that would be awesome!
I should be so lucky, find of the decade!
Ooh, we did have two tombstones in the attic of the old store, apparently they were bought and never picked up in the late 1800's. We gave them to the local living history museum when we moved in, along with a bunch of other historical artifacts.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I should be so lucky, find of the decade!
Ooh, we did have two tombstones in the attic of the old store, apparently they were bought and never picked up in the late 1800's. We gave them to the local living history museum when we moved in, along with a bunch of other historical artifacts.

I think it’s so cool that you have an old store on your property, at least I think you have mentioned it in your kitchen renovation thread.

We found a grave marker in the shed when we moved in to our house, the dates indicate a young child :(

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I think it’s so cool that you have an old store on your property, at least I think you have mentioned it in your kitchen renovation thread.

We found a grave marker in the shed when we moved in to our house, the dates indicate a young child :(

Yes!
*Our markers were for a young woman and child as well. It always made me sad, too.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m surprised the appraiser able to provide table and depth measurements for set diamonds, particularly for a bezel-set diamond!

Would you be willing to share your appraiser’s name and contact info?

I think I’ve fallen in love with Goldilocks, by the way. What an exquisite ring!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m surprised the appraiser able to provide table and depth measurements for set diamonds, particularly for a bezel-set diamond!

Would you be willing to share your appraiser’s name and contact info?

I think I’ve fallen in love with Goldilocks, by the way. What an exquisite ring!

When I had the ring made, David Klass weighed it, maybe having the actual weight helped in being able to determine the table and depth? I’m just guessing of course.

I used the New England Gem Lab in Old Saybrook, CT:

Thanks for your compliment on Goldilocks, she is special for sure, I’m glad I worked with David, he did a great job.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results