shape
carat
color
clarity

Things Kids Should Know by age 18

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Most states have adopted the Common Core State Standards which will tell you what kids in K-12 should know by the end of each year. English Language Arts and math are the focus. I believe they're working on developing science and maybe social studies standards, too.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am hoping that my husband's aspirations for our daughter come true: He wants her to have a thirst for knowledge. He told me that I'd better learn the whys to everything I say to her.

I fully expect to have my patience stretched thin. But I also expect her to be the really annoying kid in school that's a know-it-all about random subjects (cooking and statistics are first on that list).

You do get out what you put into it, and honestly, teenagers are idiots. They very rarely care what they know about the outside world, and those that do care go higher in the world than those that don't. A certain science and math nerd I graduated HS with, is now a VP of an international internet company and is extremely successful at the ripe old age of 30.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not remembering how to multiply matrices won't harm anyone just like not remembering the basic structure of a sonnet is not essential to many people. However, a good working knowledge of numbers is important, just like good grammar.

A person who has no grasp of numbers can be more easily manipulated by newspapers, politicians and other people who will mislead with numbers, if not downright lie with them. Being able to quickly see that "food prices have nearly doubled, from $1.25 to $1.90" (completely made up example, based on headlines I have seen too often in my life) is an exaggeration allows one to be wary of the rest of the message. Understanding basic orders of magnitude (cutting the president's salary won't cover the fiscal deficit, unfortunately, despite what some people advocate), percentages (interests, tax, discounts), reading graphs and a basic understanding of statistics are all enormously important.

No one reads the newspaper with a calculator or pull one out during a political speech. Being able to quickly manipulate numbers in your head (estimating whenever necessary, of course) is a very useful tool.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have only skimmed this thread, so someone has probably stated this already:

I teach middle school, my biggest issue is with the entitlement of students (and many parents). I would be fine with students needing to look something up if they would actually do the work themselves. I believe that there should be a base of knowledge, the issue is that people do not want to find the knowledge, just want it handed to them. Students want me to give them the answers rather than them trying to find the information. It is much easier for me to give the student the answer rather than trying to lead them so they discover the answer on their own. They just do not want to do the work.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
rubybeth|1355777328|3333635 said:
Edited to add: also, how to analyze information for reliability. Wikipedia is not a good source for school work. Fox News is not without bias. Not everything you read on the internet is true. I am kind of appalled at adults that I know that don't have this capability.

THIS. Absolutely this.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
FrekeChild|1355781534|3333709 said:
I am hoping that my husband's aspirations for our daughter come true: He wants her to have a thirst for knowledge. He told me that I'd better learn the whys to everything I say to her.

I fully expect to have my patience stretched thin. But I also expect her to be the really annoying kid in school that's a know-it-all about random subjects (cooking and statistics are first on that list).

You do get out what you put into it, and honestly, teenagers are idiots. They very rarely care what they know about the outside world, and those that do care go higher in the world than those that don't. A certain science and math nerd I graduated HS with, is now a VP of an international internet company and is extremely successful at the ripe old age of 30.

This is so important!

I think a healthy curiousity is developed by the family. We always had books around and my parents were always available to answer questions. They commented on what they read to us from an early age, including everything from cooking to astronomy to politics to economics. When we traveled, they always told us the history of what we were going to see before hand, they took the time to point out details in painting to us (my very atheist father taught me to interpret religious paintings, for example) and we always took our time where ever we were, to notice the small things. I grew up believing that there are reasons for things and that I can figure them out or research them. No subject was considered too boring, too nerdy or untouchable. Our toys ranged from Barbie dolls to chemistry sets. I was shocked in physics class when I found out that no one else in my class had played with a gyroscope as a child. It is, after all, the ultimate spinning toy.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Cozystitches|1355782322|3333725 said:

I teach middle school, my biggest issue is with the entitlement of students (and many parents). I would be fine with students needing to look something up if they would actually do the work themselves. I believe that there should be a base of knowledge, the issue is that people do not want to find the knowledge, just want it handed to them. Students want me to give them the answers rather than them trying to find the information. It is much easier for me to give the student the answer rather than trying to lead them so they discover the answer on their own. They just do not want to do the work.

I remember being in 4th or 5th grade and having to use the dictionary to look up the spelling of words. I bet if you told a kid to do that these days they would be really confused.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
amc80|1355782602|3333731 said:

I remember being in 4th or 5th grade and having to use the dictionary to look up the spelling of words. I bet if you told a kid to do that these days they would be really confused.

I don't think they would be. We still teach dictionary skills in school.

I agree that kids today want info handed to them. It's the instant gratification generation in a lot of ways. I can't tell you how many times my kids (students) ask me something and I turn it around and ask them what they think instead. They're 7 and 8.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
All kids (by age 18) should understand personal credit responsibilities and the importance of the FICO score. The long term effects are devastating if you aren't aware. Every high school should teach personal finance.

They should also know (by age 18) how to screw in a lightbulb, change a flat tire, and figure out the appropriate percentage for a tip and learn to feel comfortable speaking in front of a group.

There must be a zillion more but if my adult kids (29,30) see this they might think I'm using them as an example...I'm not actually...well, possibly a few...um, well maybe a couple????

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I also do detention for grades K-8, and make students starting in 3rd grade write essays rather than sentences. Students who ask how to spell something will often be given a dictionary and told to look it up.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also agree with those who said that kids should know basic life skills such as balancing a check book, learning about credit cards and how they work, etc.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Zoe|1355782878|3333735 said:
I can't tell you how many times my kids (students) ask me something and I turn it around and ask them what they think instead. They're 7 and 8.

I do this too! Kids hate it! What do you think? Where could you find this information? My students are 12-15, and detention are anywhere from 5-15. :D

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1355782878|3333735 said:

I don't think they would be. We still teach dictionary skills in school.

Until they figure out they can ask Siri how to spell words... :naughty:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't believe teaching young adults a particular set of facts is the way to go.

If you want to help them, show them how to become critical consumers of information. Help them develop a thirst for critical inquiry. Help them realize that they know and have been exposed to so little of what is out there, and knowing that, help them develop a habit of, and a passion for questioning everything.

Help them see that life is not about filling in the blanks with the "correct" answers, but rather identifying the blanks that are hidden by propaganda, false logic, ignorance, oversight, or plain old lies. And then comes the fun part: They'll learn that the only correct answers for those blanks are the ones they figure out for themselves.

Then they'll be ready. They'll have what it takes to figure out where Kenya is located should the need arise, and what's more exciting, they might even have the desire to go and explore it for themselves. Or not. But at least they'll have the tools to get the information they need, and to make the choice that works best for them.

It might not hurt to throw in some practical advise, as well: How to change a lightbulb. How to manage personal finances. How to avoid going into debt to the point that it limits their personal freedoms.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven|1355787348|3333806 said:
I don't believe teaching young adults a particular set of facts is the way to go.

If you want to help them, show them how to become critical consumers of information. Help them develop a thirst for critical inquiry. Help them realize that they know and have been exposed to so little of what is out there, and knowing that, help them develop a habit of, and a passion for questioning everything.

Help them see that life is not about filling in the blanks with the "correct" answers, but rather identifying the blanks that are hidden by propaganda, false logic, ignorance, oversight, or plain old lies. And then comes the fun part: They'll learn that the only correct answers for those blanks are the ones they figure out for themselves.

Then they'll be ready. They'll have what it takes to figure out where Kenya is located should the need arise, and what's more exciting, they might even have the desire to go and explore it for themselves. Or not. But at least they'll have the tools to get the information they need, and to make the choice that works best for them.

It might not hurt to throw in some practical advise, as well: How to change a lightbulb. How to manage personal finances. How to avoid going into debt to the point that it limits their personal freedoms.

Great post.

That's what makes PSers so compatible. We are all of us "critical consumers of information' as Haven so eloquently put it. That intellectual curiosity. That penchant to VERIFY everything is what makes us people's who opinions matter. We aren't sheep and we aren't satisfied with pat answers. We question, we demand information and we evaluate the answers and information we get ourselves then make informed decisions based on them.

That's something that... if you learn to teach you should sell. Cause I'd buy that for my kid.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

They handed out student dictionaries to all the kids at our school...my kids know how to use theirs (and each kid was given one to keep and take home). And, fwiw, REAL LIFE here: my son said all the kids once all gathered 'round to see if any "bad" words were in the big dictionary in class. They got a giggle when they found the "a word." Kids will be kids. ;))

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
if we turn the clock back to the 60's some of today's well educated kids couldn't even get a job as a cashier at a grocery store b/c there were no electronic scales back then. imagine today's kid trying to figure out in their head how much to charge a customer for 2 1/4 lb of bananas at 69 cents per lb w/o an electronic scale... ::)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dictionaries are great, but they are only useful if people actually see a reason to consult them.

When I teach vocabulary skills in my reading classes, I don't ask my students to learn lists of words. Instead, I teach them to develop the habit of collecting unfamiliar words and using them in their speech and writing. This is the only way we truly expand our personal lexicon.

One interesting thing I've observed over the years is that young adults often assume a word is being misused when they see or hear it in a new or unfamiliar context. This is an extremely limiting habit, though a surprisingly common one.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

HUGE DITTO. I'm extremely grateful to my parents for fostering independence and a thirst for knowledge in me. (Although they may regret that, because they ended up with an authority questioning liberal who doesn't go to church! :naughty:) They were the opposite of helicopter parents, in a good way. My twin sis and I played on our own both indoors and out, we were only able to watch TV for an hour on each weekend day, and they encouraged us to read as much as we wanted. We used to check out 20 books a week during the summer and would read all of them. Once, as part of the twin study we were in, my sister and I took standardized reading tests, and we were both reading at a college level in 5th grade.

If I have kids I hope to do exactly what they did with me, even if that means I end up with conservative church-goers who respect authority! :cheeky:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

Yes, add to this how to look after oneself through good physical health. How to cook for health and well being. How to help another and have a sense of empathy.

The (latest) research suggest that "resilience" is a major factor in "success". Knowing how to survive and overcoming challenges, is likley more important than nice to know facts like the world's longest river.

cheers--Sharon

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
amc80|1355784935|3333773 said:

You can!?!?! :-o How did I not know this?? lol

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Definitely basic economics. Then perhaps you wouldn't end up with national fiscal disasters like subprime lending and young adults who can hardly afford interest-only repayments on their student loans, never mind the principle!

I also agree with Gypsy's idea. Books, books, books, books, books. Did I mention books? Books about a wide variety of subjects, from the classic Frankenstein (seriously, some of the most beautiful language I've read and perhaps the subject would be an added bonus for them) to The Coming Plague (which will definitely gross them out and interest them, while teaching them excellent science concepts).

I think it is admirable that you're willing to put in some extra effort to prevent the "dumbing down" of our society. :))

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

"A" asked me what a word meant. Since she reads a lot and asks this often, I wanted to make sure she had the ability to look on her own and learn when others aren't around to answer for her. She didn't know there was a dictionary in the house (we've got multiples including a massive dictionary for the obscure stuff) or that I'd made sure she had one on her bookcase in her room. I watched her after she got it out and it was clear she had NO idea what to do with the thing.

ETA: "A" is 13 yrs old and in 7th grade this year

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been thinking about this lately. My list includes:

use a washing machine & dryer
handwash clothing
use a dishwasher
handwash dishes
plan balanced meals
cook a turkey dinner
change a tire
check oil
read contracts
understand what credit is and how to use responsibly
budget
proper care of a cat or dog
basic world history
US history
basic geography (and important history of places)
proper handling of a handgun and rifle (since "friends" like to show off, knowing what is not safe to do is a needed skill. I've heard awful stories where someone died because no one in the room knew how to unload a gun or even recognize the danger of a poorly handled gun and get out of the situation.)
use a dictionary
identify reliable and unreliable information sources
write a resume
basic first aid
basic sewing
how to put out kitchen fires
basic algebra
basic chemistry
fluent in at least two languages
basic electricity (how wires should cross, how to deal with bare wires, etc)

edited to clarify one item

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1355781495|3333708 said:
Most states have adopted the Common Core State Standards which will tell you what kids in K-12 should know by the end of each year. English Language Arts and math are the focus. I believe they're working on developing science and maybe social studies standards, too.

I'd have to check the district site to say which grades, but here, the kids begin testing with math and reading, then as they move on to higher grades, the tests include science and writing, and I am guessing eventually social studies. Last year, my younger son was tested on just the first two and my older also was tested in science. There is a website that you can type in any school and see how that school is doing compared to state standards. www.greatschools.org It's rather useful if you're looking to move or want to see if you can apply for a variance to place your child in a better school.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really have to ask. And I don't mean this to be snarky but: did any of you actually have someone show you how to change a lightbulb? Is this something that really needs to be taught? No one ever taught me. No one sat me down and said, "today we are going to learn to change a light bulb" but... I watched it done as I was growing up and eventually when I had to do it, I just did it.

There are certain things I know that many of my friends learned in college and graduate school. We had a TON of people in my freshman college class that couldn't work a washing machine. And a TON of people in graduate school that couldn't boil an egg. They learned from the rest of us who knew how. Peer to peer. And I think that's okay.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cozystitches|1355783693|3333747 said:

I also do detention for grades K-8, and make students starting in 3rd grade write essays rather than sentences. Students who ask how to spell something will often be given a dictionary and told to look it up.

In my kids' school, they begin writing expository essays in 4th grade, however, it appears his 3rd grade teacher taught him some because he knew how to write them at the beginning of the year.

One thing I thought was rather interesting is one teacher doesn't want students to use the word "got" in their writing. She said it's a lazy word that people use in place of more specific words, for example, "I got a new bike," should be, "I purchased a new bike." I noticed after that how "got" does sound a bit uneducated and now try to have my kids replace the word and also am attempting to use it less myself.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1355841714|3334532 said:
I've been thinking about this lately. My list includes:

use a washing machine & dryer
handwash clothing I don't think this is needed at all, I know how but have not handwashed a thing in the last 12 years or more
use a dishwasher
handwash dishes
plan balanced meals I don't think this is needed until after 18
cook a turkey dinner I don't think this is needed at all, and if it is... after 18 is fine
change a tire
check oil
read contracts
understand what credit is and how to use responsibly
budget
proper care of a cat or dog I don't think this is needed at all or can be learned upon acquiring a pet
basic world history
US history
basic geography (and important history of places)
proper handling of a handgun and rifle (since "friends" like to show off, knowing what is not safe to do is a needed skill. I've heard awful stories where someone died because no one in the room knew how to unload a gun or even recognize the danger of a poorly handled gun and get out of the situation.) I don't think this is needed at all, unless there is a gun in your home, the it is needed IMMEDIATELY upon acquiring the gun.
use a dictionary
identify reliable and unreliable information sources
write a resume
basic first aid
basic sewing I don't think this is needed at all
how to put out kitchen fires
basic algebra
basic chemistry I don't think this is needed at all
fluent in at least two languages I'd settle for "don't mangle the English language."
basic electricity (how wires should cross, how to deal with bare wires, etc)

edited to clarify one item

I gotta say it is really interesting to see everyone's lists! In my opinion: a lot of these can be learned in college, IMO. And quite a few of them: not at all. Different strokes.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
manderz|1355798183|3333991 said:

Yep! I used to think Siri was useless. And she is for asking specific questions, which usually just ends in a web search. But for other things she's great...such as asking her to set an alarm, text someone, how to spell something, the definition of a word, etc.

Oh, and for added fun, ask her "how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood". It's awesome.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
amc80|1355850324|3334691 said:
manderz|1355798183|3333991 said:

Yep! I used to think Siri was useless. And she is for asking specific questions, which usually just ends in a web search. But for other things she's great...such as asking her to set an alarm, text someone, how to spell something, the definition of a word, etc.

Oh, and for added fun, ask her "how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood". It's awesome.

Ask her if she is Skynet.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results