shape
carat
color
clarity

thin fingers- sizing problem - setting advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

josie

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Im so happy to have found this site !
My lovely boyfriend proposed to me last friday with a gorgeous tiffanys ring. Its a 2mm channel-set diamond band ring ( with diamonds right around the ring) . Its a ring i had always wanted (he''s such a sweet heart! )

Anyway, i have very small hands and fingers (so a large setting does not suit), and originally he gave me a size 5 which was way too big so we went back to tiffanys straight away . I changed it for a size 4.5 and took it home.. but after wearing it for about 30 mins i noticed that it annoyingly shifts and swivels up and down along my finger . In all the excitement at tiffanys i did not try the size 4 on, so for peace of mind i raced straight back to tiffanys to try the 4 . to my surprise (and the shop assistants) she got the size 4 on me which was really snug fit however quite tricky to get it on and off. She convinced me to take the size 4 - although i was quite dubious.... but as soon as i got home and went to put it on - i couldnt get it on and i was scared to force it !
32.gif

so clearly the size 4 is just way too small and will cause me trouble in the future if i put on weight, get on airplanes ,swell in the heat etc.

So im now very confused! obviously my only choice is the size 4.5 and im sure it will fit me better at times during the day or month when my fingers are swollen. Resizing it will never be an option since it has the diamonds right round the band.
There are no issues with it falling off, it goes snuggly over my finger joint and i have to work it off to get it off. I thought maybe that im a size inbetween 4 and 4.5 but i suppose i might have trouble getting it over my joint.

I know about sizing beads, bars, butterfly clips etc. but would prefer not to have to do this.
Also, since the size 4.5 ring goes snuggly over my knuckle there really isnt any room for beads, clips etc. and i want to beable to get it off!

Anyway, i also tried on a thicker 3mm band in size 4.5 (the first time i went in) . I remember commenting to the sales girl that it felt tighter on than the thinner band even though they were the same size, and she told me that the wider bands fit tighter. So what i was thinking was, that maybe i need to think about a thicker band that wont slide as much on my thin finger. Maybe the 2mm is just too delicate ... although i will one day wear a second 2mm band when we get married which might hold things together a bit better.

Has anyone got any advice on this ? i know many of you have similar problems since ive read all the threads but i cant find any advice on thick vs thin bands in regards to fitting better, only on the rezising techniques.
Any advice would be appreciated
19.gif

many thanks

josie.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So a 4.5 is a bit too loose, 4 is not your size. 4.25 probably is the answer. Once you get your wedding band, though, it will fit tighter.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2006 9:03:31 PM
Author: JulieN
So a 4.5 is a bit too loose, 4 is not your size. 4.25 probably is the answer. Once you get your wedding band, though, it will fit tighter.

ditto. try a 4.25. A wedding band doesn''t change the size of my rings but it does make them feel more snug for many people. If there is a way to try both on together, you might be able to tell if the 4.25 will work.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Does Tiffany do 1/4 sizes? I didn''t think so.

If you don''t want to have any sizing things put into the ring, your options are limited. Can you get used to it? Do you like the way the ticker band looks as well as feels? You may just want to wear it for a while and see how it works. And as you mentioned, it will fit better once you get your w-band.

I''m curious, when you were switching out the 5 for the 4.5 and then tried the 4, were they resetting your diamond or what? Or were you switching center stones each time?

josie

Rough_Rock
thanks !

yeah -- thats what i was afraid of! Tiffanys doesnt do a size 4.25 .. i suppose my other alternative is to get a band that doesnt have stones the full circumference , and then get it sized exactly .. although id still be a little concerned about getting the 4.25 over my finger joint.

so the thickness of the band wont really matter?

cheers,
josie

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can order a size 4.25. Takes a while but Tiff''s will do it. No prob.
2.gif

josie

Rough_Rock
when i was switching sizes i was just exchanging rings. they stock the same ring in different sizes. So there was no resizing, just exchanging - so ive had 3 different rings this week --- when you return them they inspect them closely before they accept the exchange -- of course i havent been wearing the rings -well only for a short period and then deciding that its the wrong size, so there is definitely no marks on them .

cheers.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tiffany won't do .25 sizes??? They should do whatever it takes to make it fit, take it down a 1/16th of a size if they have to!

It's usually easier to get it on than off.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Call and ask to speak to the manager. Tiff''s will do what they need to, to make this a right fit for you. Don''t ask for in stock rings that aren''t your correct size. I know that would be the easy route to take but they don''t fit you properly.
2.gif

josie

Rough_Rock
well it seems like i''ll have to ask them . its frustrating that the shop assistant didnt offer me any of this info .

She told me about the sizing beads but that was about all and actually if you put sizing beads on the size 4.5 i dont think id ever get it on , so that was bad advice

im sure the problem mainly lies with the shape of my fingers, but it would be best to start off with the best possible fitting ring.
and yes a 1/16th size change would probably reduce the shifting as well.

I should add im in Australia so all the tiffs stuff is brought in from the US so maybe either the shop assistants are a little out of the loop or maybe they dont get many special orders to be sent over and so dont realise that its possible.

cheers

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
I had a very similar experience when I first got my e-ring.
In the end, I settled with the size that would fit over my knuckle easily, even if it felt loose all the way on.
It definitelty felt better once I had the wedding band on to hold it in place better.

My fingers simple swell from day to day and sometimes I can only wear one ring - other times I can wear w-band, e-ring and my eternity ring all stacked up.

I''ve come to enjoy the variety.
Also I don''t care anymore if my e-ring flops to the side - it looks pretty from that angle, too.

josie

Rough_Rock
yeah -- it sure is a tricky one..

i wont mind if it swivels around, my main problem is it falling up and down my finger-- i can tell that is simply going to annoy me,and i will be constantly aware of it on my hand.. i think my best best is to see if they can do an in between size.

although, since they dont do the 4.25 in store, i wont have one to try on first - which is a worry as well since im still not sure exactly what size i am..

who knew that something so simple would turn out so complicated!

josie

Rough_Rock
ok ---- so i just got off the phone to tiffanys in sydney .

she said they cant make the rings in the 1/4 increments because of the diamonds right around the band - she said that its to do with the spacing of the stones round the circumference. .
im not entirely convinced, but since tiffs jewellry is imported here from the US maybe they just cant order specific sizes.

Kaleigh, you said that they can make them .. do you know this for a fact/from personal experience, or are you just assuming it ?

anyways, the shop assistant suggested that i go for a band with diamonds only on the top so i can have it resized to a 4.25 if i need to. although id be suspicious that it might spin still and then id end up with platinum on the top and diamonds underneath!

she also suggested trying thicker bands that might cling to my finger better, as well as checking the effect of stacking 2 rings together to see if thats better.

and at the end of the day, it might not be a sizing issue but just that my fingers are just too thin above my finger joint.

phew! i hope i have a ring on my finger soon
33.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Josie,

If you are young and want this ring to last a lifetime, I highly recommend not getting diamonds all the way around. Many people over the years need to have a ring sized, even if only a little. I wore mine for 30 years and it was getting a little snug, so I sized it up a half size. You really need the option to do this.

I agree with the others in that an e-ring alone is going to spin. It stays in place much better once you get the wedding band! But I''d get the 4 1/2 if you can''t get 4 1/4.

Are you changing diamonds every time you change sizes? Are you looking at the diamond certificates?

Sunnygal

Rough_Rock
Have you considered adding ''sizing beads'' to your ring, this will help minimize spinning.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2006 7:49:30 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Josie,

If you are young and want this ring to last a lifetime, I highly recommend not getting diamonds all the way around. Many people over the years need to have a ring sized, even if only a little. I wore mine for 30 years and it was getting a little snug, so I sized it up a half size. You really need the option to do this.

I agree with the others in that an e-ring alone is going to spin. It stays in place much better once you get the wedding band! But I'd get the 4 1/2 if you can't get 4 1/4.

Are you changing diamonds every time you change sizes? Are you looking at the diamond certificates?
That is what I meant in my above question (about the diamond changing each time). The diamonds can't all be exactly the same on all the rings.

To me, that sounds like a bunch of baloney about them not being able to make a 4.25 do to the spacing of the diamonds.

Are you sure you would not consider a butterfly spring? Your story mirrors mine exactly and this has been a lifesaver for me. The sizing beads never worked for me either because they still made it hard to get the ring off/on. I had them removed and had the spring put in. My fingers are also much thinner after the knuckle. A size 5 fits my finger perfect but I can't get that size over my knuckle. The spring opens and closes to allow you to get it on and off with ease. A spring on a size 4.5 sounds like it would be the answer to your problems.

This also would make it possible for you to keep the eternity band on the e-ring, because it is a ring sizing device. It can be loosened and tightened for years to come. You can remove it alltogether if your fingers get larger later in life.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2006 2:18:34 AM
Author: josie

and at the end of the day, it might not be a sizing issue but just that my fingers are just too thin above my finger joint.
Your fingers aren''t the problem! Your fingers are YOUR FINGERS! They are what they are and there''s nothing wrong with them.... the ring should fit your finger, your finger shouldn''t fit the ring!

just wanted to point that out!

And congrats on getting engaged!

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
eternity bands can be made in 1/4 sizes. my fingers are tiny as well. i have a threestone engagement ring (1.8 center and .45 sides)...and it is a 4 1/8...the eternity band will be a 4 1/4.

i know that tiffany will custom order for color (their standard is "g"), but they may not be willing to order in 1/4 sizes. they have strict specifications for their vendors, and for mass market items generally do not deviate...and that is in some ways to ensure quality and consistency.

if you have your heart set on the eternity style, try the ring on in a 4 1/4 along with the wedding band you intend to wear. since the wedding band goes on first, the eternity will sit closer to your knuckle, where your finger is probably slightly larger...

good luck!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I think there is a little confusion in regards to her changing out her ring for various sizes -- it is a channel set eternity band, not a ring with a "main" diamond requiring certificates, etc., that is why she is just going in and swapping for different sizes.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
If there is no center diamond than I would just leave it as is. I mean, it's an eternity band so it doesn't matter if it spins. As long as it doesn't run the risk of falling off. You will have days when it is loose and days when it is tight, as most of us do, when it is hot or cold outside, etc. I think a sizing device for an eternity band is kind of silly. I know that eternity bands can be made in 1/4 sizes and even more specific than that. WF is currrently making me a size 5.5+, which is more than a 5.5 but less than a 5 5/8. The question is, will Tiffany do it for you?

Better a little too big than a little too small, I believe because than at least you can get it on and off.

josie

Rough_Rock
Wow ! thanks for all the advice.

Since tiffanys wont do a size 4.25, my only option is the size 4.5 .
im going into tiffanys this morning to try the 4.5 on with the band i want as my wedding band - its an alternating pink saphire and diamond band . I think with two on they will hold better when i eventually get the second band.

and yes, there is no larger stone on top so it doesnt matter if it turns on my finger, but im concerned with it shifting up and down the base of my finger -- its a little annoying...

So my plan is to also try a thicker band and see if it holds a bit tighter , although i do like the thinner bands since my hands are tiny and the bigger rings look a bit too chunky on me.

i think i will probably just get the 4.5 and if it is too loose then i will think about have a butterfly clip put in.

thankyou!
36.gif

jasper

Shiny_Rock
Josie,

Congratulations on your engagement.
Does your ring have a comfort-fit?
Have you considered getting a size 5 ring
with medium or large sizing beads?

When I originally got my class ring, I had a similar problem:
The size 7 was too tight to put on.
The size 7 1/2 was loose, and spun on my finger (at that time of year).
The ring manufacturer only made pipe-fit rings, and did not offer sizing beads.
So they sold me a size 7 1/4 as a compromise:
I could (usually) get it on my finger,
but it was (usually) a little loose, and spun +/- 40 degrees.

This past year, I got tired of having to use spit or soapy water
to put my ring on and off -- and often at inconvenient times,
like before a wedding reception, or before getting on a plane.
I had my ring resized to an 8, and had large sizing beads put in.
(If I were to do it over again, I MIGHT get medium sizing beads instead.)
After a couple days, I did not feel the beads anymore.
The ring does not spin anymore, and I can always get it on or off
without resorting to spit or soapy water.

With your ring design, using spit or soapy water to put on the ring
would make it nearly impossible to have both a clean ring
and the ring on your finger at the same time.

If your ring is available with a comfort-fit shank,
please consider it. It will make it easier to slide
the ring on and off your finger, instead of making the skin
bunch up in front of the ring.

Again, congratulations, and good luck with both your ring and your marriage!

Sincerely yours,

Jasper Paulsen
----------------
http://www.folds.net/diamond

josie

Rough_Rock
ok .. so i went back to tiffanys and ended up with the size 4.5 ..
30.gif
30.gif

and remarkably, since bringing it home I have noticed just how much my fingers change during the day. the ring fits perfectly when i am warm and excercising, and gets really loose when i get cold - which one would expect, but i never realised just how severve the changes are.
Im getting used to it moviing around on my finger.. and think i can put up with for meantime.

I also tried it on with the wedding band in the store and that makes a huge difference and makes it much more stable.
So, even if it does feel very loose at times , i know that within the next year i should also have the wedding band on and then i dont think i ll have any problems in the future.

anyway, since sorting it out ive finally been able to wear it around and i luv it.. now i really feel engaged !!
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results