shape
carat
color
clarity

Thin fingers, knuckles and Cartier

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Iris

Rough_Rock
Aaargh. Love the ring, but not the aggravation of sizing issues. OK, knuckles and ring spinning is not a new topic, but this is a new ring for me -- and I''m stymied by the different suggestions I''ve received from jewelers. The back story: Ring was purchased as appx. size 5, was supposed to be sized to 4 1/2, came back as 4/3/4. Too large, esp. with heavy platinum weight on top. Sent back to jewelers for correction, and was sized to 4/1/2. Tight over knuckle, and it''s not flopping, but it does spin. Here are the suggestions given to me by a couple of jewelers -- size the ring back up 1/4 size and have beads put in -- or keep the size as is and try very small beads -- or try a u-guard. Let me state that I absolutely do not want this ring cut a third time. There is a fair amount of pave leading to the center stone and I do not want to compromise it''s integrity. Also, it has a very narrow shank that leads to a wider pave top, so it will always have the character of a top-heavy ring (though very delicate in design). I''m concerned that 2 small beads might make the ring difficult to put on and take off. And -- even if I did size the ring up again with beads, wouldn''t the "air" around the thinnest part of my finger look odd with extra space?? And there are the weather changes, to consider. Let me add that this ring is the Cartier Ballerine, and yes, of course I have had conversations with them. I believe that they would also prefer not to cut the ring again. I am hoping that one of the pros can give me some wisdom...this is a very beautiful piece and I want it to connect with my finger!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
look at getting a horseshoe sizer or butterfly spring...it allows for the ring to get over the knuckles and then tightens up around the finger. the beads just seem like they would be uncomfortable to me.

here is jasmine''s horseshoe sizer :

TR_edited.jpg

Iris

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much, mrssalvo. I was advised that these springs break and will need replacing. Of course, I don''t know if that''s true, but I wonder what other options there are? Also, the extra bit of metal might still make the shank a bit tighter getting over the knuckle. Selfishly, I would also hope not to cover up the hallmarks...I guess I want everything pristine, to stay as beautiful as it is, but to fit!!! All ideas are welcome.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
well you can always go to claires and buy the cheap plastic snuggies. those might just do the trick for you.

as for the horsesizer breaking, i''ve never heard that but it doesn''t mean it''s not true. couldn''t you just have it replace if it did? also, although it would cover up the halmark, I didn''t think they did permanant damage to the rings, so it could be removed easily and the halmark still there. maybe worth looking into a bit further since it really does seem like the perfect solution for you IMO. but try the claires things, for a few bucks they might do the job just fine.

nebe

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/11/2007 5:57:39 PM
Author: mrssalvo
look at getting a horseshoe sizer or butterfly spring...it allows for the ring to get over the knuckles and then tightens up around the finger. the beads just seem like they would be uncomfortable to me.

here is jasmine''s horseshoe sizer :

TR_edited.jpg
Whoa. I''ve never seen that before. COOL!

Iris

Rough_Rock
Thanks again, mrssalvo. I''ll look into both suggestions...

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
Hi Iris,

If this is an engagement ring, soldering the wedding ring to it can alleviate spinning, as long as the double-ring still slides over your knuckle.

Date: 10/11/2007 7:11:51 PM
Author: mrssalvo
well you can always go to claires and buy the cheap plastic snuggies. those might just do the trick for you.

I had to do that for my fiance. She said it was comfortable and it did the trick...its a bit embarrassing for me though...but they do seem to work.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results