shape
carat
color
clarity

Thin band cracked

may2025bride

Rough_Rock
Only had the ring since Dec 2022-I noticed my band was slightly bent, I took it off and with little force tried to straighten it. The band then cracked in two places (see pic) Took it to the jeweler and they sent it out for repair. I asked was it because of the petite band-He said he never seen this happen in his life. My fiancé says I should switch out the band. I’m considering but just want my ring back for now.

4820D875-906A-4FE3-843A-89A22192D146.jpeg Thoughts? Please help. Thanks in advance

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sorry this happened :(

If it were me - I’d be asking for it to be thoroughly checked for porosity issues before accepting a repair job.
Plus - are you being charged for the repair?

And concurrently while they are checking for porosity, if I bent a ring like that in a few months - I definitely would rethink my wearing habits and/or realize a sturdier band was needed for my daily wear habits. I don’t think I would ever feel secure in trying to ‘bend back’ a pave band DIY.
We all differ tho.

may2025bride

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your response, Yes being charged. Porosity issues can you explain?

may2025bride

Rough_Rock
Daily habits office job and mom. Didn’t realize I would have this issue.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your response, Yes being charged. Porosity issues can you explain?

If I were paying for repair especially - I’d talk to the jeweler if it were being soldered or laser welded. Not quite sure I’d feel comfortable with a soldering job. Security wise. Meh - even with laser welding I’m not sure about being ok with it - about the potential damage to the melee - what’s left after they do all the work. What it will look like. Metal and melee. Heck, that’d be on my mind if I wasn’t paying for it too - so I guess disregard that part.

Porosity is little air pockets/bubbles that happened during casting. Too many/too large cause weakness. I think it can happen either from poor casting technique, or poor quality material. But it’s happened to reputable jewelers that don’t do poor work, too. They should stand behind their product. If that’s even the issue at hand here. I’m certainly jumping the gun but it does need to be looked at as a possibility if a jeweler just wants to fix it back together. It won’t last if that’s the real cause/problem.

Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
C79BCF1D-218C-4405-B8DF-76DE932C527D.jpeg

Is your halo bent as well?
Just comparing the red arrow area to the purple arrow area
If it is - I really would not want my ring just fixed after 3 months of wear. I’d want it remade.

may2025bride

Rough_Rock
C79BCF1D-218C-4405-B8DF-76DE932C527D.jpeg

Is your halo bent as well?
Just comparing the red arrow area to the purple arrow area
If it is - I really would not want my ring just fixed after 3 months of wear. I’d want it remade.

I didn’t even check the halo here is a pic of it on before it cracked you can see the band bent 399ACBC9-5F4A-4A9C-82DD-BF92F8A97E10.jpeg

may2025bride

Rough_Rock
Do you know the width in mm? Most recommend at least 2mm width for a plain band and more if you have melee in the band for durability.

I believe 1.7 or 1.8

may2025bride

Rough_Rock
I would want it re made, not just fixed. 3 months is so short for that kind of damage, especially if you arent lifting weights, gardening, or doing other intense stuff with your hands.

Yes no weight lifting, or heavy lifting etc, I take it off at night.

Txborn79

Shiny_Rock
I believe 1.7 or 1.8

Definitely too thin, especially with melee in the band. Without a new setting or at least a new band (not even sure it would be possible to replace just the band) this will be a recurring issue.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I agree. That’s too thin for cast band with melee. Even without yardwork/weightlifting/dog walking with a leash /laundry getting it snagged

Maybe for a finely hand forged (should be stronger than cast) band - but still that’s be non daily wear item at that width, for me.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No help here except to say I would consider a complete remake with a wider/sturdier band.

With my first reset of my 1.19ct EC, the band was 4mm at the top tapered to 3mm at the bottom, plain comfort shank without stones.

The shoulders of the band were not solid, and I managed to bend the ring during one spirited drunken evening out.

Luckily, I already decided to have it re-set again in its now forever setting, and the bench that was making the new setting knocked the ring back into shape for me when I went to see them soon after the evening out.

I lost confidence in wearing that ring as it was then, in case I might bend it again.

The new ring setting is a lot sturdier, solid all the way, cost quite a bit more than the ring setting made by the bench I normally use in China, as it has more Platinum and bigger melees.

Good luck with the remake.

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your feedback I really appreciate it-I’m a novice on this!

Welcome to PS!

You've come to the right/good place for advice.

Please don't blame us for leading you down jewellery related rabbit holes though as it can easily happen!

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Dear @may2025bride,

You have been getting some excellent advice here. I lost some sales when I declined to make rings under 2.0 mm in width, especially when melee was to be set into the ring. I think for a beautiful stone as large as yours, especially with the added structural stress of a double halo, this 1.8 mm ring never should have been made, with, or without porosity.

Once, many years ago, we had a client damage the heck out of her brand new ring, clapping her hands at her son's basketball game with rings on both hands. Proof positive you do not need to be a weightlifter to bend or damage a shank. (Golfing is also not advised!)

Your fiance is correct, you need to remake, not repair, this ring. I wish you luck with your remake and welcome to the very vibrant and friendly community you have just joined!

may2025bride

Rough_Rock
Dear @may2025bride,

You have been getting some excellent advice here. I lost some sales when I declined to make rings under 2.0 mm in width, especially when melee was to be set into the ring. I think for a beautiful stone as large as yours, especially with the added structural stress of a double halo, this 1.8 mm ring never should have been made, with, or without porosity.

Once, many years ago, we had a client damage the heck out of her brand new ring, clapping her hands at her son's basketball game with rings on both hands. Proof positive you do not need to be a weightlifter to bend or damage a shank. (Golfing is also not advised!)

Your fiance is correct, you need to remake, not repair, this ring. I wish you luck with your remake and welcome to the very vibrant and friendly community you have just joined!

Thank you

may2025bride

Rough_Rock
Welcome to PS!

You've come to the right/good place for advice.

Please don't blame us for leading you down jewellery related rabbit holes though as it can easily happen!

LOL!!! I learning a lot!!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
It seems to me the bend is the real problem because trying to straighten any piece of jewelry seems like it would be risky. So I'd start with how it got bent in the first place.

It's possible for a ring to get a hard knock that you just don't remember. After all, very few jewelry pieces are indestructible.

If that's likely, I'd accept the fix that's already in the works. But then keep an eye on it and reconsider, if it gets bent again. Also, be sure to remove it whenever an activity warrants it. (I banged up a few rings when out drinking--- whoopsie!)

I'm thinking this might not happen again just because now you're more aware of how it could be damaged.

may2025bride

Rough_Rock
It seems to me the bend is the real problem because trying to straighten any piece of jewelry seems like it would be risky. So I'd start with how it got bent in the first place.

It's possible for a ring to get a hard knock that you just don't remember. After all, very few jewelry pieces are indestructible.

If that's likely, I'd accept the fix that's already in the works. But then keep an eye on it and reconsider, if it gets bent again. Also, be sure to remove it whenever an activity warrants it. (I banged up a few rings when out drinking--- whoopsie!)

I'm thinking this might not happen again just because now you're more aware of how it could be damaged.

I take a lot of pictures of my ring I’m still in that obsessive stage haha. Friday I have a pic it did not have the bend and Monday it did. I thought long and hard, and remember Saturday it hitting my car door, wasn’t anything too hard but thats all I can tie it too. Then Monday I notice the bend. I’m thinking I will accept the fix be super careful and price out a replacement setting, pay on it then have it done.

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
Only had the ring since Dec 2022-I noticed my band was slightly bent, I took it off and with little force tried to straighten it. The band then cracked in two places (see pic) Took it to the jeweler and they sent it out for repair. I asked was it because of the petite band-He said he never seen this happen in his life. My fiancé says I should switch out the band. I’m considering but just want my ring back for now.

4820D875-906A-4FE3-843A-89A22192D146.jpeg Thoughts? Please help. Thanks in advance

Oh no! That just should not have happened. I'm so sorry .

may2025bride

Rough_Rock
No offense taken, I do like what’s “on-trend”lol and now I’m paying for it

But it wasn’t explained to my fiancé. I also feel like the jeweler blaming me. He said he never seen this before, looked at me like I was crazy-and from the comments here it should be known warning to customers

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
No offense taken, I do like what’s “on-trend”lol and now I’m paying for it

its till not fare
its your beautiful ring and now its unwearable

But it wasn’t explained to my fiancé. I also feel like the jeweler blaming me. He said he never seen this before, looked at me like I was crazy-and from the comments here it should be known warning to customers

i completly agree it should be warned prior to purchase

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results