shape
carat
color
clarity

thick girdle affect an ideal cut diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

baby

Rough_Rock
Hi - A few questions on girdle = THICK:

1) Does a THICK girdle affect the fire/brilliance of an ideal cut diamond?
2) A Thick girdle will make the dimension a little smaller. But besides this, what else does it affect?
3) The stone I am thinking of buying has the following specs: depth 62%, Table 57%, both Excellent polish and symmetry, E in color and VS1 in clarity, fluorescence is NONE, GIA certified, over 1 carat. The only problem with it is having a THICK girdle. Given the above spec should I buy or not buy it?

Any advice is greatly appreciated? Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

The Gipper

Rough_Rock
It will actually add to the stability of the stone in the mounting.

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Baby;

In order to achieve an AGS0 grade for girdle,
it must be no less than, 0.5% and no more than,
3% in total thickness.

Buy Informed!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
----------------
3) The stone I am thinking of buying has the following specs: depth 62%, Table 57%, both Excellent polish and symmetry, E in color and VS1 in clarity, fluorescence is NONE, GIA certified, over 1 carat. The only problem with it is having a THICK girdle. Given the above spec should I buy or not buy it?
----------------
As Cut Nut wrote, thick girdle will have liitle if any affect on the light performance. However, it should affect the market price because the diamond is not AGS ideal cut.

If the price is right (what is it, btw?), why not to buy? :)

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
With the deeper % of 62 coupled with the thick girdle, this stone may have the appearance of being smaller than that of a 1c.

JMHO, I would rethink the E color to a G; and, concentrate on a better cut.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes I was also thinking the depth was a little deep combined with the thicker girdle. But if the price is very right, then you might still be interested. Did you run a check on Pricescope to find out if it's comparably priced? Or you could do as F&I says and focus on a better cut which will most likely result in your 1c looking more like a 1c than less.

:)

baby

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the insights. This is my first time
using this forum and its wonderful!

The diamond is 1.92 carat, dimension 7.9mm-7.97mm x
4.9mm. And the vendor will give me a price of 5-10%
below the Rappaport Diamond report. The price is
right, but I am looking for an IDEAL cut diamond, and
based on the spec everything looks ideal EXCEPT for
the THICK girdle.

The specs on this 1.92 carat, E color, VS1 clarity,
Excellent both Polish and symmetry, Depth 62%, Table
57%, GIA certified, but only issue is the THICK
girdle. BTW, this is also an Heart&arrow diamond.
Based upon the specs,

1) should I buy this diamond for its Idealness and
good price?
2) Besides having a smaller dimension than
other 1.92 carats, is there anything else a THICK
girdle will effect?
3) depth of 62% based on GIA report - is that too deep
on a 1.92 carat with THICK girdle diamond?

At the end of the day, I am looking for an ideal cut
diamond that gives most fire and brilliance :))

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Well, you've done your searching, found a good potential candidate, but now you need the peace of mind and assurance that is a ) As represented and b) the diamond quality you really want.

To go futher without having someone see the stone who is knowledeable is only going to get you guess work.

You're saving a lot of what you'd pay in a B&M store, so why not invest in getting the stone checked so you have real facts to make your decision.

Now its perhaps time to consider which expert you want to use...... appraise the appraiser...

Get as much information as possible, then you can make an informed decision ...rather than guessing blindly.

Hope this helps.

Rockdoc

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
This girdle is adding between 8 and 10% to the weight of the stone, so you have about a 1.76ct stone that is costing 1.92ct.

Hope this free advice helps :)

RockDoc, please assist consumers, or dissist from blatant advertising.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results