shape
carat
color
clarity

They're here! 2.7ct Montana Sapphires - thoughts?(pic heavy)

burntskye

Rough_Rock
My search for a center stone began a couple of months ago but i only started on PS a few weeks ago. I fell in love with a Montana Sapphire from Gemfix - see original thread here: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-help-purchasing-first-stone-engagement.204934/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-help-purchasing-first-stone-engagement.204934/[/URL] but Laura convinced me to try a second stone based on my requests. Knowing she was an expert, i couldnt decide, so i purchased both to see them in person and then will send one (or both) back. i got them in the mail today and MY GOODNESS!! they are both the prettiest stones i have ever ever seen. I would be more than thrilled with either. There are 435 and 312 on this page: http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_montana.html

both are completely eye clean and are about the same size. the round has a much larger face and strong color shift to silvery green outside. cushion has slightly less sparkle due to the cut but has a slightly lavenderish blue in incandescent and more of a denim in direct sunlight. I opened these around 6:30pm so i havent seen them in all lighting conditions AND this is my first time taking photos of gemstones so sorry if they are rough!

i think i am partial to the color of the cushion but i just cant deny the intense sparkle and color change of the round. my boyfriend is partial to the round because, as he says, "look at it! its cut better, its sparklier, it changes color!". :)

the setting will be simple tiffany 4-6 prong platinum with 2mm tapered band with nothing on the crown, shank or band. Here we go! What do you think?

20140829_185146.jpg

20140829_185212.jpg

20140829_185335.jpg

20140829_185402.jpg

burntskye

Rough_Rock
Re: They're here! 2.7ct Montana Sapphires - thoughts?(pic he

more pics!

20140829_185418.jpg

20140829_185428.jpg

20140829_185537.jpg

20140829_185542.jpg

burntskye

Rough_Rock

20140829_185603.jpg

20140829_185707.jpg

20140829_185711.jpg

20140829_185731_0_.jpg

burntskye

Rough_Rock

20140829_185725.jpg

20140829_185731_0_0.jpg

20140829_190030.jpg

20140829_190126.jpg

burntskye

Rough_Rock

... by the way, holding these was terrifying...

20140829_190048.jpg

20140829_190142.jpg

20140829_191634.jpg

20140829_190558.jpg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

OP - both of the GemFix Montana sapphires appear well-cut and to have classic Montana coloring (though differing from each other) - have you had a chance to compare them further today in daylight and other lighting environments?

Based on your pics above, my eyes really prefer the coloring and cut/shape of the cushion, but the round of course is very pretty too.

What do you and your BF think of the stones now that you've lived with them for a day or so?

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

Sooo hard to decide!! You did the right thing in getting them both for a looksee since now you don't have to wonder. Either would appear to be a good choice.

From here I think it's personal preference - you have the stones in hand and we don't. The top two photos in your second post are most telling to me because I can see the bluer colour of the cushion and the slightly greener colour of the round: both sparklers, similar saturation, good hand presence.

It is so difficult for us to judge at this stage. Are you going to choose between these and then get the lavender concave to see which you prefer? Or even the lavender CC from Gemfix - did you ask about what appeared to be zoning?

Despite your intended's preference for the round, you have to wear it every day. Don't be swayed to please him because you may end up regretting it. Nothing is worse than looking down at your hand and thinking "I wish... "

Also realise a coloured stone solitare is vastly different from a diamond solitare. There are very few coloured stones that can't be enhanced by a couple of diamonds ;))

ETA: I also like the way the cut sparkles on the cushion in some of the photos though this may be an artifact of photography and not the way you see it IRL

burntskye-star-twinkles.png

burntsky-green-and-blue-gemfix.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's a difficult choice, I prefer the color slightly better on the cushion, but the round is larger.

If you set it in white metal, either gem will look very icy and steely. If you set it in rose gold, the blue in them will pop more, as it will with yellow gold, but rose gold will make the blue color pop the most. It depends on what kind of look you're going for. I like the faceting on the cushion a lot. That small table must really make it sparkle. :naughty:

In any case, a halo would bring out the interesting facet pattern more, but you're not doing that. I'm a halo addict, so don't mind me. ;-)

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

I'm going to post this from GlamMosher's thread because I think it shows what both TL and I are trying to say regarding yellow gold and a few diamonds ;))

If you are going to have platinum, just use the yellow gold for the prongs or head on the sapphire.

icy-green-3xprincess-each-side.jpg

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

In the gemfix pictures, I wouldn't have chosen the round but in your pictures it is pretty. I really prefer the cushion, love the faceting and the color. I'm a fan of fancy shapes over rounds, and love solitaires. That said I think the cushion would look fabulous with either diamond trillions or baguettes. Something in nice proportion to make the color pop.
Edited to remove picture.

garnet_1.jpg

ephsea

Shiny_Rock

I prefer the cushion, it lights up better, at least in the pictures. Update us after you've seen a few more of it's moods, and maybe take a few (or a lot) more pictures? Montana's are shifty beasts - I think they look best on cloudy/grey days, oddly enough. All of Andrew's stones are fine, well cut gems - it's going to come down to personal taste.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock

I like the cushion better as well, something about it!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ephsea|1409464865|3742287 said:
All of Andrew's stones are fine, well cut gems.

He sells some native cuts as well, but I do agree that all the stones he fully cuts are well done.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

Both are very nice Montanas, but I like the cushion better, along with everybody else. The facet pattern should make it flash nicely in the light. I think a cushion set without any other bling is a little more interesting than a round too.

Try putting them on a penny or any rose gold piece you may own, just to see how that would bring out the blue -- if you're really stuck on wg or platinum, okay, but it's worth checking out rg or yg.

I'll be interested to know which one you choose!

plummiecat

Shiny_Rock

Tough decision! Both are very beautiful but I would probably pick the round for the size and because you said it has more sparkle.

burntskye

Rough_Rock

To all - thanks so much for the input. I have been carrying these little babies around me wherever i go in and around the house to see what colors they pick up - the pictures just dont do either of them justice at all. its so hard to take the photos because the look completely different in person than any of the photos show. in mixed light and low light, the stones are the exact same color - the round just slightly more sparkly. sunlight has each stone show either solid marine green or solid demin blue. i know the description of the stone mentions teal, but i dont see a lick of green in the cushion. i also noticed the crown on the cushion is pretty high which is part of what makes it so sparkly; however, the only time my eye really prefers the cushion color is when its tilted and shows a hint of lavender/periwinkle but that perspective wont be visible when the stone is set! the faceting of the cushion is really unique, especially on the crown area - it must be Andrew's Rhapsody cut that makes it just appear different and, i agree TL a halo would bring this out much more. all that said, in my humble opinion, while the cushion might be the most unique stone and a little bluer, when looking at the stone straight down, the color shifts, sparkle and shape of the round just really are so much more pleasing to my eye than the cushion. so, contrary to popular opinion, we have settled on the round!

Starzin - i nixed the Concave Cut from Richard Homer. it was a beautiful stone, but not quite the size i wanted and, even though i've never seen a Richard Homer concave cut in person, i just dont think that cut is for me for an engagement ring.

TL - i've never considered any colored metal besides platinum/white gold mostly because i've always only worn silver jewelry. i bounced around the rose gold metal idea for a little bit but decided that was a little too "trendy" right now with all the rose gold halos out there - i didnt want it to go out of style! however, in keeping up with Chrono's ring journey, i dont think that having a different colored metal crown would be so bad. I mean, the crown will be on full display - do you happen to have any pictures of a single stone solitaire with a different metal crown that you could share? i probably wouldnt do yellow gold because i would prefer to not bring out the yellow in the green color of the stone. i will take a picture of the stone on a penny a you suggested.

thanks again to everyone for the input!!

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock

Wow great choice the round looks much bigger to me and I am sure you will appreciate the size:) congrats!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Very pretty

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

Starzin - i nixed the Concave Cut from Richard Homer. it was a beautiful stone, but not quite the size i wanted and, even though i've never seen a Richard Homer concave cut in person, i just dont think that cut is for me for an engagement ring.

Probably a wise choice, concave cuts are a distinct look. The main thing is what you have already described - that your eye goes to the round - and well done! You have the stone in hand and thus only you can really decide.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

A quick look brought up this - maybe it will give you an idea. I have to go out but use Google images to see if you can find something similar.

_21862.jpg

GregS

Brilliant_Rock

I prefer the cushion.

S

SparkliesLuver

I was a bit torn at first as well, but then I stepped back and thought a little more about your situation.

-Both are cut by Andrew
-Both are VVS
-The round is about 1.2mm wider, so if size is at all important
-Not sure if treatment of any kind is important, because the cushion isn't treated at all
-You're really the only one who can tell color

Congrats on making your decision - I'm sure it feels good. :) Look forward to hearing more about the setting.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock

Congrats and I like your choice!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Congrats on your new stone. I have 2 toned settings for a 3 stone ring but none for a solitaire.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results