shape
carat
color
clarity

They butchered my ring.. =(

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kissingfish

Rough_Rock
Oh Woe.. Woe is me..

I went to view my ring all set up as I was excited to pick it up..
It's shiny, I'll give them that..

But honestly.. As a professional jeweler, how can they sell imperfect rings?

My ring has several angles that I would have liked for them to match up, and they didn't..
You can see the sketches of the ring here.

First of all, the center diamond is not centered.. Albeit hardly noticing, you can tell that the point of the diamond is not lined up with the bar beneath it..

However, I was willing to overlook this, but the side diamonds do not match up AT ALL..
One is fine, it's at the perfect angle and the spaces that run down are just as I wanted them..

The other side, the side diamond is on a completly different angle, and the groove goes from thick on top and opens up on a really odd angle toward the bottom..

I'm so unhappy.. So very unhappy..
I was looking forward to seeing this ring and all my hopes have been crushed.

They took the ring and they're going to fix the angle.. Or so they say.

She tried to give me the story that the ring is hand made and thus will not be perfect..
Well that's fine.. But it doesn't have to be so obviously atrocious..

Sigh..

They said they won't have it done 'till late February..

They better have it ready.. I'll be so upset.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/19/2006 11:02:16 PM
Author:Kissingfish
Oh Woe.. Woe is me..

I went to view my ring all set up as I was excited to pick it up..
It''s shiny, I''ll give them that..

But honestly.. As a professional jeweler, how can they sell imperfect rings?

My ring has several angles that I would have liked for them to match up, and they didn''t..
You can see the sketches of the ring here:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/its-finally-happening-ive-sketches-of-the-ring.53729/

First of all, the center diamond is not centered.. Albeit hardly noticing, you can tell that the point of the diamond is not lined up with the bar beneath it..

However, I was willing to overlook this, but the side diamonds do not match up AT ALL..
One is fine, it''s at the perfect angle and the spaces that run down are just as I wanted them..

The other side, the side diamond is on a completly different angle, and the groove goes from thick on top and opens up on a really odd angle toward the bottom..

I''m so unhappy.. So very unhappy..
I was looking forward to seeing this ring and all my hopes have been crushed.

They took the ring and they''re going to fix the angle.. Or so they say.

She tried to give me the story that the ring is hand made and thus will not be perfect..
Well that''s fine.. But it doesn''t have to be so obviously atrocious..

Sigh..

They said they won''t have it done ''till late February..

They better have it ready.. I''ll be so upset.
late feb!!! oh man, that really sucks
7.gif
I can tell you are not high on their priority list - you''ve been shoved until after valentine''s day - they have to make happy the poor fools who''ve not yet given them their money!!! I''m so sorry
7.gif

It doesn''t have to be perfect under a loupe like the perfect rings you see on designer sites - but things you can see with the naked eye??? oh yeah, those are problems!!!! Any way you can tell them to kiss your butt and give you back your stone? I would NOT settle for late feb I can give you that... the sketches are from just like 3-4 weeks ago... I''d give them a deadline.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry! And you would think that they could repair the ring a bit faster than two months!

Kissingfish

Rough_Rock
They''d want to..

I have not yet paid for it though -- only put in a $500 deposit..
I would hate to have to take it elsewhere, but will if forced to..

gail013

Shiny_Rock
Kissingfish, I do not think this is acceptable-this two month delay. Are they using your diamond, or is it theirs? Also, weren''t you trying to copy a setting you had seen elsewhere-I am wondering if you would be better off just going thru that designer.

I can''t believe they would show you a ring that was off-center, that is just poor business practice-I feel so bad for you.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
late feb??? I''d get a refund and go somewhere else where you know the standard for a custom piece is high. I would not accept late feb for a competion date
38.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe you should see if Pearlmans will make it.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Why should it take longer to fix it then to make the original ring? If you can''t see the alterations, repairs, or fixes when you next examine it, I''d be surprised unless the entire ring is made over correctly and more carefully on a second try. I would not suggest accepting a "fix" if what you say is wrong cannot be invisibly altered to correctness.

The time element seems extreme without a good explanation.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
This sounds like an EXCUSE for what you really wanted, and perhaps you need to consider telling the guy "Youre Fired".

Patch up jobs, are NOT going to make you pleased and waiting extra time I don''t think was part of the benefit of the bargain here.

No sense paying good money for an "excuse"!

Rockdoc

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
I just looked at your sketches. It''s a modern style ring, a clean design that shouldn''t be crooked.
There are lots of handmade rings here on PS and most of them aren''t crooked.

Kissingfish

Rough_Rock
Hi all.. And thanks for your supportive replies..
I spoke with them today and their reason is that their jewelers will be on leave until late January.. Which I''m sure it''s a lie, as January would be their busiest month (what with valentines day approaching and all)..

I will speak with the manager today and, should their reasons for the ring not be done properly be not good enough, I will expect a full refund..

Of course.. Whether I will get this or not is another issue.. :/

:)

Brilliant_Rock
38.gif
I am so sorry...
39.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So so sorry. Good luck with the refund.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Your sketch appears to be quite a nice design with little in the way of making it impossible to create. Someone surely can do a better job for you. Getting atthe stones angled right and set at the right heights does take a good deal of skill and care, but it is not a mission impossible.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A jeweler on vacation from a few weeks before Christmas until New Years? I suppose different areas have different seasonality but where I’ve worked, no one EVER gets that particular block of vacation time. You’re getting a snow job because he already got your money and the jeweler is wanting to spend his time and resources making sales to other customers during the busy Christmas season. Waiting until after Valentines day is just putting you off until he thinks he’ll have some free time to deal with it.

Depending on how it was made, a fix may be possible but this is not an easy job and it may involve replacing some major components. Ask them to explain what they plan to do to fix the problem.

This is not a simple piece to make but that's no reason that you should be expected to accept second rate work. If their bench worker isn't up to the task, it's up the jeweler to find someone else who is. That's what you're paying them for.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

diamondhunter10

Shiny_Rock
There has to be some recourse for this disasaster. I would get a refund ASAP, and spend the time to get what you want with another vendor?
My heart goes out to you and I hope that it will work out for you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results