shape
carat
color
clarity

There's Always Time For Colored Stones - latest acquisition

BaileyC

Rough_Rock
Good morning PSers!

It’s a beautiful morning and my roses are in bloom, but more importantly, my latest acquisition has arrived and I’m so excited!

My newest piece, and likely to be my last this year (self ban :(sad )…well, maybe my second to last. Heh. :cheeky:

Anyway, this ruby piece was purchased as a kind of replacement for another ruby ring that, well, didn’t go so well :doh:. This time I bought from a reputable dealer and can feel confident in what I received.

My first love in the jewelry world was watches, and while I have a pretty decent collection (some with and some without diamonds, various colors, etc), I didn’t have one that was vintage, nor one with colored stones. So why not rectify both of those omissions at once? :bigsmile:

This is a period timepiece from the 40s (retro), set in white gold with .50cts diamonds and 4.25cts of cabochon and square cut shiny red rubies! It’s a manual drivers watch, with a rotating watch head so that the viewing angle can be adjusted and seen easily while my hand is on the steering wheel. The watch head can rotate fully around to hide the face if desired, and allow the watch to be worn as a bracelet. I think it’s rather unique and cool looking, and best of all it goes with my other ruby pieces quite well! I love whacky and unusual pieces, and this certainly qualifies!

Here are some photos:
retrowatch_offhand.jpg
retrowatch_onhand1.jpg
retrowatch_onhand2.jpg

BaileyC

Rough_Rock
Re: There's Always Time For Colored Stones - latest acquisit

Here are some photos that include my other ruby pieces from the 40s, including a diamond and ruby bow tie ring that has a spinning center showing one side with rubies, and the other with diamonds. The bracelet you’ve seen before!

retroset2.jpg

retroset1.jpg

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

Ooh I love it! It looks lovely on you!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ah, what a fabulous new addition. It looks great on you!

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Thanks for sharing - wonderful pieces of jewellery. Love the watch. I'm sorry your last purchase didn't turn out as hoped but you got an amazing replacement. Congratulations! More pictures please. :appl:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

nice watch! Honestly it looks very modern, it doesn't really show its age IMO.

BaileyC

Rough_Rock

Aww, thanks ricezo, Acinom, Poodles4me, and Arcadian!

It isn’t without a little grief though, as the new piece does have some issues. The clasp is really wonky, and even with the safety chain, I’m worried it will fail at the wrong time. It doesn’t really “latch” very securely, and it doesn’t take much at all for it to come apart. Enough force on the safety chain and it would easily fall from the wrist - they are thin chains. The nature of the clasp would make it hard to fix the problem, I think. I could probably put a different safety latch on it - one more secure.

But to boot, the timepiece is losing just shy of four minutes every 6-8 hours, which is REALLY frustrating. It’s an old timepiece, so even if I send it back for repair, it could happen again. There's a 6 mos warranty on it, but I expect it would need repair now and again through the years and I wonder how difficult it would be to find someone qualified, and the necessary parts to fix something that old. But people keep vintage watches all the time, so maybe it isn't as difficult as I might think?

A good clasp is key to any piece of jewelry, and well, accurate time is essential for any timepiece. So I’m struggling with what to do as it is so beautiful, unique, and the style is really right up my alley.

ARGHHH! :wall:

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

It is beautiful, unique but fits very well into your current collection. :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results