shape
carat
color
clarity

There's a humming bird nest in front of my garage

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
About an hour ago a male ruby-throated hummingbird flew up to me as I stood just outside my door, looked me over, then flew over to the feeder 6 feet away, and drank while I watched him. I had just changed the nectar earlier today,

Whenever I'm lax on refreshing the feeder outside the dining room window, they hang in front of the window and chirp at me. They'll also land on the feeder as I'm trying to hang it back up so I have to stand there like a statue until they're done. They are cheeky birds :kiss2:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's why smart photographers don't take macro pics of birdies in a nest in a tree when it's very windy. :doh:LOL

Sorry, :cry2:
I'll try again when this wind dies down.
Of the 12 pics I took this was the only only worth posting - and that's only for its humor value.
BTW, I'm starting to see purdy iridescent green on one of them, likely a male ... or maybe it's just the older one.

The scene reminds me of two cherub angels singing praises to heaven in an old painting.

600.png

Last edited:

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Hark, the herald angels sing!

Too cute. They're finally starting to look like fuzzball instead of teeny porcupines.

Thanks so much for sharing.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wind died down.

The green has been visible for only a day or two.
Looks like eyelashes are starting to grow.

4_29.png

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Epilog.
Well, the time has come to wave our little feather-babies goodbye. :wavey:
They have fledged, and are off to start their little birdie lives.
I'm very grateful they've permitted me to capture and share their little miracle with others.

One last link, a pic, and finally a 2 minute video of our little humming family ...
As I mentioned earlier, I managed to get closer and closer every day so mama and her kids got used to me.

The below video was taken with the front of the camera lens only a foot away from the nest.
Clearly mama and the babies ignored me and just got on with their business.
Keep watching the video after mama flies away.

What a joy this has been! :dance:

I believe this species is called the "Anna's" Hummingbird.
Scroll down and you'll see a pic of the female.
I think it's a perfect match for the mama in my video.

4424.png

Notice at 0:56 the left chick starts to raise up its butt.
At 1:00, when its butt clears the rim of the nest, it poops, shooting off to the right.
Don't blink, it happens fast.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lastly, we've notice other humming birds have wasted no time stealing pieces of the now-empty nest.
Presumably they are building their own nest and saving time by stealing the choice items.

Who knows? Maybe our mama stole them too. :Up_to_something:
Hmmmm.

If I find the time, I'll try to get a pic of the ripped-apart nest tomorrow, while there's anything left.

Last edited:

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
I bet you'll miss seeing them every day & watching them grow & fledge, but what a joy to have been able to enjoy a part of nature right outside your door=)2

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a great documentary of the nest and babies, Kenny!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's amazing how quickly they matured! Not surprising, I suppose, since they do everything at warp speed. That video is such a treat. I loved watching mama feed her kiddos, the flapping, and even the pooping. I wonder if they were taught to aim outside the nest or if the instinct for that is built in at birth?

Such amazing, wondrous creatures. Nice work approaching them carefully and respectfully, building trust, and capturing some very special images.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, amazing! Fantastic pics and video! I bet you're going to miss them. Thank you for sharing this kenny, I really enjoyed it.

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
@kenny this video is incredible! So crisp and colorful.
Love watching the baby tasting the air and conducting wing drills.
Thanks so much for sharing.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wonderful video! Thanks so much for sharing it all with us!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww.
Thank you Matata.

What a magical and beautiful thing!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results