shape
carat
color
clarity

Theme parks in LA

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Hi peeps...

we are in the initial stages of planning a trip to USA in dec 2020/jan2021, with 4 kids in tow. (3-9yo)

we are going to hit the theme parks - universal studios and Disneyland.
Any specials or how to get cheap tickets into the theme parks? With 6 of us, I couldn’t see any special rates.

hoping to get an insight from local LA/ CA peeps or those that frequent these places...

thanx!!
Ps there may be a PS GTG in between then, too!
We are staying at most a week during that time... most likely in jan 2021z

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Hi Greg,
I live in Orange County (home of Disneyland CA). Did a little research and you can probably get discounted tickets for universal studios if you are a Costco member, or go on Target .com. I would also suggest Legoland as an alternative to the 2 parks you were planning. Legoland is in Carlsbad, CA and great for kiddos in your age range. Aquarium of the pacific in Long Beach, is also a great family venue! let me know if you have any more
Questions.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Hi Greg,
I live in Orange County (home of Disneyland CA). Did a little research and you can probably get discounted tickets for universal studios if you are a Costco member, or go on Target .com. I would also suggest Legoland as an alternative to the 2 parks you were planning. Legoland is in Carlsbad, CA and great for kiddos in your age range. Aquarium of the pacific in Long Beach, is also a great family venue! let me know if you have any more
Questions.

thanx!!! Will def check them out too!!

eh613c

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi @gregchang35 I used to work at the “happiest place on earth.” The range of dates you mentioned is a busy time especially Dec2020. Many love to go in Dec to see the holiday decorations, holiday parades and entertainment. The week after the new year is when it is a little bit slow but that is also the time they close down a few rides for a few weeks for their annual maintenance. As for tickets, Disney has a date based pricing where ticket price is higher during the busy season and a tad bit lower (maybe $20 less) if not as busy. I believe that is the same for Universal studios. Many opt for the multiple day tickets because you don’t feel rushed to see everything in one day and the ticket price per day is lower. Disney has it down when it comes to customer service and experience so I’m sure you’ll lots of fun and memories.

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
Unless you, personally, really want to go, consider skipping Universal. It’s geared for a slightly older audience. I took my teen and she loved it but pretty sure she would have hated it when she was under 10. Also, not many rides for younger children, and there are height minimums for most of the rides. Very disappointing for a child who is slightly short of the minimum. That said, if you do go, consider paying extra for the tickets that put you at the front of the line. Worth every penny.

Multiple days at Disney is nice. If you can swing it, stay on the property. Even when a hotel is close by, there is something about being right on the property that makes it psychologically easier to go to the hotel for a short break and then go back into the park.

If you’re going a little further south, LEGO land is much more geared toward children under 10. Same teen was less impressed with LEGO land, but I’m quite certain she would have liked it more when she was younger. My nephews (6 and 8) love the place.

If you are interested in heading to San Diego, the zoo, the wild animal park and Sea World are all great for animal lovers. Visiting zoos on another continent is a really fun experience because you can see species that you would never see at zoos in your home country.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your family is up to four budding jewelry lovers now? Congratulations!

I’d second planning to spend time in the San Diego area, home of the San Diego zoo, wild animal park, sea world, and LEGO land.

eh613c

Shiny_Rock
Premium
San Diego is great for family vacations. We’ve taken our boys to the USS Midway, Birch Aquarium, Belmont Park and the children museum. Unlike LA, the attractions are close to each other.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Hi @gregchang35 I used to work at the “happiest place on earth.” The range of dates you mentioned is a busy time especially Dec2020. Many love to go in Dec to see the holiday decorations, holiday parades and entertainment. The week after the new year is when it is a little bit slow but that is also the time they close down a few rides for a few weeks for their annual maintenance. As for tickets, Disney has a date based pricing where ticket price is higher during the busy season and a tad bit lower (maybe $20 less) if not as busy. I believe that is the same for Universal studios. Many opt for the multiple day tickets because you don’t feel rushed to see everything in one day and the ticket price per day is lower. Disney has it down when it comes to customer service and experience so I’m sure you’ll lots of fun and memories.

thanx so much for this!!!!!!!
Thanx!! Some excellent points to reconsider with universal- we were planning on this cos of Harry Potter.... the twins also like the movies but the height restrictions are going to be an issue and it would be $$ to enter park and not go on the rides

Unless you, personally, really want to go, consider skipping Universal. It’s geared for a slightly older audience. I took my teen and she loved it but pretty sure she would have hated it when she was under 10. Also, not many rides for younger children, and there are height minimums for most of the rides. Very disappointing for a child who is slightly short of the minimum. That said, if you do go, consider paying extra for the tickets that put you at the front of the line. Worth every penny.

Multiple days at Disney is nice. If you can swing it, stay on the property. Even when a hotel is close by, there is something about being right on the property that makes it psychologically easier to go to the hotel for a short break and then go back into the park.

If you’re going a little further south, LEGO land is much more geared toward children under 10. Same teen was less impressed with LEGO land, but I’m quite certain she would have liked it more when she was younger. My nephews (6 and 8) love the place.

If you are interested in heading to San Diego, the zoo, the wild animal park and Sea World are all great for animal lovers. Visiting zoos on another continent is a really fun experience because you can see species that you would never see at zoos in your home country.

excellent suggestion on SD.... will see if it would fit into schedule....Maybe another USA trip in the futuir

Your family is up to four budding jewelry lovers now? Congratulations!

I’d second planning to spend time in the San Diego area, home of the San Diego zoo, wild animal park, sea world, and LEGO land.

Thanx...yes- 4 now... and I can tell with the twins that we have an additional 2 strong and independent ladies in our home... the older teins we knew when she was born she was quite forward.... and the younger twin, isn’t he last month, she has started to find her voice....so, yes -a total of 4 strong individuals that we have to raise.... lololol...

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going to say the same thing, I'd paid more for the express or fast lane tickets at Disneyland (so you don't have to stand in line with 4 small kids for 1 to 2 hours per ride if it's really busy there) rather than taking them to Universal where they are too young and too small yet to go on a lot of the rides.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you make it to Legoland you might want to stop by GIA's nearby Carlsbad facility.
They have a wonderful gem museum and book store.
Their location on a bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean is spectacular - I think you can have lunch there too.

Sorry, I can't help with kid-friendly suggetions since I'm the polar opposite of a kid person.

Of course in San Diego there's Sea World - the only thing resembling an amusement park that I thoroughly enjoyed.
Balboa Park is spectacular too - see if you can catch a free outdoor concert on the Spreckels Pipe Organ Pavilion:

Kidwise Balboa Park has an international thingie which I think kids might get a kick out of.
It's a large ring of little cottages, each representing the culture of various countries.
Attendance is also free.

"Housed in historic 1935 Exposition cottages, 34 groups promote multicultural goodwill and understanding through educational and cultural programs. Open Houses: noon-5:00 p.m. every Saturday and Sunday, showcase the national traditions from many lands. "

(Check first since Trump may have burned this, and all those bad hombres, to the ground.)

Balboa Park also has a mineral and gem museum, again free.
Free is nice, since those commercial parks will bankrupt you.
I think they even forbid smuggling in your own drinking water. :roll:

The goal of the San Diego Mineral and Gem Societies' Museum is to help people gain a better understanding and appreciation of minerals, gems, fossils and the lapidary arts. Our museum is located in the San Diego Mineral & Gem Society building adjacent to the Spanish Village Art Center at Balboa Park, San Diego, California. The Museum features many fine mineral, gem, lapidary and fossil specimens from around the world. The collection has been assembled over the last 75 years through purchases and donations. Admission to the Museum is free.

Prepare yourself for So. Calif's nightmare traffic congestion.
Our morning and evening rush hours are 5 hours each.

Last edited:

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I was going to say the same thing, I'd paid more for the express or fast lane tickets at Disneyland (so you don't have to stand in line with 4 small kids for 1 to 2 hours per ride if it's really busy there) rather than taking them to Universal where they are too young and too small yet to go on a lot of the rides.

Disneyland doesn’t have that option. You get fast passes for rides but don’t pay extra for them. It’s like a dining reservation.

eh613c

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Disneyland doesn’t have that option. You get fast passes for rides but don’t pay extra for them. It’s like a dining reservation.

Actually, Disneyland now offers MaxPass that allows you to get fast pass through your mobile device instead of physically going from one end of the park to the other. It also allows you to download as many photos you take with photo pass cast members. I think it’s $15 dollars/day.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Actually, Disneyland now offers MaxPass that allows you to get fast pass through your mobile device instead of physically going from one end of the park to the other. It also allows you to download as many photos you take with photo pass cast members. I think it’s $15 dollars/day.

Correct, but it’s not like the passes they sell at Six Flags etc. that you pay extra up front in order to be able to skip in line whenever you want. MaxPass just allows you to book your passes (like a reservation) on your phone instead of actually grabbing it from the machine. Just wanted to make sure OP was aware since it was suggested they buy one.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results