carat
color
clarity

The Zircon thread

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Question for the zircon experts:

Has anyone seen this color? Kind of a burnt orange. Really lovely -- almost a '70s appliance vibe! It's pretty big -- about 7 cts. Not even sure what I could do with it but I saw it in a shop and it caught my eye. Sorry for the truly terrible photo but the hue is about right.

Can I assume that this is untreated? They say it is but there is no report. Will any of the big US labs comment on treatment for zircon?

Screen Shot 2022-08-28 at 10.47.58 PM.png

A lot zircon is heated, but heated at a very low temperature. The honey brown zircon form Tanzania will heat to oranges and yellow stones. I don't think a lab could detect the heating as it's done as such a low temperature. Many people just hold the stone with tweezers over a candle flame to heat them. You can watch them change color, it only takes a few minutes.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Question for the zircon experts:

Has anyone seen this color? Kind of a burnt orange. Really lovely -- almost a '70s appliance vibe! It's pretty big -- about 7 cts. Not even sure what I could do with it but I saw it in a shop and it caught my eye. Sorry for the truly terrible photo but the hue is about right.

Can I assume that this is untreated? They say it is but there is no report. Will any of the big US labs comment on treatment for zircon?

Screen Shot 2022-08-28 at 10.47.58 PM.png

I’ve been eyeing a few in this color range! I looove this!

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Any way to know if this is treated...? I mean not by looking at the photo but by lab report?

Not really. Quite a few of these are not but many are. Pure oranges normally are not and they can be a tad sleepy.

As Gene wrote, it does not take much to heat these. Just no way to know for sure.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pure oranges normally are not and they can be a tad sleepy.

You know, that may be the case with this one. Photo does not show it since I'm shooting thru the gem jar (just to keep a reminder on my phone) and anything will look like garbage that way.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some more of the pink zircon. It has blue sparks, but again having hard time photographing them. It’s getting set with two large white zircon, also from Vance gems. 2F492E97-DAE5-4139-84E0-3DFE7046E098.jpeg 82153194-DBBE-4158-A166-B7AF138415B3.jpeg

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Awesome stone! Be careful…

Reactions: T L
Are they dangerous...?

chukka.gif
I had been dying to use the nunchuck emoji, so thank you for the opportunity! Certain varieties of zircon, especially green, can contain thorium and/or uranium, which may result in a detectable amount of radioactivity with a survey meter. However, it wouldn't be at levels that would pose a risk to human health. So we need not worry about growing a 3rd nad (or a 1st one, in my case!).

I might have posted them already, however, I still have 2 blue Zircons waiting to be set, both cut by Jeff W:

A windmill 7.04ct, 9.25 x 9.25mm, this is likely to be the next one to be set:

JW_BlueAsscherZircon_7.04ct_9.25x9.25mm.jpg

A cushion to be set in a 3-stone with pink Spinels in the same cut, the Zircon is 3.84ct, 7.41 x 7.41mm, the pink Spinels are about 4mm:

Zircon and spinels after.jpg

DK :))

I need to see these guys set immediately, if not sooner. I'm salivating over this combo... :drool:

landscape

Shiny_Rock
Are they dangerous...?

Gem-grade zircon is generally high-type zircon, which no radioactive, because radioactive zircon crystals will be very bad(Radioactivity destroys zircon crystals) and cannot be used as gems. Using Geiger Counter to test the radiation value of Gem-grade zircon, compared with the radiation value of the surrounding natural environment, there is no increase, indicating that the radiation value of zircon can be ignored. So no dangerous
Colors cannot distinguish high-type or low-type, they can be distinguished by the refractive index, the refractive index of high-type zircon is higher than 1.9, and the refractive index of low-type zircon is lower than 1.8
a.jpg

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zircon tends to be brittle and have facet abrasion, so yes, I will be careful. I do not plan on wearing it very often. It’s a rare shade of zircon and I want it to last. It’s made it billions of years thus far, so I hope it has further longevity, lol!

Gem-grade zircon is generally high-type zircon, which no radioactive, because radioactive zircon crystals will be very bad(Radioactivity destroys zircon crystals) and cannot be used as gems. Using Geiger Counter to test the radiation value of Gem-grade zircon, compared with the radiation value of the surrounding natural environment, there is no increase, indicating that the radiation value of zircon can be ignored. So no dangerous
Colors cannot distinguish high-type or low-type, they can be distinguished by the refractive index, the refractive index of high-type zircon is higher than 1.9, and the refractive index of low-type zircon is lower than 1.8
a.jpg

Can I just say I love that you have a geiger counter at the ready for just this occasion. You're amazing!

This immediately made me think of Egon's P.K.E. meter.

following-egon.gif

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
ECDDD665-BA53-48B1-BAC7-9A2D09FAFB94.jpeg

Thank you so much, @Mreader ❤️
I love everything about it - the large culet size, the setting, the way it lights up with every movement…I think it’ll be awesome as a bracelet. I’m so glad you like it so- thanks again! Here’s a profile shot…

0459B1C6-3A8D-4752-AEE6-F11E97CDAEA3.jpeg

Can it be a hair barrette??

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
Can it be a hair barrette??

I was thinking the same thing because I have also considered that mine would be a perfect hair barrette - an antique 18k gold blue and white zircon hair barrette isn’t too much for everyday is it?? :)

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
3 zircon crystals, location not known by the seller, but I'm betting Tanzania for the colour and crystal forms:
Zircon crystals Tanzania (presumed location).JPG

Could be Tanzanian. Sri Lanka produces red Zircon too.

Hey guys - Is orange zircon always heated or does it occur naturally as well? I wanted to add zircon to my collection, and thought the orange might be a nice option. But I don't typically buy treated gems. TIA!

I have looked into orange zircon treatments a bit more... it seems many of the deeper brownish-orange stones are untreated. But the more vibrant, purer oranges seem to have been heated.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results