shape
carat
color
clarity

The worst parenting EVER

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deb and Lisa,
I was traumatized at age 9 by the movie the Gremlins (that is when they started the PG-13 because other kids were traumatized because of that movie and it being inappropriate for kids). Also, my mom took my sister, cousin and I to see Return to OZ and that scared the crap at of me too. It is funny to me now that those things scared me but when I was little I thought they were the scariest and gave me nightmares!!! Heck I didn't even see the Exorcist but a classmate told me about the Exorcist in 3rd grade and every night I was saying my prayers so I wouldn't be possessed (I was that scared)!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, Skippy and Lisa-

I just saw we''re in Hangout. I told CJ to keep posting to Around The World. Isn''t it nice that I don''t know where I am? I was wondering what brought you two nice ladies to Around The World! It turns out I''m not there. I just had a birthday. It was one too many. I am obviously getting senile ;-).

Deb
34.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2009 9:31:51 PM
Author: Skippy123
Deb and Lisa,
I was traumatized at age 9 by the movie the Gremlins (that is when they started the PG-13 because other kids were traumatized because of that movie and it being inappropriate for kids). Also, my mom took my sister, cousin and I to see Return to OZ and that scared the crap at of me too. It is funny to me now that those things scared me but when I was little I thought they were the scariest and gave me nightmares!!! Heck I didn''t even see the Exorcist but a classmate told me about the Exorcist in 3rd grade and every night I was saying my prayers so I wouldn''t be possessed (I was that scared)!
My brother took me to see the Exorcist. He made me lie to my parents that we were going to see Tommy, the pin ball wizard... Oh didn''t sleep a wink after that movie. My parents knew what was up. My brother got in a heap of trouble after that.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2009 9:43:22 PM
Author: AGBF

Hi, Skippy and Lisa-

I just saw we''re in Hangout. I told CJ to keep posting to Around The World. Isn''t it nice that I don''t know where I am? I was wondering what brought you two nice ladies to Around The World! It turns out I''m not there. I just had a birthday. It was one too many. I am obviously getting senile ;-).

Deb
34.gif
Happy Birthday Deb.
35.gif
I hope your birthday was as fabulous as YOU are. HUGS!!!

You are far from being senile woman!!! I''ll let you know once you start slipping, hehe.
31.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
style="WIDTH: 99%; HEIGHT: 103px">
Date:
2/14/2009 9:45:16 PM
Author: Kaleigh

My brother took me to see the Exorcist. He made me lie to my parents that we were going to see Tommy, the pin ball wizard... Oh didn''t sleep a wink after that movie. My parents knew what was up. My brother got in a heap of trouble after that.

I was in love with a celibate, religious, gay, Catholic man when "The Exorcist" came out. He took me to see it. Then I made him spend the night in the apartment I shared with another woman. I refused to go to my (single) bed alone, so we slept on the living room couch together and drank a bottle of wine. I was jumping for weeks after that. He really believed in exorcisms although he told me that the Catholic Church did them extremely rarely and only after the most intense investigation!!! Still! Not what I needed to hear after that darned movie!

Deborah
34.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
36.gif

Date: 2/14/2009 9:51:09 PM

Date: 2/14/2009 9:43:22 PM

Hi, Skippy and Lisa-

Deb
34.gif
Happy Birthday Deb.
35.gif
I hope your birthday was as fabulous as YOU are. HUGS!!!

You are far from being senile woman!!! I''ll let you know once you start slipping, hehe.
31.gif
Happy Birthday from me too!!!
emotion-19.gif
36.gif
Hope it was a wonderful day, sending you my love!!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2009 9:51:58 PM

style="WIDTH: 99%; HEIGHT: 103px">
Date:
2/14/2009 9:45:16 PM

My brother took me to see the Exorcist. He made me lie to my parents that we were going to see Tommy, the pin ball wizard... Oh didn't sleep a wink after that movie. My parents knew what was up. My brother got in a heap of trouble after that.

I was in love with a celibate, religious, gay, Catholic man when 'The Exorcist' came out. He took me to see it. Then I made him spend the night in the apartment I shared with another woman. I refused to go to my (single) bed alone, so we slept on the living room couch together and drank a bottle of wine. I was jumping for weeks after that. He really believed in exorcisms although he told me that the Catholic Church did them extremely rarely and only after the most intense investigation!!! Still! Not what I needed to hear after that darned movie!

Deborah
34.gif
That was a super scary movie; I couldn't watch it until I was in my twenties because I *knew* what it was about and knew that was to scary for me to see, (hence nightmares).
32.gif
eta: Kaleigh I could see your brother being in a huge amount of trouble for that!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was twelve. I ran out of the theater SCREAMING.

The movie?

Cocoon.

Seriously.

Shocked the heck out of my mother. Sometimes, even diligent overprotective parents (like mine) can''t protect their children from trauma. My stomach still clenches at the thought of the movie. Yes. Cocoon. The old people movie. With the aliens (for the record it was the aliens not the old people that freaked me out). Yes, the nice glowing light aliens. SCREAMING.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2009 12:01:12 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Date: 2/14/2009 11:05:54 AM
Author: risingsun

Date: 2/14/2009 10:36:27 AM
Author: Sha

How are children getting into an R-rated movie, anyway? Doesn't the cinema has restrictions on who it allows to see certain movies? This is an issue we're dealign with at our local cinema - because parents are bringing in babies and other young children to see very explicit movies filled with violence and sexual content. A lot of these parents are single mothers who, I guess, can't afford or don't want to get a babysitter for the night, so they make their children tag along. People are saying that if parents don't have any standards, then the cinema has to set standards for them - and that the children should be refused entry to certain movies, even if they come along with their parents. I'm sure a lot of parents would get the message if that happened a few times.
Well said!
Ditto! If this was an R movie and the theater let them in, then write a letter to the editor. I think that is really unacceptable that the theater did not stop this.

Do we not get a connection that exposing kids to all this extreme violence results in some kids who end up so desensitized to it that they resort to violence themselves? And others, as Marian mentioned, may have emotional problems because of it. I honestly think people have lost their minds. I wouldn't even take my 13 year old to an R rated movie. In fact, I see very few myself!
Ditto.

I agree that this isn't the worse parenting ever but it is inappropriate parenting.

I saw something today that made me think of this thread.

Today I was appalled to see a woman (mother?) holding a young baby (6 months old?) in the back seat of the car! As we pulled up next to the car, my DH and I took a closer look. The woman was smiling and playing with the baby. Baby was moving around and playing in the woman's arms. I couldn't believe what I was seeing! THERE WAS A CARSEAT IN THE BACK SEAT AND THE BABY WAS NOT IN IT! I was appalled! I was in disbelief! I felt so sad and MAD!
29.gif
I wanted to report them but I didn't know who to call.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/14/2009 9:24:25 PM

Date:
2/14/2009 12:24:59 PM
Author: CJ2008

There is no easy way to know how these kinds of movies affect children in the long run...so I think it''s a really dangerous assumption to think that because you used to watch them when you were little, and turned out OK, it must be OK...or that it''s no big deal because kids will ''live.'' I also think it''s dangerous to think that ''all children are different'' and therefore it''s fine to expose some kids to more

I also think that if for whatever reason your kid is exposed to these kinds of things, the very least you should do is have a discussion with them to talk about what they just saw.

People ''get through'' all kinds of things - doesn''t mean it doesn''t affect them on some level.

CJ, I think this is an extremely insightful and well-argued posting. I really appreciated reading it. I understand that some children are fine at horror movies. I think that the parents who are tuned in, know their kids, see that the kids love the films, and take them can be great parents. I commend you for pointing out that parents should take a look and make sure that their kids are enjoying the flicks, however!

Keep posting in Around The World!

Deborah
34.gif
Thanks, AG...

I just think it''s dangerous to assume - assumptions about anyone, whether it''s an adult, or a child, can get you in trouble. So what I''m trying to say is that while a child may appear to be "OK" with a certain movie, I think it''s good parenting to talk about the movie afterwards - to understand what they think they saw, explain any misconceptions they may have about it, and address any fears or whatever they may be thinking. Or to reinforce things like "violence is not OK" - it''s just an opportunity to talk.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2009 9:04:13 AM

Date:

There is no easy way to know how these kinds of movies affect children in the long run...so I think it''s a really dangerous assumption to think that because you used to watch them when you were little, and turned out OK, it must be OK...or that it''s no big deal because kids will ''live.'' I also think it''s dangerous to think that ''all children are different'' and therefore it''s fine to expose some kids to more

I also think that if for whatever reason your kid is exposed to these kinds of things, the very least you should do is have a discussion with them to talk about what they just saw.

People ''get through'' all kinds of things - doesn''t mean it doesn''t affect them on some level.

CJ, I think this is an extremely insightful and well-argued posting. I really appreciated reading it. I understand that some children are fine at horror movies. I think that the parents who are tuned in, know their kids, see that the kids love the films, and take them can be great parents. I commend you for pointing out that parents should take a look and make sure that their kids are enjoying the flicks, however!

Deborah

34.gif

Thanks, AG...

I just think it''s dangerous to assume - assumptions about anyone, whether it''s an adult, or a child, can get you in trouble. So what I''m trying to say is that while a child may appear to be ''OK'' with a certain movie, I think it''s good parenting to talk about the movie afterwards - to understand what they think they saw, explain any misconceptions they may have about it, and address any fears or whatever they may be thinking. Or to reinforce things like ''violence is not OK'' - it''s just an opportunity to talk.

I agree wholeheartedly with this statement if the child is old enough to understand, but at 3 or 5, is a child really going to "get it" if/when the parent discusses the movie?

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/14/2009 11:21:13 PM
Author: Gypsy
I was twelve. I ran out of the theater SCREAMING.

The movie?

Cocoon.

Seriously.

Shocked the heck out of my mother. Sometimes, even diligent overprotective parents (like mine) can''t protect their children from trauma. My stomach still clenches at the thought of the movie. Yes. Cocoon. The old people movie. With the aliens (for the record it was the aliens not the old people that freaked me out). Yes, the nice glowing light aliens. SCREAMING.
oh gypsy! your recount had me laughing but good, but i hear ya - i was too embarrassed to post this initially but GHOSTBUSTERS and E.T. scared the ever-lovin'' crap out of me (at age 8!) and stayed with me for a couple of years at least. i laugh at myself now, but it was no joke to me then. and i had protective parents too (we left ghostbusters as they could see i was frozen stiff in my seat with fear). so imagine what movies like friday the 13th would have done to me? i still don''t watch movies like that, they disturb me on a level i cannot begin to describe. as an adult.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2009 9:45:16 PM
Date: 2/14/2009 9:31:51 PM

Author: Skippy123

Deb and Lisa,

I was traumatized at age 9 by the movie the Gremlins (that is when they started the PG-13 because other kids were traumatized because of that movie and it being inappropriate for kids). Also, my mom took my sister, cousin and I to see Return to OZ and that scared the crap at of me too. It is funny to me now that those things scared me but when I was little I thought they were the scariest and gave me nightmares!!! Heck I didn''t even see the Exorcist but a classmate told me about the Exorcist in 3rd grade and every night I was saying my prayers so I wouldn''t be possessed (I was that scared)!

Jurassic Park freaked me out beyond belief. For a solid six months, I hid under my covers every night to hide from the dinosaurs. I''d stay really still so the T-Rex wouldn''t see me move when it came, and I tried to avoid breathing too loudly because I didn''t want the raptors to hear me. I was 8, maybe? I also was scared to death by a Weekly World News cover that I saw in the line at the grocery store about Dracula''s brother coming back from the dead. I was sobbing when the sun started to set because I was certain he would find me.

I doubt my parents know about either of these, but my parents watched the movie before showing it to me, and definitely thought I would be able to handle it. I just didn''t have a grasp on the idea of science *fiction* yet.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/15/2009 9:10:08 AM
Author: steph72276

Date: 2/15/2009 9:04:13 AM

Date:

Deborah

34.gif

Thanks, AG...

I just think it''s dangerous to assume - assumptions about anyone, whether it''s an adult, or a child, can get you in trouble. So what I''m trying to say is that while a child may appear to be ''OK'' with a certain movie, I think it''s good parenting to talk about the movie afterwards - to understand what they think they saw, explain any misconceptions they may have about it, and address any fears or whatever they may be thinking. Or to reinforce things like ''violence is not OK'' - it''s just an opportunity to talk.

I agree wholeheartedly with this statement if the child is old enough to understand, but at 3 or 5, is a child really going to ''get it'' if/when the parent discusses the movie?
Well, don''t forget, I''m coming from a perspective that kids shouldn''t be exposed anyway.

The explanation/discussion would at the level the child can understand...but you''re right, I don''t know WHAT one could say to a child that young other than trying to explain that it''s people acting. Which, the more I think about it the more it points to the fact that children that young shouldn''t be exposed to adult things - if they can''t even really grasp that it''s "make believe" they shouldn''t be watching it in the first place.

But like others pointed out, it''s impossible to control everything they''re exposed to...so in those cases an attempt should be made to explain something, anything, rather than just assume the kid''s OK.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results