shape
carat
color
clarity

The Whole Story for Newbies

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

k-man

Rough_Rock
The Mission: Get a ring as close as possible to Tiffany’s Lucida

The Diamond Process:
To make a long story short, after extensive research, I ended up purchasing the diamond online from Whiteflash. The process moved quickly with them and overall it was a good experience. I received both a sarin report and an idealscope image from them with no problems at all. I live in Toronto ON and agreed to pick up the diamond from a FedEx holding station in Buffalo NY. This way, I would only be hit with the US – CDN exchange rate. If I had the diamond shipped to Canada, I would have had to pay a 10% excise tax plus 15% federal and provincial tax. So right off the bat I saved over 25% by only driving 1.5 hours!! Of course I was a little nervous at the border, but it was well worth the savings. In my package, Whiteflash had included a loupe too.
Once I received the diamond, I took it to EGL in Toronto to make sure what I was shipped matched the cert. I had EGL do a ‘pre-grading’ on the loose stone for $25.00 CDN and the result was identical to the GIA cert.

What I got (GIA Certified):
1.03 ct Princess Cut, VS1, H
Depth: 72.5%
Table: 73.5%
Girdle: Medium to Thick
Culet: None
Polish and Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: None
Cost: $3600 USD

The Setting Process:
I had asked around to several local jewelers who all said they could make the Lucida with no problem and that they had made several in the past. That being said, trust me when I say there are hundreds of variations of this setting – a lot of which just don’t look right. So it took me quite a while to narrow down my choices. Another thing that almost all the stores did was quote me a price around the $600 – 800 range. Then when I said “OK lets do it”, they re-quoted me a price of $950 and up! (I wanted 950 platinum with 5% ruthenium). Anyway, I ended up getting the setting done at a store in the Toronto Jewelry Mart. I was very hesitant because this place looks like a flea market. I decided to proceed though because the place I chose actually had a few Lucida settings in their showcase and they looked great. Also, I spoke with the owners for a very long time on numerous occasions and they seemed sincere and legit.
I had them custom make the setting, show me the wax mold before proceeding and set the diamond when it was completed. Adding to my stress, they said they needed the diamond overnight to set it. I reluctantly agreed but took the completed ring immediately to EGL again to have the full cert completed once I received it. They verified it was the original diamond and that it was in perfect condition still. This was a full cert this time and had a plot, replacement value, etc. It cost around $100 CDN.

OVERALL:
So overall here’s how it all breaks down for any newbies:

Diamond - $3600 USD (with the exchange rate at the time came to $4945.45 CDN)
Setting - $950 CDN (950 Plat with 5% Ruthenium – ring = 9.25 grams)
Pre grading cert - $26.75
Full Cert - $107.00

Final cost of ring & certs - $6029.20 CDN

Replacement value on Cert = $17,550.00 CDN (a bit excessive don’t you think?)

If you have any questions or want more details just drop me a line – I know how crazy this process can be … and although it was supposed to be a happy time I found myself nervous, stressed and untrusting the whole time! It’s unfortunate, but I’m glad the whole ordeal is over. Now I just have to propose!

Here are some photos too.

ps1.jpg

k-man

Rough_Rock
(Yes those are my fingers !)

ps2.jpg

k-man

Rough_Rock
One more ...

ps3.jpg

k-man

Rough_Rock
last one.

ps4.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very beautiful! I love the classic clean lines and the width of the band actually sets of the stone very nicely. I don't recall Tiffany's Lucida being so wide in the band...though I haven't seen it in a really long time so who knows.
2.gif

k-man

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all your kind words. I'll be sure to let you know how the proposal goes.

Any suggestions about what I should do about that inflated appraisal/replacement value? Can I ask an insurance company to insure it for less than that amount?

magna2

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous ring. Good luck with the proposal. As for your question regarding insuring for less than it is appraised, of course insurance companies will sell you a policy for less than the appraised value. They will never overinsure but if you under insure, than they wiew it as your lost. But since the appraised value is typically a lot higher than the purchase cost, this should present no problems to you. Find an agent that will work with you.

rodent.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 11/10/2003 9:44:20 AM k-man wrote:

Thanks for all your kind words. I'll be sure to let you know how the proposal goes.

Any suggestions about what I should do about that inflated appraisal/replacement value? Can I ask an insurance company to insure it for less than that amount?----------------

HUH? I guess you could...
6.gif

Stryking the above Q as is, what I most wanted to say is Best of Luck! After all, it may be hard to still be the main figure of the day (proposal or no proposal!) side-by-side with that nice little sparkler
9.gif

pulp_princess

Shiny_Rock
One and a half hours, really? I didn't know Buffalo was that close a driving distance. How fast were you driving??!!
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes most companies will allow you to insure under the appraisal amount. Or what you could do (what I would do !) is have the appraiser give you a more realistic number..tell them you don't want the appraisal inflated for retail purposes--that you want a realistic number. We've had people do this and it works out fine--our appraiser told us she wouldn't inflate for retail and our #'s were very realistic to what we paid.

1.gif
Good luck!

k-man

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 11/10/2003 1:02:35 PM pulp_princess wrote:

One and a half hours, really? I didn't know Buffalo was that close a driving distance. How fast were you driving??!!
2.gif
----------------

Yeah, I should have added I'm a bit of a lead foot and got through the borders with no line ups! Hmmmm ... smuggling diamonds and speeding ... the things you do for love!
love.gif

JC

Shiny_Rock
Nice ring! It's definitely a beauty. Congrats.

wavey.gif

charles

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 11/8/2003 1:57:25 PM k-man wrote:

The Diamond Process:

To make a long story short, after extensive research, I ended up purchasing the diamond online from Whiteflash. The process moved quickly with them and overall it was a good experience. I received both a sarin report and an idealscope image from them with no problems at all. I live in Toronto ON and agreed to pick up the diamond from a FedEx holding station in Buffalo NY. This way, I would only be hit with the US – CDN exchange rate. If I had the diamond shipped to Canada, I would have had to pay a 10% excise tax plus 15% federal and provincial tax. So right off the bat I saved over 25% by only driving 1.5 hours!! Of course I was a little nervous at the border, but it was well worth the savings. In my package, Whiteflash had included a loupe too.

Once I received the diamond, I took it to EGL in Toronto to make sure what I was shipped matched the cert. I had EGL do a ‘pre-grading’ on the loose stone for $25.00 CDN and the result was identical to the GIA cert.

What I got (GIA Certified):

1.03 ct Princess Cut, VS1, H

Depth: 72.5%

Table: 73.5%

Girdle: Medium to Thick

Culet: None

Polish and Symmetry: Very Good

Fluorescence: None

Cost: $3600 USD

The Setting Process:

I had asked around to several local jewelers who all said they could make the Lucida with no problem and that they had made several in the past. That being said, trust me when I say there are hundreds of variations of this setting – a lot of which just don’t look right. So it took me quite a while to narrow down my choices. Another thing that almost all the stores did was quote me a price around the $600 – 800 range. Then when I said “OK lets do it”, they re-quoted me a price of $950 and up! (I wanted 950 platinum with 5% ruthenium). Anyway, I ended up getting the setting done at a store in the Toronto Jewelry Mart. I was very hesitant because this place looks like a flea market. I decided to proceed though because the place I chose actually had a few Lucida settings in their showcase and they looked great. Also, I spoke with the owners for a very long time on numerous occasions and they seemed sincere and legit.

I had them custom make the setting, show me the wax mold before proceeding and set the diamond when it was completed. Adding to my stress, they said they needed the diamond overnight to set it. I reluctantly agreed but took the completed ring immediately to EGL again to have the full cert completed once I received it. They verified it was the original diamond and that it was in perfect condition still. This was a full cert this time and had a plot, replacement value, etc. It cost around $100 CDN.

OVERALL:

So overall here’s how it all breaks down for any newbies:

Diamond - $3600 USD (with the exchange rate at the time came to $4945.45 CDN)

Setting - $950 CDN (950 Plat with 5% Ruthenium – ring = 9.25 grams)

Pre grading cert - $26.75

Full Cert - $107.00

Final cost of ring & certs - $6029.20 CDN

Replacement value on Cert = $17,550.00 CDN (a bit excessive don’t you think?)

If you have any questions or want more details just drop me a line – I know how crazy this process can be … and although it was supposed to be a happy time I found myself nervous, stressed and untrusting the whole time! It’s unfortunate, but I’m glad the whole ordeal is over. Now I just have to propose!

Here are some photos too.----------------

Volred

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 11/8/2003 1:57:25 PM k-man wrote:

This way, I would only be hit with the US – CDN exchange rate. If I had the diamond shipped to Canada, I would have had to pay a 10% excise tax plus 15% federal and provincial tax. So right off the bat I saved over 25% by only driving 1.5 hours!! ----------------

Wait, I am a Canadian also. But I am not close enough to the border to be able to drive across and P/U a diamond, then drive back.

That means that I will have to pay for an excise tax and other taxes among other things. Plus I have to worry about the exchange rate.

I wish there was a good diamond dealer in canada that I could buy diamonds from.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results