shape
carat
color
clarity

The whole clothes size thing...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, this has recently been sparked by MelissaSue ordering her dress and the size she had to get. I had to go one size up from my regular dress size, but there was a sample, so im not concerned about it not fitting (except from the weight im loosing!
9.gif
)

This past weekend, i took my BMs to get fitted for their dresses. The store only had one sample size, a 14. Everyone tried on the sample and we pinned it to make it fit, so everyone could get an idea of the look. It fit my SIL perfect, so she just ordered that size, but everyone else needed to be measured. Based on the measurements, the chart gave different sizes than what the girls could really wear.

Example:
MOH chart size=8, she could really wear a 6 (her regular dress size)
BM1 chart size=6, she could really wear a 2 (her regular dress size)
BM2 went to a different store (OOT) and was able to try on the correct sample size, which is also her regular dress size
SIL''s regular dress size is a 14
I even tried it on and it fit fine, i can wear a 12/14 depending on the dress

Since the store only had the one sample, after being measured they tried on different styles by the same company to get the size. Now why would the chart not match up to what the girls could really wear? I understand the whole you have to order according to your largest measurement, but for the one size to be off by 4 sizes????? Isnt that a little extreme???

Anyone know a similar situation? It has me a little worried about the sizes being correct, but those of us that could fit the 14 did, and the one BM that had the right sample size, got her normal size too. Thank goodness i wanted us to go to the store and try on the dresses (it was about 45 minutes away and i knew what the sample size was) otherwise they would have been paying out the nose for alterations!

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
I''m confused.. how do you know that the first two bridesmaids could REALLY wear a size 2, or a 6, when they only had the size 14 sample to try on? I mean they very well could be able to fit into them, but you don''t know that for sure. BM dresses DO run small generally, just like wedding dress sizes. I wear a size 2-4 in dresses usually, although those vary more than any other clothes for me, depending on the cut, etc.. and even at David''s bridal, which is a little bit more generous in thier sizing I had to get a size 6 for it to zip up. It was too big in my boobs of course.. because what isnt''..

The sample sizes for bm dresses at my dress shop are usually a size 10.. and I have irred a bunch on.. because my BMs cant usually shop with me.. and the 10s are BIG on me.. I dont know if by THOSE size charts I would be a 10 or not.. i think I checked the Dessy/After six size chart once and I''m more like a 6-8 in those..

Oh.. and the other thing.. going from a 6 to 2 is not four sizes. its two sizes.. There is not a size 5 or 3, so they dont'' count.. and I don''t think varying two sizes from your normal size is so bad.

When I was a bridesmaid in my sisters wedding 10 years ago.. I was 15 years old and thin, but very self concious. I was about a size 3 in juniors jeans.. and when they told me I had to order a size 8 I just about fainted.. The dress WAS big when it came in. and I''m not convinced it was altered properly.. because i Look fat in all the pictures.. but I realy think that is what they had to order in order to make sure it fit.

You really DON''T want the dresses coming in and not zipping up.. taht would be a NIGHTMARE!

So.. t hat was a really long post about nothing... yay!

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
My gown is the size 10 sample, but I just looked up the Maggie size chart, and I should have gotten a 12 or 14! And I was so excited about fitting into a smaller dress size than normal!
41.gif
I usually wear size 12 or so.

I was BM dress shopping with my sister, and I tried on a size 6 dress at a store cause it was too small for her and we wanted to see it ON someone. It zipped up and everything on me - I couldn''t breathe, but it zipped! That salon had only been open for a month or two at that time, so I can''t imagine that sample was stretched out that much!

Sister ordered her dress in size 16, which is within her normal size range. One BM had to go up a dress size, from 8 to 10, the other 2 were able to get their "normal" sizes.

In my experience, sizes are so arbitrary that they just don''t matter anymore!

njc

Brilliant_Rock
The sample dress was a 14. The store had more sample sizes in a similar dress (straps, a-line and tea-length vs. strapless, a-line and full-length) by the SAME COMPANY. The saleswoman handed my girls the similar style dresses FIRST in the sizes they ordered and normally wear after measuring them. She didnt even have them try on the sizes the chart said they needed. I asked that she was sure the dresses would fit and her reply was a size measures the same for all the dresses by that company, a 6 for style #XYZ, is a 6 for style #ABC, is a 6 for style #RST. If they had tried on something totally different and not so similar in style by the same company, i wouldnt be so comfortable. Plus 3 out of 5 tried on the correct size in the correct dress.

75102.jpg
73203.jpg

The dress i want. The dress they tried on.

The only real difference between the dresses is the bust on the strapless is HUUUUUUGE (it was a joke on me, im talking i need like EEEs) and the strapped dress bust fit the girls perfectly. The one friend has DDs and she fit them perfectly into a size 2 of the correct dress, the others are not as well endowed, so the large bust is in all the sizes.

Sorry i made a mistake. Kill me. 2 SIZES. And i agree, if someone had to order up sizes, no big deal. But the chart wanted them to order the WRONG SIZE. I just measured myself and it says i should be a 16. The 14 fit and was even loose enough in the waist to make me think i could go 12.

I guess my whole point to this thread is how ridiculous womens clothes are and how shocked i was to find out that the size chart was wrong and that i was glad i had the girls there to try the sizes on. I agree too big is better than too small, but less alterations=less time needed for alterations=less money for alterations=happier BMs.

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
i didn''t mean to sound nasty NJC - I''m sorry. I understand now. The only size my shop carries in ANY dresses is 10. Which is such a joke.. because it doesn''t fit ANY of my bridesmaids.. two are teeny itty bittys (like size 4s).. one is a size 20 or so.. and my sis... well she''s the only one who hasn''t gone to try them on with me, but I''m guessing she''s at least a 12-14.

So did you order the sizes that they tried on, or the sizes the chart said?

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Its okay, i guess i didnt explain very well.

We ordered the sizes they tried on and normally wear, not the chart sizes. Im relieved to have them ordered, but wont sleep well until they are in and i know 100% they fit!

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
i really love the dress you are getting. Are you getting it in Black and white or other colours (I think you've told me this before.. but I forget.. I look at way too many wedding bios on the knot to remember everyones colors). I think that dress would look so pretty for my girls in pink with black.. I also saw one in the shop yesterday that is very similar (but not strapless..) that I LOVE.. but I don't think it would work on my girls

912bg.jpg

I just can't do the empire waist v-neck thing with my giant boobed bridesmaid.. even though i LOVE it.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Every company seems to have something similar. This one just happened to be cheaper and had a lot more color choices. Im doing black with a light blue. The dress actually has detachable spaghetti straps and a little pouch type purse too. Below is my photoshoped version of it. Im going to use light blue hydrangeas, so i was trying to match that.

Forever Yours has something similar to that dress in a strapless version with a big sash. They are also great about how you can do anything in any of their colors. Not just change the dress color, but dress and trim/accent colors. And the strapless dresses seem to provide room for the well endowed.

75203.jpg

Style#75203

colors_bmdress256.jpg

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
I think its ridiculous. I usually wear a 0/2, I measured for my BM dress as a 6, ended up ordering a 4, when I got it and tried it on, it was so big it nearly slips staright off when i put it on (my super flat chestedness of course is no help in holding up strapless dresses ;-P). What is the point of those measurement charts anyway?

njc

Brilliant_Rock
My point exactly.
9.gif

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
hm... i dunnos but when i ordered my bm dress last yr according to teh impression bridal chart, it came out just perfect! i only had to hem it. i guess i was lucky, but maybe some manufacturers are more reliable in sizing?! (oh, the horror! actually delivering a dress in the correct size!)

plus i stood there and made sure the woman at the salon wrote the correct size on the order form, so i could call them on it if they tried to order the wrong size to get more alterations outta me.... call me paranoid!

JessesGrl

Brilliant_Rock
I do not know what size was ordered for my wedding gown....I am a size 4 in dresses, 5/6 in Jeans and I am sure my gown is probably bigger than a four....whatever, this happens! Bridal gowns are notorious for being BIGGER than your regular size...maybe to make us women even more insecure about our bodies!! I love my dress, it makes me feel pretty....that is all that matters

JessesGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Melissa- that is the dress I wanted....but your right....my future sister in law is a size 10 and the dress looked HORRIBLE on her, not flattering at all...

windy1365

Shiny_Rock
I wear a size 2. For my dress, they had to order a size 8 because of my bust (I have had a breast enlargement, though), and then the dress had to be taken in to a size 4 the rest of the way down.

So... yes, the dresses usually run two sizes bigger than your normal clothes... plus, if someone has bigger boobs, then that could make the jump even bigger... or an oversized butt.

windy1365

Shiny_Rock
Also... my flowergirl''s mama did not order the bigger size that the dress shop recommended... and it is VERY snug on her and probably looks bad... I haven''t seen it b/c she''s out of state. I think they feel that it is much better to error on too large than too small. You can always take it in, but it is very hard to take it out!!

They mostly have the BM dresses in the shop so that you can get an idea about how it looks... not trying to find out your size from it. They use measurements to figure out what size to order.

kanne

Brilliant_Rock
I just ordered my dress (decided not to wear the Ebay gown but went for the whole shebang instead). They measured me and ordered it in an 8. It was a great feeling for me since I''ve had my ups and downs with the Weight Monster. I can not gain an ounce between now and October!!

I am not a huge boobed gal and the bridal attendant was so funny. I said "Well, I''d love to see what some cups could do in this dress" and she said "Oh honey, don''t worry, the seamstresses have tons of boobs to choose from". HA!

I love being the bride.
9.gif

windy1365

Shiny_Rock
Lovey - be careful about the whole fitting in the dress thing. I got my dress about 10 months before my wedding. The seamstress kept saying... you''ve gained weight... you''re not going to fit in your dress. I am 5''8 and was only 120 lbs at the time. I also moved out of state and my dress is back home, so I won''t know if I fit into it until the day before. I just stopped eating anything but Special K... and a skim milk latte in the morning... lean cuisine for lunch... and Special K at night. Now, I only weight 109 lbs, and I look just terrible. I lost four pounds just last weekend. Now... my wedding is in 24 days... and I''m going to fit in it alright... it''s just going to hang on me. : (

Instead of everyone saying... oh, look how pretty the bride is... they are going to be talking about how sickly I look! These people haven''t seen me in about five months b/c I moved out of state, so it''s going to be a shock.

I hope I can bounce back after the wedding and get some curves back.

But... I will still have my big boobs for my wedding regardless... they don''t get smaller when I lose weight!

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
oh Windy - please be careful. 5;8" and 109 lbs is TEENY. I am 5''6" and when I weighed 108 I was sickly looking.. I know that you know this. but.. you really should try to put a little weight back on before the wedding. I am eating some peanut butter cookies right now, you should have some too.
emteeth.gif

And also, you don''t want your dress to hang on you. One of my friends (the one who just got married this weekend) in high school bought her prom dress very early (she used to buy them on clearance sales the year before).. and then lost a lot of weight.. her dress was just huge and it looks really ridiculous in the pictures. It sort of looks like she is wearing a nightgown or something.

Lovey - Congrats on ordering your gown too. Did you order the same dress you got off of ebay, but the real version? Or a different dress? I got great boob inserts for my friends wedding. they were only $20 from Amerimark.com and are just like the victorias secret ones. I don''t know if you remember how I was saying the dress was too big in the boobs, but they totally fixed the problem!

windy1365

Shiny_Rock
I realized that I had a problem... so I quit running so much. I quit going to two exercise classes a day... and I ate some meatballs tonight instead of Special K.

JessesGrl

Brilliant_Rock
It is good that your are able to get a handle on it and realize you look sickly...I am a recovered anorexic/bulimic who was hospitalized at 17...now I am getting my MSW (in may) and hope to specialize in Eating Disorder Treatment. It''s funny, the whole eating disorder feelings came back when I was wedding dress shopping...it is good to nip it in the butt!!! and I realize I looke a lot "sexier" to my fiance the way I am!

kanne

Brilliant_Rock
hi gals

Melissa Sue, I''m going to check out those boobs right now. I like the idea of ordring them from the web. Too funny!! I ordered a NEW dress! I''m going to try to post a picture. Hope this works. The only difference is mine is ivory..

Windy- thanks! Don''t worry about me tho, I tend to lose a little weight in the summer from all the swimming and general running around. I watch what I eat, but I''m not too frantic.
1.gif
Just need lose that extra 5lbs that I put on during the holidays. mmmmm..Christmas cookies..yummy! That would put me back at 130 (I''m 5''8").

lianfront.jpg

kanne

Brilliant_Rock
and the back. very fun..
10.gif

lianback.jpg

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
OH MY GOSH.. lovey.. that dress is SOOOO Pretty I could just DIE!!. AHHHHH.. Its soo pretty.. the lace, and the bottom.. and the LOW BACK... I LOVE it!

kanne

Brilliant_Rock
thanks!! It''s all lace- just like yours. I absolutely love that look. My mom''s dress was also that same gorgeous french lace. Now onto the veil and accessories.. have you seen the hair pins made by Tacori? So fabulous..but very pricey. I was thinking of having my hair up in a 40''s type do with a few of the pins stuck in the back (they look like little flowers made from pearl). Maybe I can find a similar pin style for less..

Are you wearing any hair jewelry or flowers?

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/7/2005 10:17:28 PM
Author: windy1365
I realized that I had a problem... so I quit running so much. I quit going to two exercise classes a day... and I ate some meatballs tonight instead of Special K.
Windy1365...

I''m relieved that you posted this- I know you mentioned your weight & running in the workout thread and I almost pm''d you because I was VERY CONCERNED about you. I don''t want to sound preachy, please understand that I have an eating disorder (originally bulimia, now compulsive over-eating) and will struggle w/my weight for the rest of my life. I''m just worried about you.

I know your wedding is right around the corner and you are super busy but if you called a nutritionist today you could get an appointment ASAP, put on a little weight before the wedding and make sure that your hair & skin look their best as well.
Just an idea.

I know you''ll be a beautiful bride!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I think formal dress sizes are always a bit larger. I am usually a one or a two at gap or banana republic , but in some dresses like bcbg I can be a six.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Ah the whole weight thing. If your naturally slim and it sounds like you are you have to be careful about losing weight.

There are sooo many different types of bodies and they are all really cool in their own right.

Sometimes being a little too thin can be as hard too. I have always been a very thin person with smaller boobs and I struggled with trying to gain weight for years. I hated being thin through high school etc and got made fun of . They called me toothpick, and I wore baggy clothes to hide my body.

Basically I finally just had to say to myself "hey this is my body type, this is the way my body wants to be" and accept it. I''m only 110 and 5''5

If your thin enjoy being a waif, certain clothes really flatter thin people. If your voluptuos enjoy your curves other clothes accentuate curves really well.

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
oh lovey- that dress is awesome!!! i love the rufflies on teh top and bottom!! can't wait to see it on you!!!
9.gif
9.gif

i am thinking more and more about that lacy casablanca dress vs the silk paloma blanca... everyone here w/the lacy dresses *might* convert me...............
2.gif

ETA- and windy - im so glad you're eating more than special K!!!!

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
Lovey- I know exactly the hair pins you are talking about. I am definitely going to wear a tiara.. but I don''t know what kind yet.. My friend told me I could borrow hers when she bought it, so I''m sort of hoping she will still be willing to lend it to me. Its very pretty and sparkly.. I am also thinking of getting a pretty sparkly clip thingy..

because i''m wearing my hair half up.. but I don''t know if it would be TOO much with the veil and tiara.. along these lines..
hair_medlong_4n.jpg

And then the veil could go right underneath that, and almost look like it was attached.. but I don''t know!

windy1365

Shiny_Rock
Here is a picture of a dress that is almost exactly like mine... the same designer and everything, except that mine was originally a strapless... and the front comes straight across. I had spagehetti straps built on it b/c I didn''t want to be tugging at it the whole time.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results