shape
carat
color
clarity

The War of the Cushions: Ladies'' Votes Needed Please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

coz3197

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone!

After reading your advice for months, I think I''ve finally narrowed my search down to a couple cushions. The problem is, I honestly have no idea which diamond The Boss would prefer. There is about a $500 price differential between them, it''s really a matter of personal taste at this point. The ring will be somewhat contemporary and simple. I''m designing a standard size full bezel for the diamond and a standard 2.0-2.2mm thick slightly rounded band/ring in white gold.

I would be grateful to get some opinions as to which stone you prefer. The picture is under fluorescent lighting.

Thanks so much in advance!

The diamond on the left:

Cushion Brilliant
Carat weight: 1.51
Cut: Ideal
Color: J
Clarity: VS1
Certificate: GIA
Depth: 66.4%
Table: 64.0%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Girdle: Medium
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.73*6.67*4.30
Ratio: 1.01

The diamond on the right:

Cushion Modified Brilliant
Carat weight: 1.52
Cut: Ideal
Color: J
Clarity: SI1
Certificate: GIA
Depth: 63.2%
Table: 58.0%
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Girdle: Slightly thick, faceted
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Faint
Measurements: 7.18*6.44*4.07
Ratio: 1.11

dscn3410.jpg

Left - no brainer for me.

I haven''t a clue as to what the percentages should be on a cushion, but from the picture alone, I like the one on the left much more.

I would prefer the diamond on the left.

Date: 3/26/2009 3:36:21 PM
Author: neatfreak
A wholehearted ditto, here.

Date: 3/26/2009 3:45:54 PM
Author: Haven

Date: 3/26/2009 3:36:21 PM
Author: neatfreak
A wholehearted ditto, here.
Thritto.

Can''t get any easier. No need to look at numbers at all. LEFT it is for me.

I''m not sure if it''s a quaditto or not but the left by far!

It is always amazing to me how *different* two cushions can be. Based on the pic, I agree with the others, the one on the left for sure.

Left! Love the shape and the facet pattern.

I think we are up to sevendittos the left one!

The one on the left, hands down. I don''t know anything about %ages so I went by photo alone.

Diamond on the right is a fugly duckling.

I much prefer the diamond on the LEFT
1.gif

Date: 3/26/2009 4:26:35 PM
Author: Addy
The one on the left, hands down. I don''t know anything about %ages so I went by photo alone.
Jah, same here.
1.gif

Wow, thanks for the quick response! You guys aren''t even making this interesting are you?:)

Date: 3/26/2009 4:57:52 PM
Author: coz3197
Wow, thanks for the quick response! You guys aren''t even making this interesting are you?:)

Did you want interesting? We could always try. PP gave it a good start.

Just wait until you have us choose settings; then we promise to be all over the map.
2.gif

Even I, a complete novice/noob agree that the left one is so much prettier. Can''t wait to see what it''s going to go into.

Sorry, but there was no comparison.
2.gif

As mentioned though, settings could be entirely different.....
9.gif

How does GIA rate a cushion cut "Ideal"? What are the parameters?
Just curious. Perhaps I should start another thread.

Date: 3/26/2009 5:15:44 PM
Author: Haven
How does GIA rate a cushion cut ''Ideal''? What are the parameters?
Just curious. Perhaps I should start another thread.
They don''t Haven, this is just a vendor applied description, no such thing as Ideal Cut from GIA for any shape, Excellent is their highest cut grade and that refers to rounds only.

the one on the left is gorgeous... the one on the right doesn''t even come close!

I say left also
35.gif
35.gif
9.gif

Left

Definitely left for my taste!! It''s a great balanced look in my opinion somewhere in between modern and chunky.

Left. Especially considering the way you plan to set it as a solitaire. For what it is worth, I have seen in person many diamonds cut in a similar style to the one on the right (someone needs to step up here for poor Righty). When the work is top-notch, the stones can be spectacular, sparkly, glitter-balls. Really sensational. Works nicely as a center to a halo style ring where you might prefer flashy, itsy-bitsy, sparklies over chunky, fiery facets. That being said, I'm not sure this particular stone on the right has it to give, and, of the two, I prefer the chunkier faceted Lefty. Poor Righty. Interesting because even though OP states a more "modern" look is desired, we all prefer the more traditional diamond (although I consider them both more modern looking type cushions).

When I think cushion, in my mind''s eye I see a stone that looks like the one on the left.
30.gif

To the left, to the left. Everything you own in the stone to the left.
41.gif
I just like the contrast patterns in that stone much more.

The one on the left!!! Faceting pattern is gorgeous!!!!!
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP