Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

The wait is killing me

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jun 5, 2010
Messages
706
I am waiting for my custom pendant necklace to be finished. As the time approaches the 5-week deadline (only 3 days left), I am getting anxious and restless. I cannot stop thinking about it, like when it will be done, whether or not it will look perfect, etc. I try to keep myself busy; it helps somewhat. But as soon as I get free (e.g. during the lunch break), I think about it again.

How would you cope with this?
 

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
11,025
Hmm, get involved in something else.... A book, magazine, the next project :naughty:
 

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Apr 26, 2007
Messages
8,087
Oooooooo, Cookie - been there. I love my custom jeweler, but he's like the king of the last minute delay. My coping method is usually to obsess and then start a PS thread where I tell people all about what the stone is like, what the design is like, what I'm expecting the finished product to look like - you get the idea.

Sooooooooo ... tell me about your pendant!
 

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
11,025
Circe|1314202427|2998276 said:
Oooooooo, Cookie - been there. I love my custom jeweler, but he's like the king of the last minute delay. My coping method is usually to obsess and then start a PS thread where I tell people all about what the stone is like, what the design is like, what I'm expecting the finished product to look like - you get the idea.

Sooooooooo ... tell me about your pendant!

I second this!!! Tell us, tell us!
 

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jun 5, 2010
Messages
706
Haha. Circe, Amy, you two are so funny! I will tell you about the pendant ;))

The main stone is an 18.1mm round rose quartz, concave cut by Richard Homer. It weighs 19.07ct. It looks like a sea shell, and has a delicate, dreamy color. I have a thing for large and pretty stones. :razz:

This is actually a reset for this rose quartz. The previous custom setting didn't turn out well. The pendant had many issues and was not wearable. Luckily, I got a full refund from the jeweler without trouble.

Later I commissioned the project with a different jeweler. My requirements and preferences were the same as before, but this second jeweler came up with a different design, which I think (or hope, at least) will look good. The stone is going to be set in a very thin millegrained bezel. The bezel will hopefully bring the focus to the front of the stone. There will be quite some wire work on the side to kind of hide the concave grooves. The wire work will echo the shape of the concave grooves.

The pendant will be attached to a 17'' 1.6mm rolo chain, with a jump ring at 16''. I hope the chain will be sturdy enough for this heavy stone. I vaguely remember the jeweler said something is hollow when we were discussing the chain options. I was quoted $800 for this chain in platinum (including the jump ring and the lobster clasp).. does it sound like a reasonable price for a solid 17'' 1.6mm platinum rolo chain? It would sound too much for its hollow sibling, right?
 

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 13, 2005
Messages
2,238
I know the feeling all too well.

I try to distract myself with little cheapie purchases, that way I have something to look forward to in the mail while I wait.

Can't wait to see your pendant!
 

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jun 5, 2010
Messages
706
platinumrock|1314215418|2998424 said:
I try to distract myself with little cheapie purchases, that way I have something to look forward to in the mail while I wait.
I purchased a silver necklace a few days ago, and I am wearing it! :Up_to_something:
 

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jul 7, 2004
Messages
10,763
I seriously might be the queen of waiting. It took 6 months for Vatche to get my e-ring made (had to return it repeatedly!) and the final go around Mr. Vatche made it. He did a great job, and quickly. And I owe Chris at ERD mad props for helping me out with that. But I was without an ering for 6 months. It was beyond frustrating and super disappointing. I then waited 3 more for a remade wedding band, which I wasn't in love with but wore til my newest one finally got here, another 3 months later. So a full year almost in waiting. I am still not raelly sure how I got through that but it SUCKED and I had to try to stay occupied by invite jobs.
 

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 13, 2005
Messages
2,238
Cookie|1314216428|2998441 said:
platinumrock|1314215418|2998424 said:
I try to distract myself with little cheapie purchases, that way I have something to look forward to in the mail while I wait.
I purchased a silver necklace a few days ago, and I am wearing it! :Up_to_something:
LOL! Did it help? :naughty:

Welcome back, Ame! I haven't seen you in ages!
 

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jun 5, 2010
Messages
706
platinumrock|1314217491|2998449 said:
Cookie|1314216428|2998441 said:
platinumrock|1314215418|2998424 said:
I try to distract myself with little cheapie purchases, that way I have something to look forward to in the mail while I wait.
I purchased a silver necklace a few days ago, and I am wearing it! :Up_to_something:
LOL! Did it help? :naughty:
It definitely helped! :bigsmile: But it also made me want more pedants! Ideally one in each color. I am already contemplating the next project. :naughty: DH is going to kill me..
 

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 13, 2005
Messages
2,238
Cookie|1314217838|2998456 said:
platinumrock|1314217491|2998449 said:
Cookie|1314216428|2998441 said:
platinumrock|1314215418|2998424 said:
I try to distract myself with little cheapie purchases, that way I have something to look forward to in the mail while I wait.
I purchased a silver necklace a few days ago, and I am wearing it! :Up_to_something:
LOL! Did it help? :naughty:
It definitely helped! :bigsmile: But it also made me want more pedants! I am already contemplating the next project. :naughty: DH is going to kill me..
Going to PS to alleviate your bling obsession is like an alcoholic that visits the liquor store just to "look".

You know what's going to happen. :lol: It's a vicious cycle, I tell ya!

I'm suprised I'm still alive. :Up_to_something:
 

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jun 5, 2010
Messages
706
platinumrock|1314218253|2998461 said:
Cookie|1314217838|2998456 said:
platinumrock|1314217491|2998449 said:
Cookie|1314216428|2998441 said:
platinumrock|1314215418|2998424 said:
I try to distract myself with little cheapie purchases, that way I have something to look forward to in the mail while I wait.
I purchased a silver necklace a few days ago, and I am wearing it! :Up_to_something:
LOL! Did it help? :naughty:
It definitely helped! :bigsmile: But it also made me want more pedants! I am already contemplating the next project. :naughty: DH is going to kill me..
Going to PS to alleviate your bling obsession is like an alcoholic that visits the liquor store just to "look".

You know what's going to happen. :lol: It's a vicious cycle, I tell ya!

I'm suprised I'm still alive. :Up_to_something:
LOL! :lol:
 

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jun 5, 2010
Messages
706
ame|1314217121|2998447 said:
I seriously might be the queen of waiting. It took 6 months for Vatche to get my e-ring made (had to return it repeatedly!) and the final go around Mr. Vatche made it. He did a great job, and quickly. And I owe Chris at ERD mad props for helping me out with that. But I was without an ering for 6 months. It was beyond frustrating and super disappointing. I then waited 3 more for a remade wedding band, which I wasn't in love with but wore til my newest one finally got here, another 3 months later. So a full year almost in waiting. I am still not raelly sure how I got through that but it SUCKED and I had to try to stay occupied by invite jobs.
That really sucked! I am glad that you've got what you love, though!
 

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jun 5, 2010
Messages
706
The jeweler contacted me today, and said it won't be completed until sometime next week. That's two more weeks' wait for me! :((

Now that I know it will definitely be completed in two weeks, I don't feel as impatient as I was last week.
 

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Apr 26, 2007
Messages
8,087
Ah, drat for more waiting - but I'm glad you have a definite end-point in sight! I remember seeing pics of the first iteration - while it's a pity it was unwearable, that stone is enchanting. Cannot wait to see how it looks in its new home ....
 

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jul 7, 2004
Messages
10,763
What, why? Is this storm related or what?

platinumrock|1314217491|2998449 said:
Welcome back, Ame! I haven't seen you in ages!
HI!!! Its been quite a while, for sure! How are you!?

Cookie|1314221054|2998482 said:
ame|1314217121|2998447 said:
I seriously might be the queen of waiting. It took 6 months for Vatche to get my e-ring made (had to return it repeatedly!) and the final go around Mr. Vatche made it. He did a great job, and quickly. And I owe Chris at ERD mad props for helping me out with that. But I was without an ering for 6 months. It was beyond frustrating and super disappointing. I then waited 3 more for a remade wedding band, which I wasn't in love with but wore til my newest one finally got here, another 3 months later. So a full year almost in waiting. I am still not raelly sure how I got through that but it SUCKED and I had to try to stay occupied by invite jobs.
That really sucked! I am glad that you've got what you love, though!
I am too. I thought I was going to lose my mind. I really did.
 

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jun 5, 2010
Messages
706
ame|1314637670|3004578 said:
What, why? Is this storm related or what?
I didn't ask for an explanation, but I don't think it's storm related because it was supposed to be completed by last Friday before the storm hit. I guess the jeweler just got too much work recently and fell behind.
 

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
2,201
Cookie|1314636362|3004555 said:
The jeweler contacted me today, and said it won't be completed until sometime next week. That's two more weeks' wait for me! :((

Now that I know it will definitely be completed in two weeks, I don't feel as impatient as I was last week.


:shock: How awful!
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Top 5 Honeymoon Destinations
    Top 5 Honeymoon Destinations
    Tennis Bracelet Love
    Tennis Bracelet Love
    Pretty Princess Cut
    Pretty Princess Cut

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top