shape
carat
color
clarity

the upgrade she didnt want

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2007 9:24:59 PM
Author: poptart
But maybe I am misunderstanding and she actually did mean it in a rude way.

*M*
hey! I defend this woman''s right to make catty rude comments to her husband at lunch!!! LOL He just never should have said anything, the twirpy man!!!!

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
I think everyone here has mentioned a lot of great points related to this topic. I don''t think it''s strange for someone to think that a 2 carat diamond is too large for them personally -- everyone has different taste. I also don''t feel like boys get their unfair share of toys, either.

I know that personally, I wouldn''t feel comfortable buying a $25,000 diamond unless my house was paid off (and a car, if I had a car payment at that time.) But if everything was paid off, and my retirement was all set up, why not?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2007 10:04:28 PM
Author: lumpkin

This is such an interesting thread indeed.

Margarw: I can see why the wife''s comment would have miffed you, but I would like to think that she didn''t mean it in a rude way. If I were presented with a possible 2 ct diamond upgrade in the future, I would also turn it down because it was too big for my taste. But it would have absolutely no reflection on anyone else''s 2 ct diamonds. I kind of see it like this: people don''t wear certain colors or styles of clothing because it does not flatter them, and in the same way perhaps she felt a larger stone would not look good *on her*. Which of course doesn''t mean that your ring looks bad on you. But maybe I am misunderstanding and she actually did mean it in a rude way.

*M*

I agree. I have seen a few really big rocks and I just LOVE to look at them! Would I love to have one? Oh, my goodness, yes. But there is a point where I would have to cut off. Size is soooooo relative. I could not carry off a 2 carat diamond. It would completely distract me from all the daily things I have going on -- actually it has -- I had one, LOL! It was just too much for me. But although it''s too much for ME, I would certainly love to oggle yours and admire it on you. As long as you are comfortable with it, REALLY comfortable with it, I think you should wear it happily and not give what someone else thinks a second thought.

People spend their money differently but most people have a weakness of some sort. I''ve seen it with neighbors and family alike, who can''t understand how one family spends so much money on clothes, or toys for their kids, or the new car, or home furnishings and decor, etc., when they have a boat, jet skis and a time share or a lake house or two closets full of shoes and hats or they vacation every year! Really, it''s up to you and your husband how you spend your disposable income, and no one else''s. Likewise, I TRY not to judge how others spend theirs even though I sometimes don''t appreciate the same interests they have. I''ve even caught myself thinking, ''They could afford the diamond they seem jealous of me for if they wouldn''t buy so much impulse crap.'' Which is true, they could, but they like THEIR crap! They can somehow justify spending $200 at Michael''s every few weeks and end up not using a lot of it and having nowhere to store it, but can''t understand spending the same amount of money on one thing (can you tell I am thinking of someone in particular!), especially jewelry, even though it''s something to be worn daily and doesn''t take up storage....oh, well. We can''t make everyone else have our priorities, darn it all!!!
omg yes - I have friends who have more scrapbooking crap than they can use in a lifetime and it takes up more space and time and at this point more money than most ps projects!!!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
On the "gold digger" front ... I *HAVE* heard men labeled as "kept" ... and think it''s becoming a mini-trend among urban women in their late thirties & up -- dating & even marrying much younger men who haven''t become established in their careers & are maybe still "searching for themselves". SEVERAL of my friends have had relationships like this and people *DO* talk about the men as moochers, kept, exploitive, hangers-on etc....

So I don''t think it''s *always* women being labeled that way ... just, perhaps, MORE OFTEN.
2.gif

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
This is an interesting thread. Here''s a twist.

I work with the general public. I''ve noticed a lot of the younger generation want the very best, real expensive things, and want to NOT work. They want to find someone to take care of them. And I''ve noticed this more of the males than the females. It just blows my mind. I hear them talk about wanting real expensive cars and watches and bling. Yes bling. They want the P-diddy lifestyle and they are living on a beer budget, living at home with mommy and daddy, always looking for the "right" job. (Which means not working)

My husband and I both work very hard to have what we have. People are aways going give their opinions on what you shoud or shouldn''t buy. When I''m givin negative comments, I just give them a tight lip smile and go about my day. It''s nobodys business on what I should or shouldn''t spend my money on.
38.gif

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/11/2007 10:53:07 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

But maybe I am misunderstanding and she actually did mean it in a rude way.

*M*

hey! I defend this woman''s right to make catty rude comments to her husband at lunch!!! LOL He just never should have said anything, the twirpy man!!!!

You crack me up Cehra!

*M*

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
In my experience, I''ve heard people gossip in equal amounts about the luxury purchases of both men and women. The gossip always comes when a person is spending a lot of money on something they don''t need, when everyone knows that their situation would warrant different priorities. I hope that made sense. I also have seen equal shares of male and female "moochers". But maybe thats because I''m in CA and here, anything goes.

I also think that maybe women''s purchases are targeted more often because a lot of men''s purchases have useful purposes. For example, a big diamond is just an accessory while a new Harley is a form of transportation. Both are not necessities, but the Harley is easier to rationalize.
40.gif

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Did the woman tell you she thought your ring was too big or did her husband? Well I think sometimes women don''t get themselves nice things or accept them as gifts because they just psychologically have issues. Then again 2ct. can be too big for some people. At least for me I really prefer a sleek look with my jewelry lately and while I want to pick up some diamond studs and a bracelet I don''t know if I''d get a bigger ring. Some of the rings I tried on didn''t make my hand look nicer -they were overpowering, not sure I''m explaining it right, but anyways this is just my opinion. I don''t see why anyone should comment on the size of your ring unless its a compliment though!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2007 1:20:28 PM
Author: winternight
Did the woman tell you she thought your ring was too big or did her husband? Well I think sometimes women don''t get themselves nice things or accept them as gifts because they just psychologically have issues. Then again 2ct. can be too big for some people. At least for me I really prefer a sleek look with my jewelry lately and while I want to pick up some diamond studs and a bracelet I don''t know if I''d get a bigger ring. Some of the rings I tried on didn''t make my hand look nicer -they were overpowering, not sure I''m explaining it right, but anyways this is just my opinion. I don''t see why anyone should comment on the size of your ring unless its a compliment though!
I totally know what you mean. I prefer an understated look for the most part and because my fingers are big I can get away with wearing a larger stone without it standing out that much. I admit I''m less concerned about that now than I was 8 months ago though LMAO!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results