shape
carat
color
clarity

The ultimate home cleaning for a diamond? a ramble

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My new asscher is just big enough to easily tell when it is not perfectly clean, & it needs to be uber-clean to show its stuff. I just ordered a steamer, which will help, but meanwhile, this morning I tried a dishwasher powder soak then a vinegar rinse, and so far this is the best the stone has looked without going to the jeweler.
I know some people swear by the diamond stick, etc. but I found those products didn't work as well as Dawn. And I have tried an alcohol rinse, but it actually leaves some microscopic hazing. I'm beginning to think vinegar is better.
I think people who say they give their stones a quick scrub and they look great probably don't know that their diamonds could look much better. Sometimes I'll do the sonic with a scrub and rinse after, but then loupe and still see some light debris.
Why and how does the jeweler get such better results than home cleaning? What magic is going on behind the scenes when they disappear into the back room with your ring? LOL

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know the answers to your questions, but I have good luck with 1 part Mr. Clean (no ammonia) and 3 parts warm water!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For those who chime in with their cleaning concoctions, can you also share please what metal your rings are made with? I’ve read some metals shouldn’t be exposed to certain chemicals, so not sure what is/is not considered ‘safe’, but that would be helpful to know.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just put a bit of Dawn (the regular blue stuff, nothing special) in the bottom of a cup, then fill the cup with warm water and drop the rings in. After they soak for about 10 minutes or so, I scrub them with a soft toothbrush, rinse them with warm water, scrub them a second time, rinse a second time, and dry them with a paper towel. I do this almost daily. Haven't found anything else that works better!

ETA: My rings are various stones set in 18k yellow gold, 14k rose gold, and platinum. This method works great on all of them!

Last edited:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a fan of Sparkle Sparkle Platinum. It cleans better than anything I have ever tried. I bought it directly from the company. They make other cleaners but they are not as good as the platinum even on other metals. My e ring is platinum but I use it on all my stones. It cleans as good as a professional cleaning to me. I soak my jewelry in Caribean Gem cleaner overnight, then rinse and give a spritz with sparkle sparkle and a light toothbrush then rinse. The platinum repels dirt longer as well. A large 16oz bottle is about 20 bucks.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know the answers to your questions, but I have good luck with 1 part Mr. Clean (no ammonia) and 3 parts warm water!
I've used this on platinum and gold with equal success.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Why and how does the jeweler get such better results than home cleaning? What magic is going on behind the scenes when they disappear into the back room with your ring? LOL

When we disappear into the back room with your precious, we pop it into the ultrasonic, which each jeweler fills with his own "secret sauce". (water and ???)

If it is super gunky we may try a scrubbing with warm water and a brush first. After it has been vibrating in the warm to hot "secret sauce" for a few minutes, then we will pull it out, rinse it and if it is still needing it, scrub it some more before putting it back into the ultrasonic.

Once it looks clean after rinsing, then we hit it with the steamer. It should have been checked for loose stones prior to leaving your sight, but we also check to see that none of those small escape artists have left the scene before hitting it with the steamer. I always hold a catch basket under the ring when I am steaming just in case. I have actually only ever caught one, but that one made me glad I have the habit of doing so. Usually, the little rascals will make their escape efforts in the ultrasonic and then the liquid must be slowly drained with the final bit being drained through a seine to catch the delinquent.

Then we put more sauce in the ultrasonic and turn the heater back on and soon it will be ready for the next item(s). The sauce needs to be replenished often as it gets dirty quickly. It is amazing how much "finger gookie" gets caught between the prongs and your gems.

Once it is cleaned and dried, then it is time to hit it with the buffer and take off the small scratches and such, making it bright and wonderful. Another quick trip through the ultrasonic to remove the rouge, another steam bath and voila, your magnificent jewel looking magnificent again!

Wink

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I miss using an ultrasonic cleaner. When I had one I:

dislodged a pave diamond
loosened our engagement ring solitaire diamonds about 4x
almost lost my BFFs engagement ring diamond after I ultrasonic-ed her ring and the center stone popped out of her setting

So yeah, I don't use one anymore

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I miss using an ultrasonic cleaner. When I had one I:

dislodged a pave diamond
loosened our engagement ring solitaire diamonds about 4x
almost lost my BFFs engagement ring diamond after I ultrasonic-ed her ring and the center stone popped out of her setting

So yeah, I don't use one anymore

:eek2:

I usually wash mine (18K WG) daily with the same warm/hot water & Dawn Platinum dish soap others mentioned. I let it soak a bit, then give it a light scrub with a gentle brush (used for applying concealer make-up) all around the prongs, pavilion, etc., then give it a good rinse with warm water and blow it dry with my hair dryer. I did take advantage of a Bed, Bath & Beyond 20% off coupon to buy the GemOro steamer a while back, and I use that maybe once a month as a good ‘deep’ cleaning. But since I clean mine daily, there really isn’t ever any build-up of gunk to worry about with a solitaire. My new ring being made might require a little more attention to detail when cleaning as it has some intricacies that I’ll need to ensure are kept clean to maximize performance, like any good PSer would! :lol:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When we disappear into the back room with your precious, we pop it into the ultrasonic, which each jeweler fills with his own "secret sauce". (water and ???)

If it is super gunky we may try a scrubbing with warm water and a brush first. After it has been vibrating in the warm to hot "secret sauce" for a few minutes, then we will pull it out, rinse it and if it is still needing it, scrub it some more before putting it back into the ultrasonic.

Once it looks clean after rinsing, then we hit it with the steamer. It should have been checked for loose stones prior to leaving your sight, but we also check to see that none of those small escape artists have left the scene before hitting it with the steamer. I always hold a catch basket under the ring when I am steaming just in case. I have actually only ever caught one, but that one made me glad I have the habit of doing so. Usually, the little rascals will make their escape efforts in the ultrasonic and then the liquid must be slowly drained with the final bit being drained through a seine to catch the delinquent.

Then we put more sauce in the ultrasonic and turn the heater back on and soon it will be ready for the next item(s). The sauce needs to be replenished often as it gets dirty quickly. It is amazing how much "finger gookie" gets caught between the prongs and your gems.

Once it is cleaned and dried, then it is time to hit it with the buffer and take off the small scratches and such, making it bright and wonderful. Another quick trip through the ultrasonic to remove the rouge, another steam bath and voila, your magnificent jewel looking magnificent again!

Wink
Thanks, Wink
The secret sauce, huh...see that's what mean! Lol
You might enjoy the directions that came with my steamer today...
"Fill with undiluted water".
I'm still thinking about that one.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Wink
The secret sauce, huh...see that's what mean! Lol
You might enjoy the directions that came with my steamer today...
"Fill with undiluted water".
I'm still thinking about that one.

:lol-2::lol-2:

Yea, don’t go diluting your water ... it’ll really muck up your diamonds! :hand:

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:eek2:

I usually wash mine (18K WG) daily with the same warm/hot water & Dawn Platinum dish soap others mentioned. I let it soak a bit, then give it a light scrub with a gentle brush (used for applying concealer make-up) all around the prongs, pavilion, etc., then give it a good rinse with warm water and blow it dry with my hair dryer. I did take advantage of a Bed, Bath & Beyond 20% off coupon to buy the GemOro steamer a while back, and I use that maybe once a month as a good ‘deep’ cleaning. But since I clean mine daily, there really isn’t ever any build-up of gunk to worry about with a solitaire. My new ring being made might require a little more attention to detail when cleaning as it has some intricacies that I’ll need to ensure are kept clean to maximize performance, like any good PSer would! :lol:

what do you think of the steamer? I saw some reviews on Amazon that turned me off, but I really want one!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
what do you think of the steamer? I saw some reviews on Amazon that turned me off, but I really want one!

I like it! I read a lot of reviews as well - on Amazon, Bed, Bath & Beyond and one other site that I don’t recall. I find it easy to use. The biggest issue I read in the reviews seemed to be about it rusting out inside, so I make a point after using it to ensure I dump any remaining water from the tank and just leave it upside down on a towel for a little bit to dry out, and I store it with the lid off so that if there are still any droplets of water, it allows it to continue drying.

It came with rubber-coated tweezers, and a little screened basket thingy that attaches just below the ‘blast zone’, so if anything should come loose (but I don’t really have any pave type pieces), that should catch it.

It does the job well and was a good buy (IMO) with the 20% off coupon. :wavey:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ok, sold!

*looks for coupon*

thank you!

If you don’t get them in the mail, I think you can just go on their website and sign up for specials, and they’ll text you one just about every 30 days.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ha, yep. I JUST deleted a text yesterday. Oh well, I can wait

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ha, yep. I JUST deleted a text yesterday. Oh well, I can wait

If you already get them via text, I think - when you log on to BBB - that it will have your coupon kind of ‘available to use’ in your account at checkout. That’s what happened for me when I ordered mine, IIRC.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just to be sure, the "secret sauce" in my recipe is nothing in the ultrasonic. True, there are many recipes for the water in the ultrasonic, but in my opinion, what makes the rings look so much better at the store than at home is the buffer.

Trust me, most of you have NO INTEREST in owning a buffer at home. Without an expensive dust vacuum, it will have your very walls dirty and dingy pretty quick, and when you get the ring too hot and suddenly drop it, you are going to hear banging and clanging and be praying that you did not manage to chip one of your gems. When you drop it just right and the lucky deities are not paying attention, you can indeed win the "I chipped it," lottery.

Not to mention that a good polishing will grind the rouge right into your skin and you will not be able to wash it right off with a little soap and water. It will wear off as you replace your skin over a period of time, provided you are not continually adding more.

I know some of you were wanting me to solve your "what shall I use" in my water question, but there are so many good things that have been mentioned here that no matter what I say, it will not be the definitive answer. When you want that brand new look, take it to your nearest trusted local jeweler and have it cleaned and polished. The clean makes the diamonds sparkle, the polished makes the ring look incredible again.

Wink

mk206

Rough_Rock
Premium
@HappyNewLife what kind of ultrasonic did you use? I was reading a thread a few weeks ago where people seemed to like the Magnasonic and I was thinking of getting it, but your story makes me a little hesitant!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The clean makes the diamonds sparkle, the polished makes the ring look incredible again.

:clap: I think you hit the nail on the head right there - we can clean the diamonds until our fingers are water-logged & red, but if the metal that holds them is dingy/dinged/scratched/etc., it makes sense that it visually brings the whole ‘look’ down a bit. But super bright, shiny metal holding those sparklies in place just makes everything look new again.

I forgot to mention further up that I do also use a Sunshine polishing cloth on my daily-wear rings (gently) about once a month as well to keep the metal looking spiffy & shiny.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a fan of Sparkle Sparkle Platinum. It cleans better than anything I have ever tried. I bought it directly from the company. They make other cleaners but they are not as good as the platinum even on other metals. My e ring is platinum but I use it on all my stones. It cleans as good as a professional cleaning to me. I soak my jewelry in Caribean Gem cleaner overnight, then rinse and give a spritz with sparkle sparkle and a light toothbrush then rinse. The platinum repels dirt longer as well. A large 16oz bottle is about 20 bucks.
Gotta love the name Sparkle Sparkle!!

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not to mention that a good polishing will grind the rouge right into your skin and you will not be able to wash it right off with a little soap and water. It will wear off as you replace your skin over a period of time, provided you are not continually adding more.

Wink
:-o:-o:-o:-o I'll stick with Mr. Clean!!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, I think the best thing you can do to clean your rings is to not let them get dirty in the first place. Doing a quick soap-and-scrub with a soft toothbrush every day or two will keep the grunge away, so you won't have to worry about how to deep-clean them. Just get them cleaned by a pro (and the prongs checked, of course) every six months to a year and you'll be good to go! :))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I keep a baby toothbrush in the container with my toothbrush, and I always hold my e-ring under warm water and brush it a little before I put it on each day. I might soak it in jewelry cleaner once a week. It doesn't have much of a chance to collect dirt, but I rarely bother to get out my ultrasonic.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would use “demineralised water” in your ultrasonic cleaner.
Apart from needing to remove any “gunk” from near prongs and other metal parts that might be there, the only thing that will affect your diamonds brilliance is any “haze” over the surface.
Fingerprints, any sort of lotion or hair product can create a haze as can soap from washing your hands.
I do not recommend ever taking your rings off in a bathroom, especially not public ones, but this activity is going to put a film of soap residue over your diamond.
If you want optimal performance I would suggest be cleaning your diamond every nights day avoid wearing it while you are doing your hair, moisturizer makeup routines.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forgot to mention further up that I do also use a Sunshine polishing cloth on my daily-wear rings (gently) about once a month as well to keep the metal looking spiffy & shiny.

be careful polishing rhodium plating...the sunshine cloth is what I used to take the rhodium off my 14k white gold ring so it had a more natural pale gold look.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, I think the best thing you can do to clean your rings is to not let them get dirty in the first place. Doing a quick soap-and-scrub with a soft toothbrush every day or two will keep the grunge away, so you won't have to worry about how to deep-clean them. Just get them cleaned by a pro (and the prongs checked, of course) every six months to a year and you'll be good to go! :))

My diamonds never get "gunky", rather, my goal is to keep them totally oil-free. I often photograph them with a macro lens, and even after a short time during the photo shoot they have collected enough film on the surface to affect light performance.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results